Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic chamber dimentions (Read 6260 times)
Hank45
Oldtimer

Beer is living proof that
GOD loves you

chamber dimentions
Jan 10th, 2011 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Is the chamber for an everlasting shell different than a standard shell chamber, thanks for your answer, Hank45

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Re: chamber dimentions
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 10:15am
Print Post  
It has been 10 or 12 years since I messed with my 40-90 Ballard.  When I got the rifle I did a chamber cast and it definitely had larger chamber dimensions than is needed for for standard brass.  The was a distinct larger diameter at case mouth and a step  down for the bullet and throat.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

woodly
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Hank45,
I am just going through the everlasting learning curve!! I have a #4 Perfection Ballard in 40-60-EL. The everlasting case was offered back in the 1880's to provide a case that would last forever. The wall thickness is twice a normal case to do this. I fire formed and shot  WIN .405 brass in my gun and the case wall blew out to like .426 ID due to thin wall brass in an everlasting chamber. My bullet diameter is .410 so I had to neck size to reduce this .426 to around 409 or so. It shot fine this way.  I did do a chamber cast and had Rockey Mountain Ctg make some original brass for me which I should have next week. That is it in a nutshell. It is real clear if you do a chamber cast and get your caliper out.  Hope this helps,

Woodly

IP Logged

blackpowdermax
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2011 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
I think there is a misconception concerning "Everlasting" chambers.  The chamber is the same, the ammunition is different.  For instance, I have a 40-63 Ballard, it chambers and shoots 40-63 Ballard Everlasting cartridges and 40-70 Ballard (non-Everlasting) cartridges equally well.  Because the 40-70 Ballard is thinner walled, the I.D. is larger and the volume is larger, therefore 70 grains  of powder vs. 63 grains.  The O.D. of both is the same.

The non-Everlasting versions of the Everlasting cases came from the ammunition manufacturers.  I have never seen an original Marlin-Ballard rifle marked 40-70 Ballard or 40-90 Ballard, only ammunition.  However, I have a Hiwall in both of these calibers, because that is the ammunition that Winchester made.

The early 40-90 Ballard Everlasting (3-1/16"), the 40-60 Ballard Everlasting, the 38-50 Ballard Everlasting, the 44-75 Ballard Everlasting, the 44-100 Ballard Everlasting, the 45-100 Ballard Everlasting and the 40-65 Ballard Everlasting had no non-Everlasting equivalents.  The 32-40 Ballard, the 40-63 Ballard Everlasting and the 40-85 Ballard had both.  The 38-55 Ballard was non-Everlasting only as far as I know.

How did they deal with the oversize neck diameter of the non-Everlasting cases?  Larger I.D. = thicker patch.  The bullet is the same (roughly bore diameter), the patch paper is just thicker to take up the extra space.  GG bullets are more problematic, but paper patch was the norm at the time of the Everlasting.

Hope this helps....

max
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2011 at 8:52pm by »  

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
I had to dig my rifle out.  It's a  Pacific No. 5.  Fortunately the famous Antique rifle restorer who reworked this gunback in the 80's did not wipe out the markings

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Maybe they aren't real.

All the time I got the rifle I was led to believe everlasting brass was heavier-thicker than non everlasting brass both having the same internal dimensions.  That theory fit the apparent large chamber  dimensions and the the fact that the 40-90 Sharps brass expands so much when fired in the chamber.  Annealing and sizing required to hold the .413 diameter bullets.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2011 at 9:34pm by DoubleD »  

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 9:09am
Print Post  
I've had a Ballard Pacific in what I assume (from chamber cast) to be .40-90 for several years now and it is still unshot (by me.)  I had to get a .413 mould (early Borton and Darr) to fit the (slugged) bore and groove dimension, and while .405 Norma will enter the chamber, their rims are too thick, and original virgin .40 BELL Basic is too large in diameter to enter the chamber.  I have one original paper patched round that will chamber fully and close, but at $30 from a collector will probably not be shooting it any time soon.  I could sure use some help getting this thing up and running if somebody out there has more experience with this caliber than I do!  Undecided

Froggie

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 10:25am
Print Post  
I used  Bertram 40-90 Sharps  straight cases and dies from RCBS. I sent them a chamber cast and they made the dies.  I was able to load the new unfired brass and fire it.  But there was still a  problems of some sort (that means I don't remember what) and I sent the chamber cast, dies and fired cases back to RCBS and they fixed what ever problems there was.   

I was working with Tom  Ballard trying to find a bullet that worked.   I had problems with keyholing and suspect my alloy was too hard.   

That was 10 or so years ago and I was getting frustrated so I moved on to the 577/450.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Hello, Hank45.  although I have no personal experiance, I seem to recall reading that Elmer Keith had a Sharps. or Ballard that took the everlasting case..had such a hard time finding right cases, he sold it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint