Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) H&R Trapdoor Rifle (Read 33178 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

H&R Trapdoor Rifle
Feb 1st, 2011 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Am looking for a rifle to shoot my club's our 2011 BPCR 600yd events: 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
and am wondering about the H&R Trapdoor rifles, which were made in the '70s. Are they a decent rifle? There are several availabe on the internet and I've always thought it would be nice to own a Trapdoor.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Re: H&R Trapdoor Rifle
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Frankly, an original trapdoor rifle with buffington sights in fine mechanical and bore condition would be a better choice if you're wanting a trapdoor.  The H&R Officer's Model is a bit too light, rear sight is mounted on the wood rather than the action, and has no graduations for windage or elevation.  You could get around that with a vernier caliper checking adjustments, but might be annoying.  The H&R's are nice to own and shoot, but maybe not for match purposes.

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Peabody and Peabody-Martini's Wanted!

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 10:07am
Print Post  
My only problem with an original Trapdoor is knowing that I bought a good one. Can you recommend a 'Trapdoor knowledgeable' person who would check out and give a 'clean bill-of-health' to an original if I purchased? Could that be you?

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
I'm knowledgeable about trapdoors, plus have both of Frasca's books, and the Poyer and Reisch book to refer to if needed. Also more than willing to help out a friend.  Spence Wolf's book on shooting trapdoors probably gives the best info on shooting original military loads in the trapdoors and details on what to look for in a shooter. 

The issue I guess will be one of geography. Are you near Altoona/Hollidaysburg PA?  Otherwise, it might be a challenge getting together.

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
There is always the option the option of buying a receiver, block, lock, etc. and putting together a "parts gun" with a new manufactured barrel.  I am going this route with one I'm building up for BPCR in the not so distant future and can tell you vtigunparts.com can sell you a pedersoli lock and set trigger assembly for not a ton of money, and it'll go into a treebone pistolgrip stock that shoots very well offhand.

I might add that a Sharps action with DST can be had from Dixie gun works rather inexpensively and would make a superb BPCR silhouette gun.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
What is Treebone asking for a 90% stock in standard grade wood?
And, yes....... I certainly would not mind ending up with something like this.

GTalk  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
I had one 20 years ago and used it in 200 yard offhand matches. Recoil was the problem, as finished the H&R officers models are 7 lb guns stocked for offhand shooting only and have a rear sight that is no much use for match shooting.

Stick with Origional Trapdoors is my advice.

Boats

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
I have an H & R Officers model and I use a lace on recoil pad and have replaced the rear sight with a more positive one. If you limit yourselfe to BP and cast bullets I would go for an original. I think the H & R will hold up better with the modern powders and bullets.  If I were capable my gun would be competitive. It is capable of as much acuracy as anything else I have in BP. I realy like the treebone stock pattern. Have you looked at any of the repro highwalls?
Tom

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
those early H& R trapdoors looked nice but have seen a couple them that upon firing they self ejected the spent case.  very unnerving to see that big piece of metal fly open in front of your eyes
bill

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
I have to disagree with screwloose. The originals are way better made than the repros.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Mine worked good no problems with the the lock up you often hear about but overall the gun was not real shootable. Orgional Officers models were built to be hunting rifles. One shot every so often. Shoot a 40 shot match with one you will wish you had a full rifle Origional.

Buffington sight is way better than the 10 dollar sight on the H&R's  I see one unfired on Cherrys sight 1000 bucks. 600 buys a real nice Trapdoor all day long

Boats

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the input. I've purchased an original 1884 in reasonable condition for $650, which seems to be about the going rate on these. Agreement is I can return for any reason after being checked out by a gunsmith. I can stand shooting the 45-70 for the two matches we hae this season. I'll also try to find a good complete Trapdoor action in the meantime so can start on my Treebone style build. Will build it in 38-55, 38-56 or 40-65 for 600yd. Any opinions? That gun sure is good looking.

GTalk  
IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
That "Treebone-style" is actually a Marksman's Rifle (or copy).  It is the Holy Grail of trapdoors.  From Frasca's website:

"Marksman  Rifle
NRA Very Good = $35,000
NRA Excellent = $50,000

Only nine Marksman rifles were produced as prizes for the Army marksmanship program. However, the winners preferred medals rather than rifles, so the Marksman rifle was discontinued after the first group of nine were awarded.

The arm is heavily engraved and features a peep sight and hooded/ bubbled front sight. The rear barrel sight is stamped, "M.R." to denote it as a marksman calibrated rear sight. The rifle is the only trapdoor rifle that Springfield made with an integral pistol grip in the burl walnut stock. The silver plate at the base of the pistol grip was to be engraved with the name of the winner.

Today these arms are very hard to find. Most reside in museums or old collections. Because of their rarity, they are quite valuable."

The amazing thing to me is that they were the Second Prize in the matches, not First, and the shooters who won them wished they had a medal instead!!!  I would love to know the whereabouts of an original just to be able to handle it (and drool a bit, maybe!)  

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
For 600yd I'd stick with either a 38-55, 45-70 or 50-70.  Don't underestimate the Pedersolli parts, those set triggers are nice.  And not having ot cut a noriginal tumbler is a plus.

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 2:14am
Print Post  
C Sharps will sell you a double ste triiger assembly for about 200, and way better quality than the Italian crap. Plus with the Euro being up those parts from overthere are getting pricey.
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint