Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Should I be fearful of using 2400? (Read 2399 times)
henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

Should I be fearful of using 2400?
Feb 14th, 2011 at 11:28am
Print Post  
I was about ready to start shooting an original highwall I've been getting ready. I've never shot breach loaded rounds before and prepared this gun in 40-50ss to make my first attempt. The bullet is easily breach seated with the base approximatly 1/8 in. in front of the shell mouth. I was planning to try 2400 powder and then read here that several     "people have ringed their barrels while using 2400 when using wads."  I'm at a loss to understand how does one keep the powder in the case if one doesn't use wads? What wad material does one use? I figured you guys used cardboard wads over the end of the case to keep the powder in, simularly to what the BPCR people use.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Should I be fearful of using 2400?
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
henpeckedmuch
If I were starting load work-up for a 40 cal rifle, 2400 powder would not be on my list of powders to try. I suggest something bulkier such as IMR 4759 without any sort of wad. The trick is to not dump the powder into the action while loading. Breech seating 1/8 inch ahead of the case mouth seems like a reasonable place to start but you might try seating a bullet to that dept, then push it back out of the chamber and examine how it is engraved by the rifling. A good rule-of-thumb is to seat the bullet so the base band is engraved by the rifling about 1/2 its width.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
I would just add for your piece of mind, that with the amounts of smokeless that you'll be useing, you'll be able to hold the case level when chambering and nothing will spill. Give itc a try over your powder measure. Keep tilting untill the powder runs out. You'll see that it won't be a problem.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
I am with Crash and Frank on this one. While guys have reported good results with 2400 it's not a common Schuetzen powder. I don't recall ever seeing anybody using it in a formal match. CBA postals  I shot years ago  it was not an often seen cast bullet powder.

Wads are a caution too, only time I use them is with a case full of black, then only to make breech seating possible with a full case.  Generally wad is a crutch to make powders not suitable burn properly and come with chance of ringing. 

Modern action single shot shooters with wildcat short pre charged cases have to use them. Strong actions modern steel barrels and cases too short to double charge or leave much air space between wad and bullet. Traditional Schuetzens rarely use a wad.

BPCS case is full and a very thin wad over the powder protects the bullets base on ignition, or so the story goes. I think they are most usefull when compressing powder, keeps from crushing grains. Since I went to vibrated cases I don't compress anymore and leave the wad out for BP fixed loads. Lets me get a bit more in the case.

4227  or 4759 you can insert most cases without spilling I don't know how long that Sharps case is but 38/55's are only two inches and don't spill if handled properly.  Been years since one of my rifles had to be taken down to clean spilled powder out of the action, then when I was showing a new shooter how B/S worked and he klutzed it.  

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 8:06am
Print Post  
I'll agree and disagree with Boats. First I agree that 2400 isn't the best powder for a 40-50. 4227 and 4759 would both be better powders. 
  Where Boats and I disagree is on the use of wads. I have used wads on most of my cases for years with a varity of powders. I followed Charlie Dell's experiments with wads closely and had many discussions with him and others involved with Charlies research on chamber ringing. Please get Charlie & Wayne's book and read the chapter on chamber ringing. It will help you to understand what causes chamber ringing. 
In defence of wads they, if properly used, are a safety check on double charging a case. If the wad is kept off the powder by .050 to .100 by a seater with a stop, then if the case is accidentally double charged the wad will hit the powder well short of the stop. This lets you know that you have an inadvertent double charge. Double charging will definitely do damage.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint