Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) LEE reloading equipment (Read 6754 times)
nobearsyet
Ex Member

LEE reloading equipment
Feb 1st, 2011 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
I keep finding myself in need of a single stage press for "special chores" and was wondering what you guys think of the LEE reloader C frame press.  I need one mostly for micrometer inline seating die, bullet swaging, etc. and don't want to keep pulling apart my Crusher.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: LEE reloading equipment
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 12:04am
Print Post  
They are OK, but about what you would expect for the money. Once I started decapping and sizing 30-06 cases for the M-1 I gave mine to my brother for his .22 Hornet reloading and got a Breech Lock. Whole lot more press for not that much more money. And, the quick-change function is painless.
Breech Lock for $46:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Don't care what Mr. Lee says, I don't think much of anything lightweight or in a "C" configuration for swaging operations.  Find a used RCBS Rock Chucker or similar size  "O" press.   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Romeo 33 Delta
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Geez, I don't know.  I use a Challenger for seating and "m" die applications ... but do all my "heavy-duty" work on my R-C.  I got rid of the "C" type so fast the paint wasn't even worn ... just didn't see it being quite up to the task.  My 2 cents worth.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Best deal on a good strong single station press is a old Cast Iron Lyman Spartan.  I have two of them one kept set up with a decaper die other for special jobs.  Used never over 30 bucks at gun shows or off ebay. Strong powerfull presses.

I don't swage however

Boats

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 8:53am
Print Post  
I use a Rock Chucker I bought cheap years ago. Use it for all rifle loading. It's strong but I have made it groan on occasions! In spite all the fancy-dancy new models out there I have to keep the R-C cause it has the bushing that screws out allowing use of 1 1/4" .577 Snider dies.

IP Logged

merle
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 10:04am
Print Post  
I use a Lee single stage press for reloading 45-70 rounds.
Got it cheap, works fine.   Wouldn't use it for swaging or case reforming. 

Merle

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
I've found that old used quality presses are cheap at gun shows. Over time I've picked up used RCBS and Lyman presses (amongst others) to add to my loading table. One of my favorites is an old Lyman Turret press that I use for smaller caliber work, which cost me a whopping $20 used. I can set up two 3 die sets in it and never mess with changing dies for various steps.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
I use a lyman turret too and a TruLineJr thats been modified to accept 7/8 inch dies. guy on Ebay makes new top ends.

It's great for short cartridges and bullet seating only. Not heavy duty but short stroke works fine for seating 38 & 45 ACP

Presses are like Bulldozers fast and light is not an advantage

Boats

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
I have one of the old orange Crusher presses, a T-MAg 2 turret press, and a dillon 550b progressive that handle most of my reloading chores, was just hoping the LEE would be strong enough for some of the special chores.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
SSS, Other than my Dillion 550B progressive, I have used the same Lee 3 Hole Turret Press for over 10 years reloading all my BPCR and non volume reloads.  PS, I shoot close to 2000 BPCR reloads per year.  It has not let me down yet.  In addition to the press, use the Universal Decapper Die and Hardness Tester mounted on one turret, plus the Perfect Powder measure that drops accurate charges as low as 3 grs.  I don't swage but do a lot of reforming.  I use Bag Balm as a lube and the cases form perfectly and effortlessly.  Including thick wall 348's reformed into 45-75's
Here's their Specials page which I have ordered from frequently
I have a RCBS Rock Chucker mounted next to it which has been an orphan 

Lee Precision in many instances, IMHO, is given a bad rap for their products including moulds which can be tricked out to drop nice bullets.  The choice is yours because there are many depending on the likes and dislikes of many reloaders!

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
They work fine,  I used to have one mounted on a piece of plywood for at the range chores.  Went to the Lee hand nutcracker press for that job and gave the Lee press to a first time loader. He is still using it for 30/30 and .30 Carbine. Advantage for me was light weight in my shooting bag.

Lee makes good stuff no doubt about it. I use there auto primes almost exclusively and Lee dies are the ones I go to first when nothing out of the ordinary is needed.

The Lee hand nutcracker is as good a hand press as you will find.

Boats

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
NBY
I replaced a C & H with a 3stage Lee turret and havent missed it yet. I'm still using STP as a lube. The small lee O press is light and convenient. I deprime with a punch and hammer. Reprime wit old Lee tool. I use wilson for my bench rest stuff and a Star for my 45 acp and 38spl.
Takes a lot of stuff over a period of time. I Use lyman mostly but Lee molds sometime and H & G 6cavity for the handguns.
Tom

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Right H & G is a darned good mold.  Same with me a hodgepodge of old stuff which allows tools to be left set up single purpose

Boats

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
I do have a lot of old stuff, not to be an all inclusive list but, The aformentioned Lyman, and Dillon presses, I throw all of my powder charges with either one of 2 RCBS Uniflow measures with the micrometer screws and an assortment of Sinclair international long drop tubes with adaptors, trim all of my cases with a Wilson tool with a micrometer ajustment, chamfer and deburr with a Forster tool, and do my case neck chores with the RCBS neck turner.  Also do all of my primer pocket tools with a Sinclair base and a variety of tools.  Also decap berdan primed with an RCBS nutcracker type tool.  Do a lot of my range loading with LEE Load All tools or Lyman 310 tong tools and an assortment of really old combination tools that came with some old guns from the factory.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint