Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) E.A. Leopold's Oleo Wads (Read 14506 times)
creedmoormatch
Ex Member

E.A. Leopold's Oleo Wads
Jan 23rd, 2011 at 10:15am
Print Post  

In the late 1890's to early 1900's, E. A. Leopold of Norristown, Pennsylvania was producing and selling various formulations of bullets lube to the schuetzen community.  One of Leopold's products was No. 12 Oleo Wad Sheets which came in a 2" X 3" X 0.032" thickness.

He provided an instructional page which provided for the proper use of the resulting circular wads.  Apparently, Dr. Mann was a big proponent of this material in his shooting activities.  Accordingly, I am seeking information from anyone who may happen to know about the ingredients that go into making Leopold's No. 12 Oleo sheets.

I was under the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that oleo was a food product used in cooking as a substitute for the dairy product butter.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Re: E.A. Leopold's Oleo Wads
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
In Phil Sharpe's "Complete Guide to Handloading" he lists the formula  for "Leopold's Oleo Wads" as;

5 oz Japan wax
5 oz beeswax
2 oz ozocerite  
3-4 tsp Acheson Unctious Graphite #1340

Steve

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Web,
The term oleo just means oil. Generally something made from oil can be called oleo. I ate a lot of that Oleo oil on toast when I was a kid, too.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
I remember a time when the "oleo" substitute for butter came in a pouch that also contained a small dye packet. You had to pop the dye packet and then knead the dye into the oleo to obtain the yellow buttery color, before opening the pouch and using the spread. 

When oleo was first introduced, Wisconsin - a dairy state - banned the importation of the then new oleo within it's borders to prevent competition with real butter produced in-state. 

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 4:08pm
Print Post  

To Steve ; 

I greatly appreciate receiving the formulation for Leopold's oleo wads.  I assume that quantities for each ingredient would be ounces by weight, since you haven't said otherwise.  My next task is to search for each of the items you've mentioned.

To Frank and BP :

So oleo with a lower case " o " is a generic term that may be used to describe something that is oil based or contains an oil.  Interesting, I had not known that.  Whereas, oleo with a capital " o " is a trade name for a specific butter alternative, such as "Oleo spread on toast?"

I plan to give it a try using Stevens formula as a bullet lube, as did Leopold.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
In early aviation oil-filled shock absorber based landing gear were commonly referred to as "oleo-struts".

At one time the Dixie GW catalogue used to carry a list of modern equivalents for older chemicals and compounds commonly used in shooting sports.   I may have an old one in my basement file cabinet.  If i do I'll look up those compounds. 

I imagine the last one is a real fine collodial-grain compound,  like the stuff used to dry lube locks

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Ozocerite?  Who knows what this is or where to get it?  I looked it up and it may be a natural wax which is also spelled ozokerite.   See Wikipedia  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

If I can find the ingredients I'm game to make some of this.  I note that Ozokerite is found in Utah...maybe close by Smiley  Seriously it sounds like a parafin wax extracted from some organic rich rocks.  I'm sure it is chemically similar to parafin from hydrocarbon deposits.   

Dave 

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
DWS8130, 

You're jogging a few of the dormant brain cells, got me to thinking about the WWI vintage 24 & 27 Nieuport biplanes that had the Indian head insignia we associate with the old Savage Arms Co. I think the oleo-struts appeared a short time later. 

UtahDave,

The naturally occurring mineral wax sounds correct, and I believe it was mined at one time. I'll have to dig out the Geology minerals books I have cubby-holed around here somewhere.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
The commonly held impression is that the exact formula for Leopold's Oleo Wads died with him, although the one recorded by sureshot is commonly accepted to approximate the original formula.  Previous shooters who have tried it report that this formula does not exactly duplicate results from the original.  If anyone can find/recreate the exact formula from Leopold, they will themselves become famous and much beloved!  Wink

Froggie

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jan 23rd, 2011 at 3:03pm:
I remember a time when the "oleo" substitute for butter came in a pouch that also contained a small dye packet. You had to pop the dye packet and then knead the dye into the oleo to obtain the yellow buttery color, before opening the pouch and using the spread. 

When oleo was first introduced, Wisconsin - a dairy state - banned the importation of the then new oleo within it's borders to prevent competition with real butter produced in-state. 

And for years the law required that oleo be stamped in 4 places on each stick - so the folks making it stamped in on one side 4 times.

Then there was the farmer who named his only daughter Oleo, because he didn't have any but her.
Grin

Hmmm.  Seems to be the best lubricants for high pressure applications are organic.  Wonder why?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
A ranch around here is named "Oleo Acres--The Low Priced Spread".
Chuck

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 8:41am
Print Post  
One of the things that I fondly remember from my time in Wisconsin was the fact that by state law only butter and cream or milk were allowed to be served in restaurants. To this day I resist putting the remnants of what came out of the crankcase on my toast or in my coffee. 
  As to the oleo wads It has been written that the secret to Leopold's wads and other lubricants wasn't in the ingredients but in the method that he used to make them. His lubricants were all saponified and I am willing to bet his wads were also. Many have tried over the years to recreate Leopold's lubes and all have failed.

40 Rod

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 9:58am
Print Post  

Quote:
wasn't in the ingredients but in the method that he used to make them. His lubricants were all saponified and I am willing to bet his wads were also. 40 Rod

I believe that E.A. Leopold collaborated with a expert rifleman named Charles Herrick, who was an M.I.T. graduate, on a lot of this bullet lube experimentation.  At some point C. Herrick's brother, Rufus, became involved and Rufus Herrick was either a chemist or a chemical engineer in industry.

I also believe that it was Rufus who first introduced the use of caustic soda into the mix in order to saponify the lube, as 40-Rod points out, and thus render it much more resistant to separation, and to also raise the melting point. 

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 10:27am
Print Post  
You could also try looking at the lube forums over on the CastBullets website.  A search for "Leopold lube" might be productive

On their site there is a lot of carry over from the forums on the long-defunct ShootersTalk site, including the lube subforums .   They had a couple regular participating members who were chemists in the soap/oil/chemical industry.  There was also a guy who was a consulting chemist of some sort in the black powder production business.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 10:05am
Print Post  

Thanks DWS---

I am presently using Charlie Dell's lube, in a hand pump and die, which lube was prepared by a friend who was there when Charlie was working at putting his various lubes together and testing various component parts.

When I learned of Leopold's lube sheets, a saw an opportunity to accomplish two things, lube and wad, in one component.

I doubt that many shooters today use the sheet lube, as Leopold did in the past, as a substitute for lube in the bullet grooves.

I will, however, follow your suggestions to see where it all leads me.

Thanks again,

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint