Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .577 Snider? (Read 20476 times)
Whistlepigger
Ex Member

.577 Snider?
Mar 4th, 2011 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Is anyone out there shooting a .577 Snider?  I am seriously considering it for a varmint cartridge and would like to discuss it with someone with experience shooting one.  Thanks.

VARMINT: anything you want dead which you leave lying where you shot it.

ps I think I might have put this in the wrong section. Sorry.

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2011 at 10:34pm by »  

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Re: .577 Snider?
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 4:18am
Print Post  
Hello Whistlepigger,

The .577 Snider is a fun gun to shoot but the military rifle is not what you would call a tackdriver. When this rifle was in service armies stood in massed ranks facing each other and fired on command. The army brass were happy if the bullet carried as far as the enemy because it didn't really matter where you hit him, he was out of the fight. 480 grains of soft lead can do massive damage.

In the last 50 years I have been lucky enough to have owned and shot a good number of these rifles and carbines, They are still quite common here in Britain. Even those with really good barrels could hardly group five shots into a 10" circle at 100 yards from a rest. A target rifle they are not, and to be quite honest they aren't accurate enough to be a 'Varmint' rifle. They would be a good stopper on angry or wounded wild Boar at very close range.

The Snider was a stop gap rifle and was very quickly replaced by the 577/450 Martini-Henry. Shoot it by all means, but personally I wouldn't shoot anything without a very good chance of killing it with the first shot. You may not have noticed it yet, but the Snider is not the fastest of single shots to reload.

Harry

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Thank you, Harry.  Here is my reasoning: Most of my hunting is for unwanted critters (possum, coon, woodchuck, stray cats, stray dogs) and most of them are closer than 50 yards.  Since black powder cartridges all have about the same velocity, the only way to get instant shock to the target is to have a bigger, flatter bullet with a terrible coefficient. My 45-100 just drills a hole and is pretty awful on smaller game.  My thought is to use a large caliber, nearly full wad cutter hollow point that will put the brakes on right away when it hits.  Round balls are fairly good at this, but I am hoping for more extreme terminal performance--closer to a high velocity rifle (like a .222) with a frangible bullet.  I would begin by loading one of Lyman's .575 hollow based bullets upside down (for a full wadcutter, hollow point boattail!) 

I would be happy with  2" to 3" at 50 yards, since that is within the vitals of most varmints and is about as far as I usually shoot them.  In your experience, is this an unreasonable expectation?   

What is a "stop gap rifle"?  and what do you mean when you say, "the Snider is not the fastest of single shots to reload"?

Thank you very much.  I really appreciate your response.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Well, FOR what it is worth, several years ago there was an article in a magazine, and I can't recall which one or when, that was about shooting the .577 snider. 

The man got a hold of some original surplus and dismantled it to discover a clay plug in the skirt of the hollow base bullet. Once he replicated this he got the gun to shoot pretty well.

He reasoned that the plug was, upon firing, being forced into the hollow base and causing the skirt to expand, thus filling the groves and sealing the bore stopping gases from going around the bullet, etc.

He showed in the article how he made the plugs and what hollow base bullet he used.

I really wish I could remember the magazine. Perhaps someone else on here might remember and post it.

But I at least hope that this may shed some light on how the Brits made the thing as accurate as they could "back in the day".

MerwinBray

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Sounds interesting.  I hope someone can find the article.   

Has anyone tried shooting a hollow based bullet backwards?

IP Logged

J. pickup
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
I owned one of these in the 1970's, i soon found out it was designed for mass fire only, very inaccurite.The best i ever got was 5" at 50 yards.Of course when the original rifle was designed in 1853 they knew very little about rifles, or they would not have put a very slow twist of 1-78".The latest ones used a twist of1-48" and were sold to the confederates in the civil war.These shot much better.Of course those days there were no internet forums, so i didn't know why the shooting was so bad so i sold it.I later bought a 577 Parker Hale, it had a twist of 1-48 and shot fine.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Hello Whistlepigger,
A stop gap weapon is one that is pressed into use as a temporary measure whilst a better, cheaper and hopefully a more efficient rifle was sought and tested. 
At the end of the Crimean War the British Army had tens of thousands of .577" Enfield Muzzle loading service rifles, they were also distributed throughout the British Empire which at that time ruled one forth of the world. At this time Breechloading cartridge firing weapons were being deveoped the great majority of the larger of the worlds powers.

Britain not wanting to be left behind opened a competition to find an economical way of converting the Enfield Rifle ftom a muzzle loader to a breech loader. The competition was won by an Jacob Snider an American who designed the Snider Breech. This required very little alteration of the original rifle and it was cheap to manufacture. Vast numbers of Enfield rifles were converted. The Snider cartridge was designed by a Col Boxer and consisted of coiled brass foil and cups rivetted together and to an iron base by a hollow copper rivet which held the primer, proper brass drawn cases were not available at the time.

Whilst  the conversions were taking place developement of the Martini Action married to a Henry rifled Barrel was one of several new breechloading designs considered to replace the Snider. The Snider was then relegated to service with colonial and coloured troops around the world.

To load a Snider half cock the hammer, swing up and over to the right  the breech block,  insert a cartridge into the chamber, close the action cock the hammer and discharge the rifle. Then bring the hammer back to half cock, swing the breechblock up and over to the right, then pull the breechblock to the rear to extract the fired case which will then lie in the channel behind the chamber. It's difficult for mans sized fingers to remove it so it was recommended that the rifle was turned over so the case could drop free so you could reload. 
Harry

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
I think the article mentioned by MerwinBray was in the Single Shot Exchange and authored  by Croft Barker??  The article sounds familiar to me also. 

I would call the Single Shot Exchange.

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Not to pick nits with Mr. Pickup, but the Snider was developed and introduced in 1866, after the Civil War, as a conversion of the Enfield muzzleloading rifle-muskets to breechloading.  Later versions were new arms...much like the earliest Trapdoor Springfields were conversions of the U.S. Springfield rifle-muskets using the Allin conversion parts.  This is why on early Sniders and Allin Conversions you will run into lock plates dated before the action was introduced.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Mr. Pickup, when you say your Parker Hale shot fine, just what do you mean?  Do you recall what kind of accuracy you were able to get out of it?  It sounds like 1:48 might be what it'd want.  I'll probably want the lightest bullet that I can shoot through it.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea to anyone less hair-brained than me?  I mean, a big slow, 57 caliber hollow point to slam on the brakes when it hits a whistle pig?  It seems like it'd splat really well.

And what about my idea of shooting a hollow based bullet upside down?  (You guys must all think I'm a real winner here.)

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Lee makes (made?) a hollow based wadcutter bullet they call the trash can design that, with a card wad between it and the powder, should work for what you want to do.  I'll have to look, I might still have one from when I was punching paper in the Civil War Skirmish Association...that's the western equivalent to the N-SSA located east of the Mississippi.   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Whistlepigger
Why dont you try it and let us know how it works. Any caliber.
Ferris Pindel said it didn't matter which end went first as long as it was a good bullet. I saw him shoot a one hole group with his 1.5 x .308 in a br match with bullets in backwards. I was at his bench behind him when he did this in the 70s. I have shot wadcutters in my 350 Rem mag with no problems.  I have some 45s that look like garbage cans that shoot well in the 1911. Somebody shoot some bullets backwards see if they leave a round hole in target. They have to be good bullets not junk. Inquiring minds want to know.
Tom

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
By Golly, Screwloosetc, I think I'll go load up some in my 45-100 this evening.  I was thinking of a short bullet, but you're right--what's it matter? I'll try the same bullet and load that does well for me and see how it works.  Now, this'll make the OAL rather stubby, but I don't suppose that'll matter in this long case--I'm more or less shooting 45-70 loads anyway.

He he HEEE!  Maybe I don't need another gun after all.  (Ooops--don't tell my wife I just said that.)

You fellows are mighty helpful.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 8:29am
Print Post  
How big are your varmints? When they get big enough to require a .577 round they out grew varmint a while ago.

40 Rod

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Guy shoots one at our club gong match from time to time.  He has a good time figuring out loads and all.  Performance is not quite up to a Trapdoor.  When he hits a gong you know it's been hit though.  If somebody wants a challange  .577's  are good ones.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint