Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .577 Snider? (Read 20502 times)
Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Re: .577 Snider?
Reply #15 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Some convoluted reasoning by a blacksmith:

A .223 is accepted as being just about right for woodchucks, coons, coyotes and so on.  It delivers about 1300 foot pounds of energy.  The reason (in my opinion) that it is so affective is that the little bullet never leaves the animal--it delivers all of its 1300 foot pounds into the target.  The 45-70 also delivers about 1300 foot pounds (in lighter loads) but its bullet does not stop in the animal--it blasts through it, drilling a hole and delivering most of its energy into the bank behind it.  It is not good on woodchucks.

The velocity of black powder is pretty much constant, between 1100 and 1600 fps.  If you reduce the caliber, you don't get much higher velocity.  Therefore, if you reduce the caliber, you reduce the energy.

I want to deliver 1300 foot pounds, but I want the bullet to stop in the animal. The only way to get the energy I want with black powder velocities is to use a large caliber; the only way to get the bullet to stop is for it to be short, with a terrible coefficient and low density.  These two requirements combined brings me to the .577 Snider.  With a nearly full wad cutter, in a light bullet, it should deliver a great blast to the animal without a lot of penetration--and without the danger of the bullet carrying far.

And yes, we have large varmints.  Cougar are becoming increasingly common in our area, and if I ever have to defend myself against one or kill one in my stock pen, I will not want a little caliber.

Am I rational or not?

IP Logged

terry buffum

Reply #16 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
I know Ross Seyfried did an article on finding accuracy with the .577 Snyder some time ago.  I think it was in Double Gun Journal.  The "plug" in the bullet's base seemed to be the key to making them work.

Life Member #205

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
A 12 gauge makes too much recoil and uses too much powder and lead.  70 grains behind a 400 grain bullet is about all I want to shoot in a lighter gun.  My double barrel 12 gauge is too much for my atlas even with moderate loads of 1F.

Sometimes whistle pigs drop with a good shot, and sometimes they don't.  I shot one with my 45-100 last year diagonally through the lungs and out the other side below the diaphram, with entrails 4" out the exit.  It ran 15 yards and died on its hole bank.  Had it been closer to its hole, I would not have known if it were dead.  I've shot them in the head with the same gun and had to shoot them twice.  (Sorry to be gory.)  I am looking for a little more shock than the 500 grain bullet I have been using.  I'm gonna try some backwards like Screwloose said to do and see how that does it.   

In the mean time, I'll keep dreamin and imagining what gun I'll put together, and when I do, I'll let you all know how it performs.  I'll probably ask a zilllion questions first though, so please be patient with me.

I'll see if I can lay my hands on that article, Terry.  Thanks.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #18 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Terry Buffum,

I believe that is the article I was thinking of!

Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Another option would be a round ball. They are one of the best killers. What I've done in my cap and ball is to size down a .490 ball to .454 for more bearing area. You could do the .615 ball that way, and fill the front of the case with lube.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Frnkeore, a round ball absolutely is a great stopper.  It would also simplify the twist question, at least for me, since I understand round ball twists better than bullet twists.  In looking for a bullet, I would probably try one one that is as close to a round ball's weight as possible to give up its energy quickly.  I think there are a lot of possibilities with this large caliber 1300 foot pound varmint idea.  I just hope it could hit what I aim at.   

Sizing down a larger ball is a consideration.  Thanks for the idea.

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
y'all ain't serious about the 1300ft*lb energy are you? Reminds me of folks sayin that old Elmer's loads were not effecient. Elmer said, "effiency be d***ed. I want to kill the critter"! I believe it was Elgin Gates who got a chance at an unplanned elephant hunt and was supplied with a Snider and original military ammo. Because of old ammo, a round or two squibbed and bounced off forehead before a good round killed him dead. Everone knows that by foot pounds the Snider on elephant is suicidal, cept the tusker!

The scenario presented reminds me of a certain whistle pig shot at close range with a 160 FMJ from a 6.5x54mm. The critter kept sittin straight up fore realizin he was dead and supposed to fall over. Prob'ly same with ole Snidey with .600RB or a patched up minie.

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Back in the days of skirmishing a 58 cal mini in backwards always worked on the event where you had to cut the board in half.  paper wraped and reduced charge tore nice holes in the board but only one rifle shot that way the rest pointy end out.  At one range we took the national guard team on for a keg of beer.  6 guys with muskets and 4 guys with M16s  it took us 48 hits to break it.  we left them on the line still shooting.  they just could not figure what the black line was for to aim at.

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Well Don, it sounds like a Snider would be good on anything from woodchucks to elephants.  How perfectly practical!  Wink

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 3:19am
Print Post  
Quote:
Well Don, it sounds like a Snider would be good on anything from woodchucks to elephants.  How perfectly practical!  Wink

Please remember if your shooting Black Powder (and that is all you should shoot in a Snider) that reduced charges can cause big problems. 

The powder charge should fill the case to the base of the bullet. It doesn't matter if you use a reduced charge in a ,58 cal muzzle loader as the bullet will be sitting on top of the charge after being rammed down.

Air space in BP cartridge cases in a definate No-No

Harry

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Oh, I know Harry.  We were talking about turning a light bullet upside down for woodchucks so there is a huge meplat and a big energy splat.  I'd still want all 1300 foot pounds delivered--a full charge.  Bigger game would want a heavier, rounded bullet.  Thank you for your concern though.

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Hello, WhistlePigger.  Boy those sure must be some big Woodchucks!
many years ago, I too wanted to shoot my 3 band .577 Snider.  Just gotten married, so money was tight.  I took a chamber-cast, & using 3/4" brass rnd. stk., turned up several cases.  I limited case capacity..down to 70grs.  Using the then new Goex Clear Shot..I was getting around 3" at 100yds..but was shooting very high.  I had to turn up a three piece swaging die, with plug that fir hollow base on the wad-cutter style minnie..I believe they came out around .590" dia. for tight brl. fit.  Lots of fun!  I'll have to get that old war horse out and try it with Swiss.  Best of luck!

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
[quote Well Don, it sounds like a Snider would be good on anything from woodchucks to elephants.  How perfectly practical!  Wink [/quote]

Just havin some fun gents, but fun is what ole Snidey is all about!

My particular fun load is a .600" pure lead round ball, 60 gr of 2F BP topped by Cream of wheat and two card wad with a grease cookie between. The amount of CoW is determined by how much it takes to compress slightly and allow ball to seat just below it's centerline in relation to the case mouth. One could seat the ball flush with case mouth.
This load shoots minute of chicken at 100 yd, is comfortable to shoot and gives a satisfying BOOM.

Snider cases made from Magtech brass hulls, when fired in my chamber, come out looking almost straight. To lessen working the brass too much I use a "neck sizer" to reduce the "neck" just enough to grip the .600" ball tight. Can also paper patch a minie up to fit snugly too. 

Don

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Oh boy this sounds just Perfect!  Minute of chicken at 100 yards--3" groups?  Why, our chucks are a lot bigger than chickens, so this'll work mighty fine.  Hmmm....I think I'll let more hens set this spring.   Grin  22-5-40, do you happen to remember the twist in that rifle?

I was thinking about all this and was wondering if a body could put grease over a ball and then a card wad over that to keep the grease clean.  It'd look more like a shotgun shell, but maybe it'd work, I don't know.   

Part of the fun of shooting coons at 2:00 AM is so that all the neighbors KNOW you are shooting coons at 2:00 AM.  I bet this'll handle that department just fine.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Whistlepigger, have you looked over at the British Militaria Forums, on the Snider section?  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

I'm sure that many of your questions would be answered there by folks who've been there & done that!

David

p.s.:  My Snider is in 40-50 SS, with an octagon barrel, tang sight, added on pistol grip...

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint