Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic bullet size (Read 2440 times)
Hank45
Oldtimer

Beer is living proof that
GOD loves you

bullet size
Jan 19th, 2011 at 10:23am
Print Post  
If the mould you are using drops a bullet that is .002 over the grove dia. of the rifle is it safe to use that bullet without sizing, thanks for your answer,  Hank45

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: bullet size
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Yes it will not be a problem. I shoot .3230 bullets and my barrel grooves are .3210 at the chamber and .3206 at the muzzle because my barrel is tapered to choke down.

This set up with tight bullets has shot excellent targets for me and it does not lead up with 20:1 lead:tin bullets using Alberta Schuetzen lube.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
A lot of folks shoot .001 to .003 over groove diameter.   

Under groove diameter is likely to cause problems.

Could sizing improve the bullet?  (Hence accuracy)  Try it both ways see if their's a difference.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Hank, shooting lead bullets, they need to be able to obturate (expand) into the grooves of the bore.  Based on the hardness of the alloy used softer bullets will obturate better than harder ones.
Groove diameter to 0.003 larger will be Ok.  But to determine the best accuracy, your rifle will tell you which size shoots the best.

And don't rule out the use of harder alloys.  There was a test done recently and a comparative article published using 1:16 alloy compared to various WW alloys.  The 98:1:1 alloy bullets bumped up better than the others.  The groove marks were almost to the top of the bullet nose while the others had marks down near the driving band.  I have found this to be true, with a 100yd target that had 14 bullet holes in a small ragged hole out of 25 shots.  Was shooting Postells of WW plus 1/2% tin

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Some of my rifles will shoot an oversize bullet and some wont. Must be the sharp short taper from the chamber to the bore. One of my German rifles will shoot a bullet .005 oversize. Must have a long tapered throat. 

Soon as I find that blow dryer I plan on doing a chamber cast. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

LINOWW

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
If it fits the throat it will generally shoot well even if oversize.A friend used to shoot a .308 dia.l barrel with a throat that started at @ .315 from the end of the case 1 deg per side.He shot bullets sized .315 with a 1 deg taper like the throat and they shot fantastic.

George

G A DAMRON V

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint