Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Turned brass cases? (Read 16369 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Turned brass cases?
Jan 20th, 2011 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Hello, I was wondering if any of you have had experiance with Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company brass.  This is turned brass.  I ordered some cases in .25-20 S.S.  I haven't used them all that much so far, but they seem to be ok with the light H4227 loads & breech-seating.  Thanks.

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Re: Turned brass cases?
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Have used 25-20SS and 32 Ideal RMC cases, the 25-20SS cases have been loaded with fixed at least 5-6 times with medium velocity (1500-1700fps) 60gr Jbullets in a Stevens M44 that has a poor bore and will not shoot cast bullets, they are still in like new condition with no Losses.
The 32 Ideal RMC bases have fired many fixed loads but of med/low velocity, not over 1400fps in my CPA sporter rifle. When I run them through the cleaner they look like new, have not lost a case in 3 to 5yrs of use.

The one thing I did notice is that the RMC 32 Ideal cases have about 3-5 grains less capacity than the original cases I have depending on the different brands I checked them against.

IMHO RMC is excellent quality brass and 1000+ times better than the "B" stuff,
MIKE-T

IP Logged

Fritz
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
I echo the same experience of that of Mike-T on both quality and my findings through usage of RMC"s 25-21 and 28-30 cases.RMC outstrps the "B" brand greatly---Fritz

YIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
My experience has been the total opposite. The RMC cases are better dimensionally but dont hold up as well as the Bertram cases.  I've never had to resize a Bertram case. The RMC cases seem to have less spring back than the Bertrams and start sticking after about twenty five shots. Thats when breech seating. Might be a total different story when shooting fixed, the cases being resized for each reloading.   

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Had some RMC .25-20SS once, and my experience was poor.  The brass proved to be very brittle right out of the box.  I necked twenty down to .22 for my Lovell, and on fireforming something like half of them split.  When I tried to neck the rest back up to use in .25-20 again, the necks split.  I had maybe three cases that were still usable.  For new brass, this is dismal.  By comparison, the Jamison drawn .25-20SS brass that I bought last fall has had 100% yield from this operation.  I just bought another 100, and quite strongly recommend this to anyone else shooting .25-20SS.  I suspect that RMC is using bar stock that is not the proper alloy for cartridge cases.  Probably because proper C260 alloy isn't as easy to get in bar form, or maybe because it doesn't machine as easily.    It's also true that machining leaves a very different microstructure in the surfaces vs. drawing.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2011 at 9:15pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

38-55

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Use RMC cases in 25-21, also I use everlasting 32-40 with small pistol primers.  I breech seat and have not had any problems.  I don't think I will ever wear out a 32-40 everlasting case.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
I had a friend of mine give me some 32-40 cases to try and the majority of them collapsed at the mouth with the first firing. I don't find this to be a fault with the cases as it is my understanding one needs to send in a chamber cast for each individual rifles chamber. I plan on doing just that for my 38-55 in the future as the quality of the cases are truly a sight to behold. Also with inside of the cases having no taper and being straight walled one could use an over powder wad such is done in the smaller capacity Schuetzen class cases. I was shooting a cylindrical bullet at the time in my 32-40 so I used one of the blown out cases that survived on my Weber breach seater.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
There seem to be a few things going on here with turned cases... I'll lend my semi-educated opinion to the mix..

Cases turned from bar stock do NOT have the same mechanical properties as drawn cases. 

With turned cases, you do NOT size them, and you can NOT form them, without wrecking them.... If you neck them down to a smaller size, dang right they're going to split!  They don't, won't, can't, and never will have the same properties as drawn cases. No matter what the alloy.

If your cases need "sizing", then they don't fit YOUR chamber and will not work well.  Again, the mechanical properties of turned bar stock is not the same as for drawn cases.  If you blow-out-and-size-down the turned cases, they will fail.  Properly fit to the chamber so they do not expand past their elastic limit, they'll last forever.  Start sizing them, and they'll fail quickly.

Turned cases are not just a different way to make cases, they're a different sort of product with different mechanical properties in the material.

Paul F.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Here again I have had just the opposite results Paul. I have sized RMC 40/70 everlasting cases down to 32/40 Remington with no problems what so ever.  Also RMC 38/55 everlasting down to 32/40 Winchester. 
I watched Dave Casey make my 25/20 SS cases. They came off the lathe a straight walled case then sized in a sizing RCBS? sizing die to create the neck. 
I do agree that the composition/condition of the two types are different. The turned cases are fragile compared to the drawn cases. The drawn cases having been work hardened and properly annealed during manufacture leaving the heads strong and the walls soft.

All of my RMC cases have tapered walls just like drawn cases. 

Maybe I'm the dumb farm boy that didnt know you couldnt do it?  Huh

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Well, it certainly wouldn't be the first time I'd been wrong!
And being wrong in the cause of learning something is nothing to be ashamed of either.  Smiley

Perhaps it would have been more accurate for me to say that continued working of turned brass is not good?  The drawing and selective annealing also changes the grain structure vs as-delivered bar stock. The larger grain structure of bar stock is less elastic - but you've certainly pointed out that it can at least be formed once!

Anyway.. at the very least, turned brass is a different animal, and shouldn't be blanket criticized (or praised for that matter) over drawn brass.

Paul F.

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
The continued working and annealing of turned brass results in--drawn brass! How do you think the stuuff is sized before the drawing process?
Fred

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
I wished we both had a dollar for every time we were wrong.  Wink 

Something J Louis said makes sense to me. A chamber cast sent along with an order for turned cases. I had one near complete head separation with a 25/20 SS case because the cases were to small in the head area, or my chamber is to big. A chamber cast would be very good insurance. Also had a head separation in my sloppy chambered 38/55 with the turned cases. The turned cases just dont seem to have the elasticity and hardness in the head area. 
The gas leakage in my 38/55 cut a ring in my chamber. And that was using straight BP! 

Joe.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Fred;

"before the drawing process" the brass is a flat piece of stock thicker than a quarter... and it's punched down through a hole and in sucessive steps formed into a closed-ended cylinder...
THAT is the mechanical forming process that changes the grain structure and increases the toughness.

No amount of firing, annealing, and sizing will reproduce the properties given by the heavy drawing operations in making drawn brass!
It may make it easier to work with, but it won't be 100% identical.

Joe;
If I had a NICKLE for every time, I'd have enough to build that really nice High Wall I've been salivating after!  Smiley  At a dollar, well, the drinks would be on me!

Paul F.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
I've made several machined cases for 30/40, 308 and 45/70. Mine were all made as reduced capacity cases for better load density. My most successful one was made of 304 stainless steel with a internal capacity of 1.9cc's. It had a .250 hole back to the primer area but the neck was reamed .3115 id and chamber size .340 od. It lasted for years but, gas finally got behind it and collapse the neck. There was no saving it Sad but, I doubt if it ever could have had a head separation though. I also made a 30/40 out of bronze with a .3125 drilled straight chamber back to the primer pocket. It was 2.8cc's.  note here, you need to leave a thicker head area for machined cases. Most drawn cases have a head thickness of about .200, I made mine leaving  the head .250 behind the drill point. The head area is going to be softer and weaker than a drawn case, no matter what you do unless you use stronger materials like SS or aluminum bronze. The 45/70 I made with a .375 hole back to the primer. All but the 45/70's were made for small primers.

I would say that the biggest advantage of the machined case is that you can fix any head space issue you might have. I didn't find the "magic bullet" I was looking for in case capacity or primers ( I did have some success with the stainless case). But, I can stay one thing, That little stainless case saved a lot of powder!

One other thing, for those that would make them. The inside of the neck has to be very smooth. Do not just leave a drilled finish if you ever shoot it fixed. The bullet will grab the roughness and take the neck with it!

Joe, did you anneal your cases before reforming them?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #14 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
No Frank. They were new cases already annealed. Heres a picture or two.

Joe.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint