Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic setting up open sights? (Read 3451 times)
dangerranger
Ex Member

setting up open sights?
Dec 24th, 2010 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
I wasnt shure where to put this, as its a reloading question and a gunsmithing question rolled into one. Im putting open sights on my 4570. the load Im using is a 405gr bullit at 1300fps [BP speed] Im using 27gr of H4198 to get it there. the problem is Im running out of elevation at 200yds.  my options are blocking up the rear sight, lowering the front sight, or finding a faster load. at 100yds this is an accurate , and comfortable load to shoot, but its drop is almost 22" at 200yds. should I look for a faster and posibly lighter load with less drop? or keep working on the sights? I had the same issue with the scope and ended up shimming the scope base to get enough elevation. what do you guys think? thanks DR

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: setting up open sights?
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Drop is related to time of flight, longer it takes to get to the target more it drops. If not much a little increase in velocity will help lighter bullet will mean higher velocity.

But I like Black powder velocities and would recommend altering the sights.   Which way higher rear or lower front depends on what you have to start with. If the front is high filing it down can make a big difference

Might take the front off and put a plastic throwaway sight on with duct tape or zip ties. Then cut it down to zero.  That will let you see what the proper height is without any calculations. Depending on your rear sight can do the same simple riser block out of something easy to cut and shape, longer screws see how it does. Then make a permanent riser.

Boats
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2010 at 5:36pm by boats »  

IP Logged

dangerranger
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Heres the rear sight I cam up with.  the front is a Lyman globe. after going over there catalog they do make a lower front.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I wanted a sight that I could move on and off the rifle, and still not interfear with the scope.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Is the setting shown on your rear sight the one you're having problems with?  It's shown at the lowest elevation...if so, raise your rear sight to get to what you need at 200 yards.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

dangerranger
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
UH no. with the sight all the way up I was having to aim at the 12 O clock to get centered hits. Im guessing I need another 1/8". wouldnt hurt to have another 1/8".

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Ok, so with the sight at about 10% to 20% up off the bottom setting, where does it hit at 100 yards?  Shoot a group at that distance and find the group center on paper.  Measure from there to the desired point of impact.  Measure the sight radius.  Multiply the sight radius distance in inches by the amount of correction in inches, then divide by the distance to the target in inches...100 yards being 3,600 inches.  This will give you the total amount you will have to move your sights to get you dead on at your 100 yard base distance, with a bit of down movement available for fine tuning if needed.  So, you'll need to lower your front sight, or get a lower one by the approximate amount you compute.   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

dangerranger
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2010 at 3:35am
Print Post  
Thanks Ill try that ! it will be probably mon before I get to try it. but at least I have a formula to go from. DR

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 25th, 2010 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Fergot to mention, when you're shooting your group for measurement purposes, hold the sight picture you intend to use with the new, lower, front sight.   Grin  Even if that means a taller piece of target paper with the aiming point near the top.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 25th, 2010 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Lyman 1A's are good sights I have several high dollar front sights and 3 or 4 1A's on different rifles.

The Lyman does it's job just as well. They are available in several heights and dovetail sizes too

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint