Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 35 WCF (Read 2635 times)
BP
Frequent Elocutionist

35 WCF
Dec 21st, 2010 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Anyone out there working with the old 35 Winchester cartridge? 

Have the experiences been good, bad, indifferent? 

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Re: 35 WCF
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2010 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
I had one a few years back, best I can say is sell it and get a 35 Rem, lacked a lot in the areas of shootability, ammo availability, and accuracy, but was a heck of a PITA.  IIRC

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
I have a Model 95 in .35 Winchester.  Not a target rifle but plenty good for the use and range it was meant for.

Full house loadings, as far as I can see, are right up there with the .405 Winchester.  Cast bullet loadings (I use the Ideal 358318 HP) seem to hit almost as hard as cast bullet .45-70 loadings; much more authority than any .30 caliber cast load.  I picked the caliber for its ability to use .38 pistol bullets for plinking, but mostly stick to the 358318.

I make the brass out of Hornady .405 shells.  One anneal in the midst of forming, and I haven't lost a case yet.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 11:59am
Print Post  
This one is in a Wall, and I'm considering how useful it would be. I've got a good stock of BACO's 30-40 basic brass on hand that I already use for the 40-70 SS, so necking and trimming some cases to 35 is pretty much the extent of the case-work. 

Already have a 45-90 for chasing elk, and there are better rounds for the 200 yard game, but was thinking it would be good to bring the old gal back to the line and see what she's capable of. 

Thanks for the replies. 
BP

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Trap4570

Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
I have a Mod. 95 in .35 that is a take down model. It has a Lyman peep with the standard front sight.  Some years back I got some Bertram brass and loaded it up and went to the club.  I can't remember what powder I used or the bullet weight.  I was shooting 200 yard plates and the rifle was very accurate.  I remember it had a pretty good recoil and I seem to remember hearing that the 95's all had hard recoil.  I didn't play around with it much more than have some ammo on hand.  One day I will shoot some paper and play with it a bit more, but I can say it is a good round from my standpoint.  I do know I will wear a magnum woosie pad on my shoulder next time.  I have become a certified 'woosie' in my advancing years!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint