Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sight Adjustment from Prone? (Read 4677 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Sight Adjustment from Prone?
Feb 17th, 2011 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Hello, everyone..Ok so far you guys have been a real help on the black-powder cleaning issues.  I have another question, there is a cast-bullet match in the Fall..any type rifle..I thought I would try this old Rem. sporter .40-70 Str. with black.  Now then...How do you climb forward on a 32" brl. to reach a spirit level, windgage globe, to read the graduations on the FRONT of sight base?  I was thinking of a small telescoping mirror...Have to remember everything backwards...Wait..if backwards..I could treat it like a rear & move sight where I want bullet impact?  What do you guys do?  Thanks!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Sight Adjustment from Prone?
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
I open the rifle, remove the cartridge, lean over on my left side a little and move the rifle toward my feet so I can see the sight scale and adjust the sight. Or I stand up and adjust the sight. When my eyes were young I used to hold off.  Some shooters can reach up and turn the screw without looking at the scale. If you know what direction and how many turns it takes to move the sight one mark, and can remember, it would be easy. 

Make darn sure the rifle is unloaded. The front sight moves the opposite direction for bullet impact. When adjusting the front sight - keep the mindset that you are moving the muzzle in the direction you want to go and not the sight.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Hello Westerner, and thanks for good advice.  Years ago when out for first time with a windgage front..shooting off bench, I wanted to make a quick change in windage.  Got up, and had just placed face down near muzzle to see those tiny graduations...when other eye happened to glance down that long 34" barrel.... and see the hammer at full cock on a loaded chamber!  I think I sat down for a few moments and thought over my errant ways!  I have read where not a few shooters were killed this way.  Thanks again! Smiley

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
That's just the reason that many clubs will not allow the shooter to make any adjustments from the front.  In other words you can't get up and look at the muzzle.  Same from the prone position. They don't want that muzzle pointed in the wrong direction.  In the Creedmoor days, the shooter went to the line, fired his shot and left while the next shooter went to the line.  The shooter then cleaned, made sight corrections and then went back to the line.  You should probably look into a windage adjustable rear sight.  Bob

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Replace the front sight?  A little extreme, dont you think, Bob?   

Joe.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Nah Joe! He should keep the front sight in place but a rear windage sight makes life a whole lot easier and safer.  That way when 22-5-40 gets all caught up in shootin black again, he'll have enough windage for those breezy days.  About 4 years ago at the Q, I was shooting my 40-70 SS when I got burned.  Last target was the buff and I had all 21 minutes dialed in and was still a half a buff from getting on.  Now I've got both front and rear. Can never have too much windage in Montana.   Smiley Bob

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Mine adjust front and rear, I take the base windage on the front sight then confirm it with sighters before a match. Run the rear on Zero to start crank it back and forth as the day progresses, That way I don't get lost and forget were mechanical zero is. Wind may make a shot go off, miss adjusted sight will surely make one go off.

Fact that the CPA's switch barrels makes it even more important to have adjustable fronts. Rimfire or Center Fire rear base is always zero. Front sights have different settings barrel to barrel.

Old days windage fronts I expect they had long relays with time to come out of position and adjust or perhaps the coach made the adjustment. That was very common in team shooting Shooter held center and coach did all the sight adjustments. If the rifle is authentic and you want to keep it that way get yourself a sight adjusting coach to crank it for you. Joking aside coach touching the rifle is specifically prohibited in BPCS 

Boats
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2011 at 4:02pm by boats »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Well, okay, Montana does get windy. 

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint