Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Green stain in lube? (Read 3098 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Green stain in lube?
Feb 23rd, 2011 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Hello, I have a strange one...many years ago, I was shooting in a league with cast in a .30-40 Krag.  The lubed bullets, after some months, would show green stain in lube around gas-check.  I noticed same green stain in old Lyman 45 with brass seal.  On some ctgs. left loaded for years, same green at case mouth..but brass not damaged..not pitting, or copper-colored discolaration.  The lube I was, and still use is 40% pure Besswax, 35% Synthetic Spermaceti wax..(from Charley Dell), 15% Anhydrous Lanolin, 10% Castor oil.
Now, when this green stuff was going on...My basement was not being protected 100% by de-humidifier..older model, that would freeze up, so humidity was higher.  For the past several years, I have non-freeze type and humidity levels quite low year around...I have not seen the green since.  Could this have been from the Anhydrous Lanolin..Re-hydrating?  I can't think of anything else in mix that would do it.  Also, with the Syn. Spermaciti..no matter how litttle I add...bulllets sparkle..like crystals in lube..Kind of pretty!  Accuracy fairy dust?  Does anyone else use this Syn. Spermaciti?  Where can you buy it now?  Thanks guys!

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Green stain in lube?
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
The green is from the copper in the brass. 
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
.22-5-40 (Thuer breath) ... believe we covered your issue in this thread on The Open Range
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
PS: You never did identify the wax that you call  - Synthetic Spermaceti  Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2011 at 8:30pm by »  

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 7:51am
Print Post  
If it came from Charlie Dell it is most probably Synthaceti 116.

40 Rod

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
40 Rod - what is Spermaceti 116?  Since whale oil and Spermaceti have been banned, the closest double hydro carbon chain waxes available that emulate the wax are jojoba and meadowfoam waxes 

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 9:05am
Print Post  
John Boy
Try Googling the product. It is a synthetic product that I believe was made for the cosmetics industry. Both Charlie and Dean Popma used it in their lube formulas. As for jojoba oil it may look close in a chemical formula but the copy writer who made up the fib that it is a good substitute for sperm oil never used real sperm oil.

40 Rod

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
I believe the green color is verdigris, an oxidized form of copper. some element in the lube is breaking down into fatty acids which are attacking the brass. This color appears when copper alloys are weathered, or exposed to seawater, or certain acids.

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Peabody and Peabody-Martini's Wanted!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint