Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Twist-Rate Tables (Read 6567 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Twist-Rate Tables
Feb 5th, 2011 at 7:43am
Print Post  
Ran across these twist-rate tables and found them useful for helping to pick starting bullet weights. Won't tell you which bullet/load is the best, but might save a few $$ by eliminating ones that won't work.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Re: Twist-Rate Tables
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 9:36am
Print Post  
that's actually pretty handy

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Those tables would be nice but I think whoever developed them used 150 as the constant in the formula.  The values then as I see them, are much too high for our type of shooting. For our slower velocity loads, you need to use a constant of around 125-130.  For example, there is no way that an 18" twist 45 cal. bullet of 672 gr and 1.74" in length will be stable. Charlie Dell's formula does a much better job of predicting bullet length/twist ratios. Bob

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 11:51am
Print Post  
I agree that the chart is a bit off.  Before I rebarreled my rolling block, it had a twist of 1 in 22  for 45-70.  It did not stabilize 500 grain bullets--it was best with 400 grainers.  I had a new barrel made with a twist of 1 in 20 for 45-100, and it does great with 500 grains, but I don't think it'd stabilize a 600 like the chart suggests.

Nonetheless, thank you for the link.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Feb 5th, 2011 at 10:05am:
Charlie Dell's formula does a much better job of predicting bullet length/twist ratios. Bob
Any chance you can post his formula or a link to same? Thanks.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
              3.5 X square root of MV X caliber squared
Twist =                        divided by
                                 Bullet Length

My bad, sorry I left it out!  This should be better
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2011 at 9:38am by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
While this table shows the Greenhill results for length, the bullet weights are copied from my table in the book, with the weight of a bullet 82% of the weight of a cylinder of the same alloy and length. Note that the alloy is LEAD, and that pointed bullets may be/are less than 82% and flat nose bullets may be/are more than 82%.
See the book on line for clculators with constant other than 150, also C. Dell's formula calculator. I certainly don't mind copying, but would appreciate attribution.
joe b.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Feb 5th, 2011 at 4:02pm:
                square root of MV X caliber squared
Twist =                       divided by
                               Bullet Length

In case anybody else tried this unsuccessfully; X 3.5 is left out of the equation.  Smiley

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
good to know

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Here is a twist program by Border Barrels (Scotland) that graphically shows what the subsonic range does to bullet stability. It uses  a stability factor of 1.5, the Don miller program uses 1.4 and the JMB program, I believe uses 1.3. With my guns and bullets (before the computer) I found that I could use a factor of 175 in the Greenhill Formula in the 1400 fps range.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Frank, we long range big bore shooters have found that we have to reduce the constant to about 130 to get the formula to work.  I have read where Schuetzen shooters have said that their best accuracy at 200 yds sometimes show signs of bullets tipping. I think for longer ranges, lube grooves have a lot to do with this.  They create a lot of base drag.  Our bullets with the big lube grooves needed to shoot black, can become unstable anywhere between 600 and 1000yds if they are too long. I think when they start tipping, the B.C really drops off and they can be severely affected by the wind.  Some of Darr's designed bullets usually have just 3 shallow lube grooves but some mighty fine shuetzen scores have been shot with them. I guess each discipline has to pick what works for them.  Bob

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Bob,
Yes, I believe what you say about LR, I only ever tried it one time with cast bullets. I shot with the hi power guys, starting at 600. with my 32/40. I couldn't even get on the target. 

I built two 45/70's for silhouette but, my shoulder gave out shooting them BR before I could get into a match. That eventually turned into a torn long head tendon in my shoulder and I just can't take heavy recoil any more.

So, all my work has been done at 1 & 200 yards and that 175 figure is near the edge of stability but, works at 200 with a spitizer bullet (1.165 long, 208 gr x 15 twist). Slightly tipped bullets usually group well and I believe that at my velocity's that they are just entering the trans sonic range and that is what causes the tipping when it happens.

I've always subscribed to the theory that, it should be on the edge of tipping just after it goes through the target but, as we all know, it's hard to accomplish and we settle for some sort of a compromise to meet varying conditions and equipment.

But, experimenting is the only way that you'll know for sure what works and what doesn't. twist can very 1/2 inch from one barrel to the next from the same manufacture (that's all that Douglas will guarantee) and just that much can be the reason one gun shoots and another won't. 

Thats how I came on to the 175 number. Mine would shoot the 1.165 bullet and a friends gun wouln't (read key hole). Mine was 15 and his 16 twist. I shorten his mold by .050 and it shot as good as mine (both Douglas barrels both Ron Long molds).

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint