Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dupont numbers (Read 3475 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Dupont numbers
Jan 22nd, 2011 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Here's something that I've wondered about for 30 years.......... How did the dupont powder numbering system come about? There seems to be no rational to it. To of the oldest powers have far separated numbers (4759 & 3031) and and the latest (of that era of powders) 4350 doesn't follow in any order.

Any one know?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Re: Dupont numbers
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Frank, don't feel like the Lone Ranger.  Here's my old cans of DuPont that I have no idea when they were processed and canned ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
I figured the only source would be the DuPont Hagley Museum.  Sent an email to their archives librarian and received no response. Another source is Bill Knight, aka the Mad Monk.  He doesn't know either.  So one of these days I have to drive down to the Museum and start rooting around.  I've got 23# of this old DuPont in Fg-FFg-FFFg and FFFFg.  It is a dense powder and creates good velocities with good fouling control.  So I really want to know when it was made

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
I dimly recall Phil Sharpe having written that the numbers were either the prototype lot number or a formulation number generated by DuPont's development labs.  The sequence being purely chronological, number having no relation whatever to the characteristics of the powder.

I'll try to find the reference tomorrow.

<div class=

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
John Boy
Just curious: Does the DuPont powder flash yellow or red like GOEX. Don't know about Swiss.  Has to do with sodium or potassium nitrate. Sodium was earlier and not sure DuPont ever used potassium. Sodium is supposed to be less sensitive to moisture, Etc.
Chuck

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 5:44am
Print Post  
Chuckster,
I thought that I read years ago that the "modern" Dupont black powder was Sodium Nitrate and that the "old" Dupont BP (turn of the 19th century) was Potassium Nitrate. The article that I read said the Potassium was less hydroscopic and fouled less. It went on to say that because of the lack of demand, Dupont stopped making the Potassium nitrate gun powder and replaced it with their sodium potassium blasting powder. 

I believe the source that I read it in was "Muzzle Blast" the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association magazine. I could be wrong, does anyone else remember anything like that? 

Frank
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2011 at 12:34pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 11:09am
Print Post  
I remember something about it too. Both Sharpe and Whelan have a lot of detail on the powders, will pull out the old books. Might be in Mattens or Naramores too.

Boats

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Did an experiment. Have an oval Dupont can with a little powder left in it. Can't swear it is the original powder but do know it is, at least, forty plus years old. It flashes red, same as GOEX.  I was incorrect. Frank is right.
Chuck

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint