Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic gas cutting ? (Read 3512 times)
LINOWW

gas cutting ?
Dec 29th, 2010 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Also posted this on the CBA forum.Bullet was a.311 dia 32-20 bullet shot in a 7.65 Argie gallery load.My buddy went too far down on the charge(1.5 Unique) and this bullet lodged 10" down the bore.Take a look at how the gas got by and melted the bullet.

just a curiosity.

George
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2010 at 1:58am by LINOWW »  

G A DAMRON V

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: gas cutting ?
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2010 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Not melted...bullet didn't reach the 560*F plus range...but gas cut, like a dirt clod with a water hose.  May not have sealed in the neck/bore, may have been an imperfection in the base.   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2010 at 1:07am
Print Post  
George,
Can't tell for sure but, I don't think i see any scuff marks on the groove. Is it smaller than the groove diameter? w/o pressure, it wouldn't have been able to arbitrate and seal. The bevel base doesn't help, either. I've never had any luck with bevel bases in rifle or pistol.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2010 at 1:14am
Print Post  
Another thing to think about regarding melting is, for every one pound you compress air, it increases in tep by 2 deg. So, it only takes 500 psi to raise the temp to 1000f. with the bullet dwelling in the barrel, holding the gases at what ever the pressure was, it could have melted threw like that if it leaked in the groove area.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

LINOWW

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2010 at 1:47am
Print Post  
Bullet is exactly groove diameter from what i can tell from a slug i ran though his barrel..I thought about the base having a void,but cant really tell even with a magnifier.i am  going to pretend i am Dr. Mann and try to repeat this and see what happens.Not sure if it "cut" in the case or after it was lodged.Anyhow thanks for all the input.i just spent the evening shooting my #1 30-06 with 2.5 of Unique and the 308241 at my 10meter range offhand.What fun!!

George
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2010 at 1:57am by LINOWW »  

G A DAMRON V

IP Logged

LINOWW

Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2010 at 1:48am
Print Post  
38_Cal wrote on Dec 30th, 2010 at 12:09am:
Not melted...bullet didn't reach the 560*F plus range...but gas cut, like a dirt clod with a water hose.  May not have sealed in the neck/bore, may have been an imperfection in the base.  

David

The nose area seems  to be melted a bit.

George

G A DAMRON V

IP Logged

LINOWW

Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2010 at 1:56am
Print Post  
i stand corrected on the caliber,it was an 1891 Mauser in 7,65.large long throating.

George

G A DAMRON V

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2010 at 3:48am
Print Post  
Interesting!

The jet of gas appears to have plumed upon entering the first grease groove, the lower density and lower melting point of the lube being unable to keep the gas as tightly channelized as the lead alloy at the  bands. There does appear to be some initial erosive melting at the band/nose transition with flow further forward onto the ogive. 

What does the barrel look like?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint