Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Dacron Wad (Read 12030 times)
Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Dacron Wad
Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
The Lyman reloading handbook talks about using a dacron wad over low volume powder charges.  I presume this is to keep the powder against the primer for more consistent ignition?  Well, I am working on a load for my 45-100 at the moment using 4198, which is pretty fast and doesn't fill the case.  I have been getting some flyers, so I thought I'd try putting some of that fibery stuff in and see if it helps.  

500 gr RCBS, 20:1 
32 gr 4198
WLR primers

I shot three, five shot groups today.  My control group at 150 yards measured 1 1/16" (plus a flyer), and the two I shot with the additional wad measured 4" and 5 1/8".  That is significantly worse.  That is no better than the squib load I am working up.   

It looks to me like that answers it.  Does anyone have any comments?

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Dacron Wad
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 1:28am
Print Post  
Whistlepigger, 

For me, sometimes the tuft helps, and sometimes it doesn't. 

I have tried reduced loads in both the 40-70 SS and the 45-90 where I do get an improvement using the tuft with various load combinations. Athough I haven't experimented with IMR 4198 in either of those calibers, it doesn't mean it won't work. 

I use as little of the material as possible, just enough to keep the powder in position, but no more. 

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 6:48am
Print Post  
If the rifle is handled same way every time, muzzle up or down, makes no difference long as it's consistent, and the powder is burning up to the intended rate wads are not necessary. 

Wad itself adds another factor that has to be consistent to give good results. How big is a "tuft" weight, position on the powder. compressed or fluffed up lot of things that can go wrong.

Wad is a good way to increase pressure and get powders up to burn rate. You could use a faster powder instead.  I would try some 4759.

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Stay away from Dacron wads!!! They are a recipe for a ringed chamber. If you want to use something fluffy use kapok but not dacron. For straight cases you would be better off using cream of wheat that can be metered trough a measure giving you a correct amount with little effort instead of pulling out a gob of fluff and trying to decide if it is the same amount as last time. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Wouldnt  A 1/4" or longer piece of floral foam work the same way? Instead of Cream of wheat or Kapok?

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Boats,

I don't notice 4198 to leave anything unburned, so I am assuming the pressure is okay for it.  That powder has always ranked among my best groups with this rifle and also when it was a 45-70.  I tried 4759 in the 70 barrel, but never in the 100.  I think I am close enough to where I want the accuracy that starting with a new powder would be too extreme.  After all, I'm not even weighing my bullets yet, and I'm still working with a cheap $35 tang sight.

I don't like guessing on the wad size either.  I don't like putting anything in that cannot be measured.  Were I to pursue a wad, I'd figure some way to resolve that problem.

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 9:29am
Print Post  

What is Kapok, Rat Rod? And wouldn't cream of wheat raise the pressures more significantly than something more open and lighter?  And what is "floral foam" Skalkaho? 

Does anyone have the latest Lyman handbook?  I'm curious to know if they still recommend the dacron wad in their 45-70 loads.

IP Logged

cptuap
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 10:01am
Print Post  
I recently received the 4th edition of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook.  With a quick look I find no mention of wads or fillers with anything.  Cp

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Whistlepigger
Look some where else for your flyers. Dont believe everything lyman says. They have had problems in the past. Use powder mfg. sugestions and play with primers, crimp and over all length. I use a quality magnum primer with reduced capacity loads and seat bullet to engage rifling. No unburned powder just tells you all powder is burned an not at what pressure.
Tom

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 10:21am
Print Post  
For guys getting into this game for the first time, or experienced shooters, PLEASE, PLEASE, get hold of :
Laurie Gapko Secretary and bookshelf guy of the ASSRA and buy the book The Modern Schuetzen Rifle and read pages 163 thru 173, before using a clump of dacron as a wad.
Then read it again.

Gapko, Laurie (Sec)
E-mail Address(es):
  secretary@assra.com

In the mean time do not shove a fluff of dacron down your case as a filler, especially in a softer old steel barrel.

Once might not make a difference but after awhile you will find the cases real hard to extract, then you will know what a rung chamber is, first hand.

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 10:31am
Print Post  
A quick search came up with:

Kapok
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The search feature on the internet is amazing and easy to use. I use google

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Whistlepigger
what kind of rifle and what are you going to use it for?
Tom

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Tom,

It is a rolling block action made by Pedersoli with a Bobby Hoyt barrel chambered in 45-100 and stocked by me.  It has a 1:20 twist and is 36" long.  It is my current all around centerfire which I use for woodchucks, coons, strays, and target out to 400 yards, though most of my shooting (target and otherwise) is 200 yards and less.   

I have had it in this configuration for about ten years.  (Before then it was a 45-70.) I used to like Reloader 7 until it went overseas.  I have found the new stuff to be corrosive (!) and not as good, so that is why I am working up a new load with 4198.  It has always done well for me, but it meters poorly due to its grain size.  So far I am happy with the results this time around, but I do get occasional flyers which are annoying.

I hope I am using the right term when I say "flyer."  These are single shots outside the otherwise contained group.  They are almost always within 3" of center at 150 yards--too far for good woodchuck accuracy--and seem to appear about one in eight or ten shots or so.

You mentioned seating depth, crimp and so on.  So far, crimping seems to open my groups up, though I have only tried a profile crimp at this point.  I have not yet experimented with different OAL, though for this bullet to engage the rifling, it would have to be pretty far out of the case to reach it.  (It has a long ogive.) 

KAF, thanks for the suggested reading.  I had not heard of it.  I looked it up, and it was printed in 1995, which was after I had been loading for awhile and after my spell of reading everything on the subject.  I'll see if I can lay my hands on it somehow.  (Oh yeah, and thanks for teaching me about Google. Roll Eyes)

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Hey, I should ask, would you fellows who oppose the dacron wad idea also oppose it in squib loads?  The other load I am working up is a 390 grain bullet with a 20 grain dibble of 4198 (and working down to less), which leaves a lot of shaky room in that long case.  I've also used Unique for squibs, which is even less voluminous.  Do you feel there is a danger of ringing the chamber even in very low pressure loads?   

I blew through two barn walls after shooting through a stray cat the other day, and I'd like to avoid doing that again.  And darn if that cat didn't turn out to be mine!  Why are so many cats yellow, anyway?

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 5:59am
Print Post  
My squibs are loaded with light charges of Unique. No Wads. Throw them from a fixed rotor pistol measure.  Take primed cases to the range throw charges increasing until I hear it "crack" supersonic then back down one rotor.  Then work well, almost by a thin margin as accurate as a .22 rimfire.  You do have to mount the gun same way every shot. 

With Unique or any light pistol powder charge it's possible to make a two group  target same rifle by elevating one shot dropping the muzzle next one alternating. Most Cowboy Action loads are Squib and Unique is a often used powder. Short range light bullet low velocity large case it's the best solution.

Back in the days when all of this was new to me I tried Kapok tufts in my 45/70's  Kapok was the flotation in life jackets before man made materials were used.  We got it from old Vest that would not pass inspection. It's a vegetable fiber.  Today I have no idea were you would find Kapok.   When I started shooting matches with "old" guys who knew how to get single shots to perform they got me off the wads as just adding another variable. 

Now I am "old" and don't use wads

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint