Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Reloading .50-45 (Read 12127 times)
bluelake
Ex Member

Reloading .50-45
Oct 29th, 2010 at 12:13am
Print Post  
This past summer, I bought pre-made .50-45 cartridges from Gad Custom Cartridges to test out my RRB carbine.  I plan to take up reloading to save on costs and also to adjust things later on.  Also, I plan to do some reloading for other cartridge rifles I have.

Here is what I plan to buy:

• Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit
  • Winchester Large Rifle Primers #8-1/2
  • Die sets for each caliber
  • Case length gauges

I already have .50-70 brass, Goex FFG, .515 mold

Am I in error on anything on my list?

Question--what dies, shell holder, etc. should I use for this cartridge?  For case length, George Layman mentioned 1.37".  However, the cartridges I received from Gad were .56-50 brass and 1.17".  

I'm new to reloading, so please forgive my questions (and I'm sure I will have more).

IP Logged

merle
Ex Member

Re: Reloading .50-45
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 11:36am
Print Post  
I would get (because I use it in reloading my RB) the lee universal decapping die.

Reason:    If you are using BP, you may not want to full length resize.
The universal decapping die will remove the primers withouth resizing the brass.   The cases may fireform to the chamber.  If that's the case, you may only want to neck resize.

If shooting BP, you might consider a compression die from BAC.   GOEX thrives on compression.    I would also recommend an over powder wad for two reasons:

1.  Gives the compression die something to "push" against.
2.  Keeps bullet lube from contaminating the powder.

And if shooting BP, a newspaper overprimer wad will tighten the group.
BAC sells the overprimer wad punches.   

A case care kit which will have a primer pocket cleaner, brushes, case lube, and a chamefer.   You will need to chamafer the case mouth of new cases so you can get the bullet into the case.

If shooting BP you will definitely need a case tumbler. You'll probably need one anyway.   An hour or so in the tumbler will clean the cases almost as good as new.

A set of scales for weighing powder.   You can get by with volumetrics with BP but with smokless and old actions...you NEED to take care.   

Finally, with cut down cases, you may need to anneal the mouth of the case.   Hornaday makes an anealing kit.

Last but not least, I and others, have found Federal Large Rifle, or CCI large rifle primers to have less variance then Winchester Primers.  They may work fine for you, but you should consider others.

Merle

IP Logged

kodiak1

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
bluelake
I have one of those too.  It is a great little gun to shoot.  My wife fell in love with it the first time she used it.
The bullet I use is 340Grain over 47 Grains of ffg compress slightly and set 0.030 wad.
Good luck Ken

Love to Live, Live to Shoot

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 11:19am
Print Post  
a 50-45 rolling block was my very first BP cart gun. I bought one of the original surplus barrels at a gun show for 35.00. never been on a gun. Mint. Bought an action for 150. sent it all to a gunsmith friend.

I bought Gain Twist Brass. Rocky Mountain Cartridge has that operation now, I believe. It may seem pricey, but no sizing needed and they are properly head stamped.

Ch-4D, at least used to, makes dies for it. The proper length for seating. They are in fact 50-45 loading dies. I used a rapine smith bullet mold. .515 dia. 

tried fff, ff and swiss 1.5 f. All worked in it when drop tubed, .30 fiber wad on top of powder and no crimp, just a snug bit to hold but not break the lead of the bullet. 20=1 lead tin mix. SPG or Emmerets lube. SPG is good and you don't have to make it.

The rapine smith bullet has a tapered base and is easy on the expensive brass because having to bell the case to accept the bullet is kept to a minimum and that can weaken the brass over time. IMO.

it is a fun fun fun bullet to shoot! smoke and fire with half the kick!! well, maybe not half, but comfortable to shoot.

Let us know how it goes!

Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 11:20am
Print Post  
I said no sizing needed about brass. My mistake, no case length cutting from 50-70 is what I meant.

IP Logged

bluelake
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 9:50am
Print Post  
I appreciate the replies so far--thank you very much.

MerwinBray--I guess I don't understand about not cutting the case length from a .50-70.  The .50-70 has a case length of 1.75", while the .50-45 is 1.37".  I tried to chamber a .50-70 cartridge in my RRB carbine this past summer, but could not.

T

IP Logged

bluelake
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2010 at 1:09am
Print Post  
What about a die set for the .50-45?  Is this what I'm looking for? (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); They (and even moreso the ones from RCBS) seem a bit pricey.   

IP Logged

bluelake
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2010 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Anybody?

IP Logged

Trap4570

Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
My approach is a bit different.  I had an extra set of 50-70 dies and just ground them down until I could neck size only.  2F powder works well and I load by volume giving little care as to how many grains.  I fill the case to where the bullet barely presses against the over powder wad.  I fill all cases then vibrate them and add a little powder to those that settle more than others.  They stay within 10 fps according to my chronograph.

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2010 at 7:37am
Print Post  
The C-H dies from Buffalo Arms you asked about are the correct ones.  I have a feeling the brass you were sent is wrong length. 

You can verify this with a chamber cast.  this process  is easy to do.  If you don't have cerrosafe, the bismuth alloy that brownells sells, you can do a cast with sulfur.  the casts are more fragile, but sulfur is cheap, and the dimensions will be just as true.  Get pure sulfur, heat very slowly in a clean, dry soup can or the like (place the can on an electric burner inside an iron frypan or the like)  Don't use an aluminum or teflon pan as bad things will happen when you overheat a dry pan!!)  Remove the extractor and breechblock, oil the chamber and first 3/4" or so of the bore. Pack a couple dry cleaning patches tightly in the bore just ahead of the chamber.  Hold the gun vertical and pour the melted sulfur (about the consistency of honey) into the chamber and let it solidify.  then pop the cast out with a cleaning rod onto a padded surface.  You should have a precise cast of your chamber and a bit of the rifling as well.

Questions about dies, case length and others could be handled by Dave at C-H.  He's a great guy, an absolute encyclopedia of reloading knowledge, and loves talking on the phone.  Best to call him in the early evening.  You can get the dies directly from C-H if you prefer.  Cost is the same, but Dave get's all the money, which is a nice way to reimburse him for his phone time.  740-397-7214      

And, yes, the dies are more costly than common calibers, but the .50 Carbine dies are about half the cost of the .44-100 Peabody What Cheer dies from C-H that I needed to get my creedmoor shooting again!!

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Peabody and Peabody-Martini's Wanted!

IP Logged

bluelake
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 12:38am
Print Post  
John in PA wrote on Nov 27th, 2010 at 7:37am:
The C-H dies from Buffalo Arms you asked about are the correct ones.  I have a feeling the brass you were sent is wrong length. 

You can verify this with a chamber cast.  this process  is easy to do.  If you don't have cerrosafe, the bismuth alloy that brownells sells, you can do a cast with sulfur... You should have a precise cast of your chamber and a bit of the rifling as well.

Questions about dies, case length and others could be handled by Dave at C-H.  He's a great guy, an absolute encyclopedia of reloading knowledge, and loves talking on the phone.        

And, yes, the dies are more costly than common calibers, but the .50 Carbine dies are about half the cost of the .44-100 Peabody What Cheer dies from C-H that I needed to get my creedmoor shooting again!!

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your reply--it helps a lot.  I will certainly be contacting Dave at C-H.  A couple questions--first, is that die set considered non-stock/custom?  The reason I'm asking is because on their website they say they require 16-20 weeks for non-stock/custom.  Also, do you have an e-mail address for Dave?  Currently, I'm out of the country, so e-mail is a bit easier.

The brass I bought (from TotW) was for .50-70 cartridges; as I will cut them down to the 1.37" for .50-45 cartridges, the extra length is not crucial.  However, thanks for the tip on doing a cast of the chamber with sulfur--I will try it with my carbine.

« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2010 at 12:49am by »  

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2010 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Dave has a lot of stuff on hand.  You'd have to inquire about your specific caliber.  I believe price is the same at Buffalo, so you could source it either place.  I guess the email is on the website(??) I usually talk to him on the phone. I searched my mail but don't seem to have any email address.

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Peabody and Peabody-Martini's Wanted!

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #12 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Bluelake,

my quote was 
"I bought Gain Twist Brass. Rocky Mountain Cartridge has that operation now, I believe. It may seem pricey, but no sizing needed and they are properly head stamped." Then I followed up with the "I said no sizing needed about brass. My mistake, no case length cutting from 50-70 is what I meant. " post.

I was refering to buying actual 50-45 headstamped brass from gaintwist, now rocky mountain cartridge. Dave Casey's operation. The brass is already the right length, as it is 50-45 brass, therefore no cutting to length. But it may need sized. Sorry if I wasn't clear. My fault.

Jon

IP Logged

kodiak1

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
The dies through CH are classified as custom dies.
They were a little bit pricey but hey you arn't going to find a set any other way.

Good Luck Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot

IP Logged

bluelake
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
MerwinBray wrote on Dec 2nd, 2010 at 5:55pm:
Bluelake,

my quote was 
"I bought Gain Twist Brass. Rocky Mountain Cartridge has that operation now, I believe. It may seem pricey, but no sizing needed and they are properly head stamped." Then I followed up with the "I said no sizing needed about brass. My mistake, no case length cutting from 50-70 is what I meant. " post.

I was refering to buying actual 50-45 headstamped brass from gaintwist, now rocky mountain cartridge. Dave Casey's operation. The brass is already the right length, as it is 50-45 brass, therefore no cutting to length. But it may need sized. Sorry if I wasn't clear. My fault.

Jon

Thanks for the clarification, Jon.  Looking back at what you wrote, I see what you were saying.  However, looking at RMC's price list, they looked a little pricey at $52 for 20, whereas the Starline .50-70 brass that Track of the Wolf carries is $53 for 50.  I'm going to at least give the cut-down brass a try.  Still, I really appreciate the source and I will keep RMC in my favorites.  Thanks!

Thomas

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint