Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) E.A. Leopold's Oleo Wads (Read 14520 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Re: E.A. Leopold's Oleo Wads
Reply #15 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Hello, guys.  I too have at one time or another thought about duplicating this formula.  Concerning Ozocerite wax...since it is natural occuring..though mineral...would it be considered an organic ingrediant?  Does anyone know any benifits to a lube from it's use..other than sounding quite cool to your buddies?   Good stuff.  Thanks!

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 4:16pm
Print Post  

22/5/40     Glad you jumped in here.  I got sidetracked and haven't purchased anything yet towards working some of this lube up.

I would have to think that Mr. Charlie Dell would have had an interest in experimenting with oleo wads, and perhaps he did , and found them to be a passing fad.

I will send an e-mail to the shooter who currently works with Dell lube to see if he remembers Charlie ever mentioning the stuff.

The other question which I have remaining is, does the oleo wad replace the lube in the bullet lube grooves, or is it used as an addition to the lube placed in the bullet grooves ?

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 1:48am
Print Post  
.22-5-40,

From the AGI Dictonary Of Geological Terms:
ozocerite - One of the solid hydrocarbons. It is light colored, soft, and consists largely of paraffin hydrocarbons of high molecular weight.

But a word of caution might be advised here... don't let the greenie's find out you're messing around with organic substances like coal or the various forms of petroleum hydrocarbons that were created by natural geologic earth processes from plant-life deposited during the Carboniferous period of the Paleozoic Era. They'll likely hold protests on your front lawn and leave empty tofu containers and plastic water bottles scattered all over your yard for you to clean up after they depart.     Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Trap4570

Reply #18 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Ozokerite has about the same melting point as canuba wax.  Thinking back some years - I read that Ozokerite was used mainly to prevent the lube from drying and cracking as it aged.  Canuba does the same thing and it has a polishing effect.  The canuba wax I use is the sealing wax on Makers Mark bottles.  I'm not sure if other brands use the same wax or not, but it does not crack or split with age.  However - I've never let a bottle of Makers Mark set around long enough to see if it is true or not.

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Hello, I have never had a problem with lube cracking..even on bullets lubed for years.  But when I use the synthetic Spermaceti wax I purchased from Charlie Dell..no matter how small the amount..added to pure beeswax, anhydrous lanolin, & castor oil..those bullets after sitting awhile...sparkle!  The do look pretty.   
   Just a thought on those Oleo wads.  I wonder if they were placing them in case mouth & breech-seating lubed bullets?   Back in the 1930's when high velocity jacketed varminting was getting started..Phill Sharp mentions the use of grease wads under the jacketed bullet to reduce erosion.  I even tried these using formula's in Sharp's book, in a .219 Donaldson Wasp.  Seemed to degrade accuracy.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #20 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Donaldson also writes on how to eliminate barrel erosion in the 220 Swift using extruded "Grease Cookie" he gives his formula also.

40 Rod

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
I attended some of the ASSRA matches at the Michigan City "duck farm" range in the mid 70's as a non-shooting spectator member. Somewhere I have a few slides I took at a match in '75 or '76 I think

I have a very clear memory of watching the guys breech seat bullets---my first experience with that idea, watching them de-cap and re-cap cases, measure in the powder, and then press a small sheet of some sort of wax over the mouth of the case with their thumb in sort of a reverse cookie cutter manner; in just the same way that floral foam is currently used.
The wax sheets, perhaps 3 or 4 inches square as I recall were purchased and came in a box with paper separators. I have a less clear recollection they were sold, perhaps by a dentist who was a member.  Early Journals might have an ad for the,.
One of two guys had, what I now think of as a Pope/Darr/Dell lube pump that had a slotted insert that would extrude a ribbon of lube.  The ribbon was pressed into the case mouth in the same manner, not sure what the lube was  must have been a pretty tricky blend to be soft enough to extrude but firm enough and un-sticky enough to handle

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint