Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lyman STS Reticle repair (Read 13670 times)
j_c_johnson

C C Johnson's grandson

Lyman STS Reticle repair
Dec 24th, 2010 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Hello all;
I have a Lyman STS which needs the broken crosswires replaced.
I am reluctant to send it to Parsons when they seem to be having
some difficulty after Gil's passing.  Their website is no longer up, 
and Gil was the one who answered the phone, received and unpacked,
and packed and shipped scopes and parts.
Any suggestions where I can get this done without waiting forever
and at a reasonable cost?
Thanks, and Merry Christmas!
Jerry

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lyman STS Reticle repair
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 9:10am
Print Post  
I talked to Gil's son the other day, he is active and repairing, I suspect he has more work than he can do however.  He built my STS with his Dad, doubt if anybody knows more about Lyman's than Parsons.

Web site is not current get his phone number from Information in Hamilton Ohio I think.  If I can find the phone number will post

Unfortunately Wait's can cost are the price of using old stuff though.

Boats

IP Logged

RJM

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Jerry,
If you unscrew the eye piece, the cross hairs are right at the back, easily accessible. They are on a ring that's secured with a couple of small screws. The cross wires are soldered to the ring.

You can use an electronic solder iron to melt the solder, wipe it off, and replace the wires. 

Search for the thread on building a scope. He used a single strand teased out from dental floss, super glued in place. The strands are incredibly fine & strong - they work just fine.

I used the same technique replacing wires on a Unertl 20X & it worked great. Unertls have the wires secures with screws, which make things a bit easier to line up the cross hairs squarely. One Redfield I did had grooves in the ring, with the wires soldered - that also was easy to line up.

I have a 15X STS with wires that are too coarse & need replacing. Perhaps this weekend, I can get to it & take some pictures.

Merry Christmas,
Ron

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 11:53am
Print Post  
I have a scope which had a wire break about 5 years ago. I bought the finest wire I could find and replaced the cross hair, but it was much too coarse. In the end, I thought :"cross hairs!". The scope has now been in use for 5 years with a reticule made from two hairs from my dog's tail, superglued in place. if anything, they are better than the originals.
Fred

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
A friend that lived locally and repaired old scopes, told me the best "hairs" to use are from a black widows web. And that the makers from the 19th century used them in the first scopes. For there weight, they're stronger than alloy steel. 

Food for thought,

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Frank, funny you should mention the web from black widow spiders. I had a friend who's father did repairs to optical instruments. He mentioned about the black widow spider webs. Said come to where I work one day and will set you up. A lot of our valves on oil lines were in below ground vaults. And you guessed it, they were full of the little buggers. Never saw a guy so happy over spiders. My buddy used to catch them in mason jars and give them to his father. Kinda disconcerting to be in one of these vaults and look up and see a big black widow staring right back at you. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2010 at 7:46am
Print Post  
I second the suggestion of John Knudsen. He has done several old scopes for me. You can easily remove the piece to which the crosswires are attached and just send this to John. be aware, though, that you must be very careful handling and installing the repaired piece as the wires are very fragile.

IP Logged

j_c_johnson

C C Johnson's grandson

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
DIY reticle repair more than I want to tackle.
Sent the reticle tube to John Knudsen yesterday.
Thanks for the leads.

IP Logged

218bee

Reticle wire for sale....HERE
Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Hi Gents;

I have been selling reticle wire for about 15 years now, and have 2 different diameters to choose from...(.0015") medium and (.0005")  fine.

The wire is purpose-built for optical instruments involving reticles..It is annealed tungsten and shows up jet-black.  Its very strong to work with...I've sold much to members here in the past year, with no complaints...
I sell it in 10 foot increments...$15.00 total, shipped, per 10 feet....Only rule I have is that I accept ONLY US Postal Money Orders..

If interested, or have any questions, please email me at:

ds1911@verizon.net

IP Logged

kcajeel

Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Ok now I know how to rewire my crosshairs with my dogs tail. How do I add the dot?

jack
YIM  
IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
I give up.
Fred

IP Logged

kcajeel

Reply #11 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
LOL, me too Fred.

jack
YIM  
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Old thread, but sent my STS to the fellow in NM last winter and he did a very good job with a thorough going over (clean, lube, new reticle). Reasonable price and ~6 week turn around. If anyone needs detailed address, etc., respond and I'll dig up the contact info. He advertises in Precision Shooting.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Thats Bill Ackerman, he is very good worked on several for me over the years. Story is Bill Designed the Weaver T scopes while working for them in the late 60's  May or may not be true

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #14 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Send it to Bill Ackerman. This spring Bill did a dot for me on my Mitchell. When it was sent back to me the post office handled it so roughly that it broke the Jack Dexter box inside a cardboard box and damaged the scope. I called Bill he said to send it back. I repaired and re-glued the box then packed it in an even larger box with plastic foam and sent it off again. Bill fixed all the damage that the post office did to my scope and returned it to me. The only thing he charged me was for shipping. The scope is now perfect and doing well on my rifle. I can't say enough good things about Bill.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint