Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) H&R Trapdoor Rifle (Read 33212 times)
screwloosetc
Ex Member

Re: H&R Trapdoor Rifle
Reply #30 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
I think a good used #1 ruger could be bought for what is spent on a prehistoric Trapdoor and not thinking about the thing blowin up.
Here is Dick Trenks opinion of Trapdoor strength And i think it is more valid than some one who screws various barrels into a TD action.I think the fact that a barrel coming out of a receiver is due to his lack of thread fitting skills which to me negates the whole theory.
Read and learn
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Tom

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #31 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Hi SSShooter. If what you're describing is the bare receiver, with breech plug and trap door complete, less barrel the price quoted to you was way high. The last assembly as you outlined that I bought was $125.00. Oh, and that was with a good barrel. I think I'd look around some more. Might try giving old Red Daugherty a call, I think his number is already in the thread. If not let me know. 

I'm attaching the article that everyone is "quoting" on the bad threads and flying barrel. 

Dick

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 165 KB | Downloads )

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. - Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
A teaser for Gemmer/Hawken lovers. When I received permission to photograph the museums originsl, I had to sign a papeer that I can not "publish" any of the pictures. I can share them with people for for study. I also had to provide a complete copy of the pictures to identify, if'n I forget.. Roll Eyes. The museum people were really great. When I arrived, the rifle was out of the display, laying on a padded table. I was asked if I needed anythin additional to let them know. The picture I'm posting is a three picture collage. It's tell a lot. If there' any particular part of the rifle anybody's interested in, holler. I took  40 odd pix.

Dick

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. - Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
OOPS, guess the single picture was too big.  Huh   This one still tells a lot. More to come a little later.

Dick

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #34 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Let's try this again, maybe I'll get smarter. 
don't know until I post it. Again, if there's any particular part or area of this original Gemmer, let me know. I should have pictures of it. 

Dick

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Beautiful. Anyone making a double-set trigger and trigger guard like that these days?

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Any of the muzzleloading suppliers, like Track of the Wolf, will have the non-Trapdoor parts.  The hammer would be the hardest to replicate, since the percussion hammer nose is too short.  You would have to either extend a hammer nose by welding on a piece or make one from scratch.   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 12:04am
Print Post  
The Rifle Shop will sell you a set of fit and hardened castings for $200, and cut your fly for another $59, but you have to buy their fly.  You just have to ask them.

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #38 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:21am
Print Post  
If you happen to notice, the lock is not military, but conventional Hawken. Furniture and hardware are available, as indicated from any of the good muzzle loader supply companies. You guys are all friends, so I guess I can give you some "secrets"  Roll Eyes . For the lock either L&R's Hawken or Leman lock will work. I use the Leman because it has a drum cutout in it. It's nice becuse it is right where it need to be and is easier to inlet the latch. The hammer is the biggy. Tried a lot of different castings. It's not just the length, which you do have to lengthen, but the throat. It has to clear the latch. If you look close at the pictures of the original here, you can see the "add line". The one that I found fits is from the L&R back action lock. It does have to re-indexed 90 degrees to the tumbler. Then just bent it left 3/16th of an inch to the left and you've got it.   Wink

Dick

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Prices, complete Trapdoor actions should only run 125-150 at the most, if they are getting more than that for them I'm amazed. I always wanted to build one of these up and the method that Dick explains sounds simple to me. Simple is almost always better.
Mike

IP Logged

cat1870

Reply #40 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
sportslube wrote on Feb 1st, 2011 at 5:23pm:
those early H& R trapdoors looked nice but have seen a couple them that upon firing they self ejected the spent case.  very unnerving to see that big piece of metal fly open in front of your eyes
bill

What's the fix for this?

SASS Life member & NRA Life member

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #41 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
The Fix for the H& R trapdoor is to pin the Thumbpiece  to the round shaft of the cam  latch so that it does not rotate out of alignment. On the  H& R the alignment is  held with a set screw. On the originals, the thumbpiece is on a rectangular stud so there is no way it can come out of alignment. H&R took a little shortcut here which can be problematic. I took the rifle to a local gunsmith to drill into the round shaft of the cam latch but it was so hard he could not drill it. I sent it out to a shop down south and they fixed it. I tried swapping out original parts and they did not fit. 
The H&R rifles are great looking and great shooters, but this problem needs to be addressed.
The problem is fixable. Building a sporter with original parts is a much better option because high quality replacement parts are readily available. There are a lot of cut down original Trapdoors out there that have good bores, all you need to do is put new wood on or dress up the original stock. 
I hope this helps!
Joe S

IP Logged

cat1870

Reply #42 - Apr 29th, 2021 at 12:30am
Print Post  
sportslube wrote on Feb 1st, 2011 at 5:23pm:
those early H& R trapdoors looked nice but have seen a couple them that upon firing they self ejected the spent case.  very unnerving to see that big piece of metal fly open in front of your eyes
bill

What's the fix for this?

SASS Life member & NRA Life member

IP Logged

TD Dick
Participating Member

Reply #43 - May 8th, 2021 at 10:51am
Print Post  
I've repaired a couple of these "auto eject" re-pop trapdoors. First the problem lies in the fact that many of these have the rear latch that is not one piece with the locking lever . So you close the trapdoor, the outside latch snaps shut, but the rear latch is free to move and rotate. There is a set screw in them that can slip for lack of something better to call it. Repair?? None that works well. Answer??replace it with an original  trapdoor breech block. It takes some fitting, but works and ends "auto eject". Hopes this points you in the right direction.

IP Logged

Jimkinmd

Reply #44 - May 9th, 2021 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Not trying to hijack this thread but wondering a few questions. I too have an H&R Officers modeland want to shoot it more often. Is there a known smith that does this repair? Also, I am thinking about upgrading it and the stock for competition ie. Silhouette shooting and distance. Would a Treebone stock fit it or any others you could recommend? Lastly, i also have a 1884 carbine with a worn bore I would like to get another barrel for. Looking for suggestions there too. I am a total newbie and any help would be most appreciated!
Admin: if this needs its own thread I can remove it don’t want to offend anyone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint