Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .22 caliber bullet cartridge (Read 5402 times)
Hank45
Oldtimer

Beer is living proof that
GOD loves you

.22 caliber bullet cartridge
Feb 26th, 2011 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
What .22 caliber cartridge made today will approximate the volocitesy of a black powder era .22 cartridge? Thanks, Hank Smiley

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .22 caliber bullet cartridge
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Hank,

We kinda gotta know which black powder era 22 cartridge you are referring to before we can make a recommendation.    Smiley

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Hank45
Oldtimer

GOD loves you

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 8:14am
Print Post  
BP, 1880's to 1900, Hank  Smiley

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Hank your being too general in your question... Which cartridge are you referring to? 22 short, 22 long, 22 longrifle, 22extra long, 22WRF, 22cbcap, 22BBcap, you get the idea?
  Don

IP Logged

Hank45
Oldtimer

GOD loves you

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Sorry, .22 longrifle, Hank  Undecided

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Hank,

Something that should be kept in mind is that back in the black powder era, there were far more manufactures of the 22 LR cartridge, with more varieties and subsequently more variations than what we see available today. Also, there were a lot more manufacturers of black powder back then, and likely a large variation in the specific formulation and amount of the priming compounds used as well. 

All of these variables make it pretty much impossible to say that the velocity of the 22LR black powder cartridge was xxxx fps. 

We haven't even considered the additional variable between the ±40 grain solid bullet loading and the ±35-38 grain hollow point round. 

My SWAG is that you are probably looking at something along the lines of the current "target" or "standard velocity" class loadings of the 22 LR cartridge to approximately duplicate the old ±5 grain black powder loading. 

Regards,
BP

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
I'd say the 22 Long Rifle, but then again, I do tend to gravitate towards the obvious.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 5:37am
Print Post  
The .22 LR was developed from other .22 rimfire variates by Stevens in 1887. Stevens version was the one that became the cartridge we know today. Townsend Whelen's "The American Rifle" 1918 fixes the 5 grain Black powder  40 grain bullet  .22 LR cartridge at 970 FPS, He goes on to say the Smokless loadings are higher velocity and much less accurate. His best result was with Lesmoke and Semi Smokless powder, did not mention there velocity.  

Whelen had access to the best ballistic facilities in his role as an ordnance officer. He did a lot of testing with the .22 lr cartridge as well as quoting other well known authorities of the day. However considering the large amount of ballistic data in his book no doubt took a lot of the information from the Manufacturers. 

As BP says there were and still are many varieties of .22 LR, I would guess the Black powder 970 FPS cartridge could be considered the base load. My opinion only.

Boats
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2011 at 5:51am by boats »  

IP Logged

deadwooddick

Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
A quick (somewhat off-topic) question… when did "they" stop offering BP 22 LR loading(s) ?

TIA,
dwd

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Don't know, last I knew most 22lr was BP.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2011 at 12:42am
Print Post  
The smokeless powder .22 Winchester Auto was introduced with the 1903 rifle to prevent use of black powder .22 l.r. ammo in an autoloader, it was discontinued about 1932.  Remington had a .22 Automatic cartridge, too, for the Model 1916, discontinued in about 1928, and for the same reason.  They don't interchange with each other or with anything else.  So, it would be safe to say that black powder .22 l.r. ammo was no longer made around the time of WWI.   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Mar 3rd, 2011 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Hello, I remember my dad telling me how he used an old Remington pump .22 for taking rats in back alleys of Flint, MI.  in the early to mid 1920's, for the bounty on them.  He said every once in a while a bullet would get stuck in bore & he would have to take it to the local blacksmith for drilling out..I can only imagine what that bore looked like.  Anyway..he said he used mostly shorts, and they smoked quite a bit compared to modern ones..so I am assuming they were B.P.  He was probably buying the cheapest stuff he could find.  Interesting stuff..Could you imagine a 12 year old kid roaming the back alleys of a major city these days with a loaded .22...AND being perfectly legal?

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 12:16am
Print Post  
I think in Phoenix it still is, just as long as he doesn't shoot it or make any attempts to conceal it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint