Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Back To Black (Read 4563 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Back To Black
Feb 9th, 2011 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Hello, Here is a question for the black powder experts:  I stopped shooting black around 1990.  I was shooting an original Win. High-Wall .38-55.  After reading of how good the various black powders were in the late 19th century..less fouling, cleaner burning..I became dissalusioned with the then available Goex, and started loading smokeless.  Now fast forward 20 years..I have heard about the clean burning Swiss powders and the new types of Goex.  I might be buying an original Rem. Mid-Range..Has new 34" 1/2 Oct. custom brl. in .40- Undecided70 Str.fitted...Original .44-90 has mint bore & numbered to gun, goes with deal.  I have made up my mind to use only genuine black in this rifle for safety & traditional reasons.  When shooting black  in a roller...do you need to disassemble action for cleaning?  Are ther commercial cleaning solutions that are safe & effective?  I used to use the concentrate Black Solve..mixed with water.  Are there better ones?
How about leading..after cleaning out B.P. fouling..do you go in there to make sure no leading  that might trap fouling underneath?  What do you use for this?  Would Ed's Red work?   
   What grain size would you recommend for .40-50 B.N. & .40-70 Str?
Are grease cookies still being used? (when I was shooting black..blow tubes weren't even out yet).  I appoligize for the lengthy questions..it's just that I have been out of circulation in this field.  Thank you so much!

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Re: Back To Black
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Cartridge BP rifles are easy to clean--only the barrel gets dirty.
I use windscreen washer fluid to clean the barrel and finish up with a patch soaked in WD40. I was on the range today with my Mauser 71/84, comparing loads with and without a wad soaked in lube under the bullet, between two thin cards. Conclusion: the wad is a good thing, it fouled up much quicker without it. I used a blow tube with both loads.
Fred

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Good advice all will add a few things.  I wax my rifles used with Black powder, plain old floor wax. Keeps cleaning fluids out of the cracks and crannies.

Blow tubes came into use when BPCS matches started. Relays are short and it's a good way to shoot a string without coming out of position.

Having shot the same rifle BPCS then converting it to a Schuetzen using black my opinion is blow tubes are not as effective as a wiping rod between shots, if the course of fire allows time to wipe. With a wet patch dry patch routine between shots there is hardly any clean up required at all after a session. I do go back to the rifle day after and wipe it again just to be sure.

Cases are another mater and to me a real pain to clean but it needs to be done. When shooting fixed and using a lot of cases I decap at the range dump them in a plastic bottle with water and some soap. At home fowling is soft and brushed out one at a time in the kitchen sink, then dried in the sun or warm oven.  last step I tumble, best if the are clean before they go into the tumbler. It's just to polish.

Boats

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 10:25am
Print Post  
You see, I found an easier way to clean cases used with the "Holy Black" powder.  Put them in the dishwasher afgter you decap them, when they come out throw them in the case tumbler.  You're done.  Resize, prime, load and shoot.

IP Logged

henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 11:16am
Print Post  
I use a blow tube for strings up to 10-12 shots if I have a time limit. If not I run a patch down from the breech end. use whatever solvent  works best for you. I like "Simple Green" and water (it is a household cleaner.) I've used the mixture of 1/3 Murphys oil soap, 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 Hydrogen peroxide and it works better than any other. I'm just a little leery about adding oxygen to Black Powder residue. It does work fantastic for cleaning your hands after getting Black on them. 
Whatever you use, the most important thing is that the bore is in the same condition between each shot. I don't run a dry patch down the bore like others do. instead I dampen my wipe patches the very same every time by using a spray bottle and spraying same amount on patch every time. 
For final cleaning I use same idea but continue to run patches untill they come out clean(usually two or three). Then I use a patch of "Shooter's Choice" down the bore. If there is any leading it will come out then. Next day or two  I run another patch of Shooter's down the bore again. If every thing is fine WD it and call it a day. I live in a high humidity area in SE N. Carolina. If and when I see that all the above isn't nessessary then I cut down on the stages.

IP Logged

henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 11:28am
Print Post  
As for the grain bullet to use, it depends on the twist of the barrel. Take a cleaning rod and put a tight patch on it. Start the patch down the bore. Put a mark on the rod (use a piece of tape or a black marker) where the rod enters the crown of the muzzel. Slowly push the rod in (allowing it to turn around freely) until the rod rotates one whole turn. Mark the rod again where it touches the muzzel. Pull the rod out and measure the distance in inches from the first mark to the second. The results are read as 1 turn in (blank) inches. With this information re-ask your question and you will get great answers from these guys on this site.

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Hello, and a BIG thanks for everyone who posted replys!  This forum is the greatest!  And a special thanks to ssdave about the use of Turp. never heard that one before...I really will try that a Big plus to it's use is the fact if some gets on stock, you won't have to worry about damage like some others on market.  Thanks boats about wax tip..I thought I was only one doing this!  Thanks again! Grin

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Hello guy's Just had a thought...It seeems what we need today is the old Fisher Cleaner...with those soft rubber squeege flanges to wipe out extra water, but leave bore moist & in same condition...Anyone have dwg's?  I have heard of the Bore-Hog..but have not seen any in the flesh.  Thanks again.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
You can buy those off Buffalo arms I think.

Everybody has there preference mine is one wet one dry, all are good as long as it's the same every time

Boats

IP Logged

Trap4570

Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
I guess I do it the old way.  Boiling water and soap.  I guess it is a bit of a pain, but I've grown into the habit of doing it that way.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Because I'm a machinist what I use is water soluble cutting fluids for both between shots (1 wet 1 dry) and cleaning after. They are made to both lubricate and wet the surface as well as kill corrosion. I've use a few different brands and all do the job.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

merle
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 9:19am
Print Post  
All the advice is good.

Part of my cleaning process is to wet swab with some of the commercial lead removal "stuff" available to shooters. 

I learned this after having some purchased bullets start to lead the barrel.   These were hard cast and lubed with SPG but for some reason
started to lead the barrel.   Several hours of swabbing with lead remover got all the fragments out.   

Now, I routinely wipe after every shot and at the end of the day, scrub the barrel with Hoppes #9+, some lead removal "stuff" and then oil the bore good.   No problems by doing this.

And remember when using BP, Clean the brass!

Merle

IP Logged

henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Talking about cleaning the brass after using B/P. I have started using a different way to clean the brass then I have ever used before. I have a drum tumbler (without media) that I put the brass into and add some water and dish soap. (Mixture of Murphy's soap/Hydrogen peroxide/ and alcohol would work better)I also throw in a scotch brite dish scrubber, seal it all up and let-er-rip come back in an hour and 
SHA-ZAM they are all clean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint