Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Original load data (Read 12686 times)
nobearsyet
Ex Member

Original load data
Jan 24th, 2011 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
I would like to compile a list of the original load data for the BP cartridges.  The ones like 45-70, 38-55, 40-65 etc.  I know the caliber and bore designation thing, my question involves the use of wads, bullet weights, etc.  Any help would be greatly apreciated.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Original load data
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
NBY, as you probably already know, the second number is the nominal powder charge of the appropriate granulation of black powder.   

Originally the whole designation of those cartridges typically included a third number to tell the bullet weight too, such as .45-70-500 which would have a .45(7)" bullet, with a weight of 500 grains, over 70 grains of black powder.

Froggie

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 12:09am
Print Post  
nobearsyet, doing your list via a forum or the Internet will be spotty at best.  May I suggest:
* Buy a copy of Cartridges of the World, that lists all the center fire and rim fire calibers, original bullet weights, original gun powder charges and energy ever made 
* Go to Cornell Press and buy the several reproduced pamphlets and cartridge catalogs that were produced by WRA and UMC.  Bear in mind, that WRA & UMC, by caliber made specialty rounds also, ie paper patch and long range GG loads, in addition to the original loads
* Another good source is the loading data tables on the Goex website.  NOTE, these tables were not developed by Goex for their powders.  
Back in the 70's, Hodgdon (who bought Goex in 2009) sold black powder that they bought from Nobel Industries, made in Ardeer, Scotland.  It just happened that Nobel also bought out Curtis's & Harvey (C&H) which was also made in Ardeer, Scotland.  I firmly believe that the loading data on Goex's website came from C&H to Hodgdon via Nobel when they were selling Nobel powder and have had these tables tucked away ever since then.  Why?  They are a smokeless powder vendor only after they dropped selling BP until they bought Goex
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

So ...
Quote:
I would like to compile a list of the original load data for the BP cartridges.

you can make a list of original loading data for every US and European center fire and rimfire caliber that shot original gunpowder, including bullet weight, powder charge, granulation, fps and energy that was every made  using the sources that I provided to you

You didn't mention black powder shot shells!  They are cartridges too.  This data can also be obtained from Cornell Press from a C&H catalog with all the dram equivalent weights by powder granulation by gauge

Have fun because it is going to be a LONG LIST!  Your 27 now.  Let us know how old you'll be when it is completed!  Grin

« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2011 at 12:20am by »  

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Please also keep in mind that today's brass tends to be heavier (thicker), especially at the head area, and modern cases will probably not hold a full charge of powder based on modern powder densities and case capacities...as in your 38-55 loading may only hold 49 gr. of black powder, etc.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 2:05am
Print Post  
nobearsyet,

Something else worth thinking about... some cartridges came in multiple flavors, so to speak. An example is the 45-90 WCF. Winchester used  the same 2.4" long 45-90 case for the 45-85 WCF and the 45-82 WCF, where the powder charge was reduced as the bullet weight increased. Sharps also had a variety of loadings based on the same 45 caliber 2.4" long case. 

You've chosen a pleasurable pursuit, and I wish you the very best. 

BP

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Whelan's book has a lot of data. Sharp's complete guide, Mattens handloading book and Narramores too.  Cartridges of the world is brief but complete

Plenty of source materal. Best go to ASSRA archives for copies or loan of the books themselves

Boats

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Here is another source for the dimensions of the old rounds that is useful to provide supporting information for the powder charges
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Yeah, I figured out internet dope might be bad.  Around here I think most of the information I get ought to be good, not too many BSers around here.  I have a copy of cartridges of the world back home.  I'll have to look into the other books.  So what everyone's telling me is I not only want the old dope, but the dope for the new brass as well.  Cartridges of the world doen't have data for new brass IIRC.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Quote:
So what everyone's telling me is I not only want the old dope, but the dope for the new brass as well.  Cartridges of the world doen't have data for new brass IIRC.

You are confused ... Old is New!
Example: 45-90 (45 caliber - 90grs of powder)
300gr bullet - 90gr Fg powder - 1550 fps
The 90 is not in the caliber designation just to take up space ... it IS the powder charge for old and new

If you believe there is a newer powder charge - show me the source!

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
You have to read the old data with a Educated Eye.  I will make a little graph with what everybody says about a load compare and see if anything sticks out as unusual. Some old Lyman data has errors I am told. However trends and general opinions surface.

Then there is the difference in components, cases and powders.  Old data uses old powders. It's possible to interpolate some, I use SR 80 Date for 4759  Have a letter from Ken Waters on a Rifle Magazine Letterhead from years ago that gave me that advice and it's never gone wrong. It it looks like SR 75 data is about right for 4227  too not so sure about that one.  New Unique is hotter than old for sure. 

Old data books are a lot more complete for reduced loads and large straight cases too. Some of the comments are colorful. Matten gives my 32/40 gallery load the comment "good hog killer"  With a comment like that it must be a preferred gallery load. Works for me anyway.

I have used the 1927 Olympic load in my Period 03 Arsenal Sporter. 168gr Spritzer at 2300 fps. Powder is no longer obtainable but 4064 replaced it in Dupont's line and same charges give the same velocity.  It's a great easy shooting Silhouette load to 500 yards. And the rifle wins style points if not the match.

Basic rule is see if it makes sense start light and work up carefully Watch out for he BSers though my wife calls me the "King of BS"

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #10 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
So what everyone's telling me is I not only want the old dope, but the dope for the new brass as well.  Cartridges of the world doen't have data for new brass IIRC.

You are confused ... Old is New!
Example: 45-90 (45 caliber - 90grs of powder)
300gr bullet - 90gr Fg powder - 1550 fps
The 90 is not in the caliber designation just to take up space ... it IS the powder charge for old and new

If you believe there is a newer powder charge - show me the source!

John Boy,

As an earlier poster stated, modern brass is often much thicker than the old stuff, so it is often necessary to reduce the charge from nominal to even get it into the case.  F'rinstance, I have to shoot a maximum of about 35-37 gr of ctg GOEX in my current W-W brass marked .32-40.  Of course, YMMV!  Cool

froggie

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Boats has good advice! 

I became enthralled with hand loading in 1968 and bought my first reloading manual. There is a wealth of info in the old manuals for our area of interest. I'd suggest collectinging them. They really aren't to expensive, I see them on Ebay a lot. I have Ideal manuals back to 1939. I reread my manuals a lot and you'll find a wealth of bullet mold info in the lyman and Ideal manuals, too. I'd also suggest getting a copy of Phil Sharps book "Complete Guide to Reloading". He is my only sourse for some loads. In it, you'll learn how much effect the corrosive primers had on smokeless loads for pressures.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
My favorite old manual is Sharpe's but Mattens is a close 2nd.  Book I bought the other day in reprint edition is The American Rifle by Whelen.  He has a lot of data on the old loads, not a loading manual but extensive ballistic data on both standard and high speed loadings for the old straight side cases. This from 1915 were it was common to have both loadings available.

New manuals are often lawyered up with all sorts of cautions.  Lack of experience in some of the companies too.  Shooting buddy and I are working up Cowboy Lever Silhouette rifles.  I am trying both 45/70 which I have long experience with and 30/30 which I know little about.  At Raton 30/30 is the cartridge to shoot they say.  Pistol Caliber Lever Silhouette I am using the 32/20 and my loads came from Sharpe.

Anyway 170 FN hunting loads in the 30/30 work fine and you need velocity to knock over the ram.  Chicken Pigs and Turkeys at short range most guys are using 125 gr flat nose varmint bullets.  Question came up on how to load them light, don't need 2400 fps for a chicken 50 yards away or a Turkey at 150. Guy I know wrote Hodgen asking about 4227 and got a smart Alec response he ought to invest in a can of rifle powder.

Old manuals show a number of 4227 30/30 loads for 125 gr jacketed bullets launched at around 1600 fps which are perfect for Silhouette.  Every cartridge you shoot does not have to be a max load. Now that Hodgen owns all the powder company's what you get is what they know and in this case it was very little.

Boats

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Boats, I'm showing 30-30 starting data for the Lyman 311441 gas check bullet with 7.0 gr. of Red Dot for 1400 fps, 7.5 gr. Unique for 1480.  This is from my old Lyman handbook that's lost it's cover, but I'm guessing is from around 1975 or so.  Wait, I found it on EvilBay as a reprint from Cornell, it's from 1973!   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
I find this post of interest.  I still use old ideal #38 manual as well as lyman 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 manuals as well.
Quite fun to use these copys in conjunction with a good crono...
I have also some more old manuals that I cant put my hands on now, I think they may be in some old trunks from my last move 25 years ago..
Several years ago I did test some Uniq that was in a small square tin with some in plastic containers, and did find a small diff in vel on some 45 lc rounds ..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint