Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Breach Seating Depth Survey (Read 21306 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Breach Seating Depth Survey
Feb 25th, 2011 at 11:23am
Print Post  
1. How far do you breach seat your bullets and why?

2. Have you tried different seating depths and what were your results?

I thought this topic would be both educational, diversified and very interesting.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Breach Seating Depth Survey
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
I use the dimension of .050 - .035 left unengraved by the throat or lands. I throat all my guns with a free bore of .001 larger than groove size so, it's harder to see where it starts. This I learned from Ron Long in my first months of shooting back in '85. It's always worked out. I've set many rifles up for breach seating and it's never failed in that range. Like Boats says, if it's in to far, it won't shoot. 

The BSer on my very first target gun wasn't adjusted and I shot many rounds before I found out what was wrong (in to far).

You also need a bullet that's at least .001 larger than the throat. It's thoughts two things that seal the bore when the powder gasses hit it.

I've never tried seating out beyond .050 but, that would be better than in to far. I think you could get away with (maybe not as accurate) with any depth that has the last grease groove inside the barrel.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Hang in there Quarter Bore!

If there are enough responses I believe we will see seating depths from .050 up to .250 or more beyond an individual cartridge's trim to length.

J.Louis

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
I looked up my seating depth in my range notes and I’ve got; “set the breechseater so that .050 is left uncut by the lands.”

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
I set first by feel how much push it takes to put the bullet into the lands. Then check it by looking for light through the bore around a seated bullet, last paint the bullet's nose with some black marker to witness how much of the rifling is engaged.  I know guys that snap a primer seated in empty cases to see if  there is any gas leaking around the seated bullet.

If a tight seal and nicely engraving the rifling I shoot some to see what the result is. If good fix that depth by filing down a brass rod filled case. I use that case to set my adjustable  breech seater and use for a gauge to record  the depth should the seater change .  I never go back and measure it. Fit is whats important measurement is not something thats important to me.

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
I never measured any of mine. When they shoot the most accurate I leave it there. Wherever there is. Wouldnt even know how or from where to measure it. It's way to technical for me.   

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Joe the measurement is from the back of the case to the front of the plunger in the extended position now get up and go measure them.

J.Louis

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
With a tapered bullet; I push them forward enough to get the wider base band to seal. It generally works out that half the base band is engraved. I then balance my powder load for the depth I have chosen to seat the bullet at as opposed to those who instead try to find their sweet spot by adjusting their seating depth.

My arguement is the bullet has to be ideally placed to have the best and most immediate gas seal on the base of the bullet to prevent gas cutting or variations in gas pressure.

There is always a barrel sweet spot within  .3 grains of powder. Load three loads of one tenth grain of powder and then find the sweet spot for where you have chosen to set your bullet.

For me this approach for finding the sweet spot has worked on any manufacturer of the barrel, with black powder or smokeless;  and for a diversity of bottleneck cases.

But then there are also one sweet spot for your barrel  that is better than the other sweet spots. Sorry I don' tell everyone how to find the best sweet spot.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Come on guys this post has been read 138 times and there is no right answer yet only a handful have taken the time to reply.

J.Louis

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
J louis, I think the more accurate measurement is from the face of the locking lug on the breechseater to the end of the extended plunger. The cartridge case itself has little to do with the measurement, unless you are using a plugged case to breechseat th bullet.   ledball

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
This is how that I always measure. Breech seat and then knock it out with the cleaning rod.The unengraved portion of the base band on this bullet is .040. It's the only accurate way that I know of to measure a breech seated bullets depth in the throat.

If you have a hard time seeing where the engraving stops on the bullet you want to use, use a larger bullet and you'll see better the ring where i take the measurement.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
I might be missing something but seems to me the thing that's important is how the bullet fits. How far in front of the case is irrelevant as is how deep the bullet is, smaller ones with more taper will  seat further in the lands fatter blunter shape ones not so far. Whatever the bullet correct engagement and good seal is the objective

Distance the bullet sits in front of the case sets the size of the combustion chamber. It might be one size it might be another, it's still a chamber that a certain amount of powder is going to have to ignite in and get up to burn rate. If the distance in front of the case is more one rifle than another it just takes more powder. 

I just can't see any reason to measure it or use measurements to come to any conclusions. Too many other variables are more important. If there is a perfect distance, one that's more important than bullet fit or correct powder charge have another go at explaining to me.

It is useful to record what works well in individual rifles and a gauge case brass rod filled does that very well.

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
The depth has to do with the amount of upset the base receives when the powder charge goes bang.  There is a best spot to breech seat to. That spot can change due to variations in bullet temper and powder used and all sorts of other stuff.   
It's really to technical for me to explain.  I could go out and measure a bunch of rifles of different calibers. They will all be different.  There are some rifles chambered with the same reamer and integral pilot. The barrel brand and rifling profile is different. It would be a coincidence if they were seated at the same depth.  
As far as a *correct* distance, I have learned not to discount J Louis.  Cant wait to find out the correct distance so I can try it. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #13 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Plus one to Frnkeore.  Mine measures at .042
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
J Lewis
In my fixed amo I use a cleaning rod to determine OAL which is where the bullet is in relation to the rifling. Close the action, Put my small tap handle on cleaning rod, Put rod in bore till it touches face of bolt tighten tap handle on rod with tap handle against muzzel.Make sur tap handle is tight remove rod. Openbolt insert bullet and seat. put rod back in bore just touching nose of bullet and measure distance from muzzle to tap handle. That is my overall length for the bullet i am using.
Tom
You will get some response now

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint