Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Goex to stop production of some powders (Read 7833 times)
zrifleman
Ex Member

Goex to stop production of some powders
Jan 15th, 2011 at 12:48am
Print Post  
For those not aware of this, Goex is stopping production of Cartridge grade BP and the Cowboy powder, and some of the Express BP. When Hogdon's aquired Goex there were fears that they would change formulas and disrupt supplies to the BP shooting public. There are those in the know that feel Hogdon's has turned a deaf ear to the needs of the BP shooting public. They almost immediately dismissed some long time Goex employees. This last year they raised the price of their BP 22% while other competitors stayed the same. If you have an opinion or know someone at the Shot Show this year, it's a good time to let them know how you feel about their lack of support for BP shooters.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Goex to stop production of some powders
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 1:15am
Print Post  
While I applauded Hodgon in the 60's until I stopped shooting in the 90's. They almost have a monopoly on gun powders today (I was afraid of this when they started buying the rights to IMR and Winchester). They now can raise prices w/o fear of loosing there market. Hodgon now have enough power to queeze Alliant and Accurate out. We also need more powder made in the United States!!!

What we now need is another company like Accurate was in the 80's, selling 2lb's of powder for the price of one!!!

Frank

PS
Does anyone know how many powders are actually made in the USA?

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

walt
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 6:56am
Print Post  
Do we make anything in the USA except welfare babies?

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 7:08am
Print Post  
Don't forget anchor babies. Plenty of them made here.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 7:09am
Print Post  
I finally found a BP load that works in my 32/40. Goex 3F Express.  Oh well, I hate the stinky stuff anyway. Love / hate. 

Our politicians are the best campaigners and money makers in the world. 
I bet they make more money campaigning than most manufacturers in the USA. 

Maybe they'll make Goex BP in China.   Undecided Sad Cry 

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 9:58am
Print Post  

Quote:

Maybe they'll make Goex BP in China.   Joe

Black Powder manufactured in mainland China may not be a bad idea !

After all, the propellant was first formulated by Chinese workers many centuries past.  If it were to become available as an import from China, you would then see it stocked on the shelves of the local Wal-Mart super stores.

I, in the mean time, will be in touch with my British counterparts and plant the seed that now would be a perfectly good time to bring Curtis & Harvey Ltd. sporting powder back to the market place.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 11:59am
Print Post  
I understand GOEX started to make cartridge grade black powder to fight off the competition of Swiss taking over the market.

It appears Swiss may have captured so much of the market now that GOEX can no longer compete in that market.

Everyone has been saying buy American but I keep hearing more and more of the Black Powder Silohuette shooters are converting over to Swiss due to increased velocities and reduced rates of spread on velocities with the polished finely sorted Swiss powders.

« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2011 at 12:06pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
I know this was about BP but Frank ask how many powder's were made in USA and the Alliant company seems to be doing just that as can be seen from my can of MP-300, JLouis is testing this powder and having good success, I made a short test in my 32-40 last fall and it appears I will be testing it more thoroughly in the spring, with a high quality series like the MP powders, Alliant may be able to fight Hodgdon's off for awhile...

As to BP, I had hoped though it was misplaced that Hodgdon's would work on the Goex make it the best and beat out the imports, sorry to hear that will not be the case, I hate paying $27+ for a can of Swiss, but it does perform the best. 
MIKE-T

frnkeore wrote on Jan 15th, 2011 at 1:15am:
While I applauded Hodgdon in the 60's until I stopped shooting in the 90's. They almost have a monopoly on gun powders today (I was afraid of this when they started buying the rights to IMR and Winchester). They now can raise prices w/o fear of loosing there market. Hodgdon now have enough power to queeze Alliant and Accurate out. We also need more powder made in the United States!!!

What we now need is another company like Accurate was in the 80's, selling 2lb's of powder for the price of one!!!

Frank

PS
Does anyone know how many powders are actually made in the USA?

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I finally found a BP load that works in my 32/40. Goex 3F Express
If you believe GoexF FFg works well for you ... your going to love Swiss FFg.  Even give KIK FFg a try - hot stuff?

As for Hodgdon respective to Goex, I have already said my piece about them.  And take this to the bank ... the folks they terminated, McDonald and Bagwell were experienced knowledge individuals in the BP business ... Plus  they fired a couple of the operators that were most knowledgeable, knowing the processes to make powder.  IMHO - quality will decrease even further.  And the short cuts they currently used to make 'sporting powder' and I use the term loosely - were not equal to those of Swiss and Schuetzen.
Might add, Schuetzen has been reformulated.  Velocity has been increased 8 - 10%

IP Logged

zrifleman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
John Boy---Thanks for the imput! Kenny W emailed me his feeling on the Hogdon's Goex situation, months ago. No love lost between Hogdon's and the BPCR world. Goex demonstrated the ability to make BP just as good as Swiss but not the desire to do so.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:
I finally found a BP load that works in my 32/40. Goex 3F Express
If you believe GoexF FFg works well for you ... your going to love Swiss FFg.  Even give KIK FFg a try - hot stuff?

As for Hodgdon respective to Goex, I have already said my piece about them.  And take this to the bank ... the folks they terminated, McDonald and Bagwell were experienced knowledge individuals in the BP business ... Plus  they fired a couple of the operators that were most knowledgeable, knowing the processes to make powder.  IMHO - quality will decrease even further.  And the short cuts they currently used to make 'sporting powder' and I use the term loosely - were not equal to those of Swiss and Schuetzen.
Might add, Schuetzen has been reformulated.  Velocity has been increased 8 - 10%

I've burned about two cases of Swiss #2 in my 38/55 and 32/40s John Boy. Goex FFF Express works best in my 32/40 fixed. I use both brands and I have some Elephant and have used some BP from China. It all stinks, but thats what the boys like to shoot.  I cant tell much difference in Express and Swiss.  Of course I'm just an old fart now and dont shoot as good as I used to. 

Joe. 

IP Logged

JBBOOKS
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 6:47am
Print Post  
What brands are made in china?       THANKS  JB BOOKS

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 11:29am
Print Post  
I dont know JB. The stuff I used was about ten years ago. Came in a can with a yellow label. Cant remember what brand it was. It was I think about two dollars a pound cheaper than anything else at that time. I got some from a club member that had gotten it from the local gun club. 

The buckskinners said it shot fine in their MLrs and it shot just fine in my 40/65. That was back when all I shot was duplex. 

Joe.

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Sometimes I think that the blackpowder market is driven by those guys who have two criteria for buying black powder.  First does it make smoke and fire and second is it cheap.  The little F's and G's don't mean nothing and they can live with the awful mess it makes.   

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:
What brands are made in china?

JB, there are/were 2 imports of Chinese powder I know of.  One is called called Lido and the other was repackaged stuff called Skirmish.  It is supposed to be Fg granulation and is made using ball mills, not a wheel mill.  And unless you want some real dirty bores and high ES' plus SD', forget about it because it is fire cracker powder!.  I use Skirmish for my CAS shotshells and it smokes like a fog bank.  Powder Inc is sold out of it and no reorders that I know of.  Lido is sold by a vendor up in WI ... I don't remember their name

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint