Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Swiss HW (Read 8561 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Swiss HW
Jan 25th, 2011 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Do any of the High Wall experts here know of the factory Swiss stocks producted by Winchester?

There is one in my area that was made in 1893 and has Cody paper work.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MAD MIKE
Oldtimer

Re: Swiss HW
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 12:48am
Print Post  
Frank; I think we need a little more information. Are you talking about the Winchester Special Single?(cheek rest, swiss B/P, 1/2 octagon)    ...MIKE...

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Mike,
This gun is a 1885, pistol grip, SST, color cased, with a loosely Swiss style butt stock. It has a cheek piece but, not in a Tyrolian style, it has, what I would call, a heavy American/Swiss style hooked butt plate, Swiss/German style checkering and a distinctive round scalloped wood grip cap for the pistol grip. It is a half octagon barrel in 38/55.

Best I can do to discribe it,

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 2:05am
Print Post  
Frank,

Odd question here but was the rear sight dovetail omitted?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 4:33am
Print Post  
Brian, I can't remember for sure but, I think it has a dovetail cut but w/o the sight in it.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Pictures would help a lot, but it sounds like you are describing the features of the Helm-type butt stock.  What does the lever look like?   
Can you be more thorough about describing the shape of the butt plate?  Huh   

The single trigger is strange for an original schuetzen pattern, but not unprecedented, and of course in the time frame these rifles were made, Winchester was very responsive to special orders for just the combination of features the customer desired. (How refreshing would that be today?)  Cool
Froggie

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
GF,
It has just the regualar S shaped single trigger lever. The one picture of a Helms that I have in Grants book (picture H) doesn't look like the butt plate. The upper tang is longer, almost the same lenght of the lower but, curves up like a Helms. 

I'll try to get a picture posted in a day or two. I think it's a very unique factory gun.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
This is a #2 Schuetzen.  Is your butt stock similar?
Kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Kurt,
No it's nothing like that picture. It might have been craved from the same PG blank but nothing like anything that I've seen. Apparently it was a model that Winchester sold in 1893 though.

I'm off to take a picture of it. Will post it later today.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Here are the pics. It was the grip cap that caught my attention when I first saw the gun. The gun has a big crack in the wrist and the forearm. The outside of the barrel needs restoring but, the inside is in pretty good condition. It for sale here for $3000. To much work for me for the price but, a very different HW.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Frank, 

Beautiful 1885 Schuetzen!! 

The stock and plate appear to follow the "Laudensack" style, though it appears to have somewhat less drop than normal. In "The Winchester Book" by Madis, you'll find a picture of a Schuetzen ser#111614, that is a full octagon takedown, but has the standard lever with a single set trigger and no palm rest like the one you provided pictures of. 

Looks like someone may have had the money to spend and got it made their way. 

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Brian

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
That is a beauty. Hopefully, someone will have it restored to its original glory. The wood can be fixed to make it appear as new. Same with the metal. Damn, sure wish I had an extra $5K laying around. What caliber is it chambered in?

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
SS,
I don't think the wood is savable. That bolt going through the wrist is to keep the stock attached to the tangs and to hold the broken piece in. The fore arm is also broken. I didn't take a close shot of it, it's preety standard Win with the ebony piece missing. The barrel is savable and has a dent in one corner of the octagon. The sight has problems, too.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Have shown the pic's to a couple of gunsmiths who work on 1885s and they don't believe that is the original stock, so does not matter all that much if is salvageable. Might be able to make it into a nice shooter, if the wood can be saved (save some $$ on a refurb). Same with the bore.......... what is 'nice' to a seller may not be so for the buyer if he wants to shoot it. That said, do hope someone restores it to its original glory, whatever that was.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
SS,
The Cody paper on it says that it left the Winchester factory as a Swiss model. Have the guys you've talked to ever seen or heard of a "Swiss" model? I sure haven't but am not that knowlegeable and only have a few books on single shots. I collect everything single shot, shooting and accuracy were alway my main area of interest and not collecting orginals.

I think it's a real bit of Winchester 1885 history. I posted it here, hoping someone would know of this model and get it into someones hands that could do the job of restoring it right. If I were younger and had more time and money, I'd have new stocks made EXACTLY like it has in high end wood. Polish the barrel back and the bore is very good to excellent (it's dirty right now and no pits showing) and I think it could be lap to "as new" but, would have to be cleaned first to tell for sure.

Frank
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2011 at 7:24pm by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint