Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Browning 78 Low Wall (Read 3310 times)
zeke

Browning 78 Low Wall
Oct 1st, 2010 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Smiley         Is $695.00 a good price for the above rifle in .243 Winchester ?

The gun is used but is in perfect condition.

What kind of accuracy can I expect from this rifle?

How strong is this action? Can I safely load to 55,000 psi in this action?

It has the light weight barrel and very nice wood.

Any thoughts about this rifle?

tia,

Zeke

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Browning 78 Low Wall
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Based on what I've seen over the past few months on GunBroker that is a reasonable price, being at the low end of most. However, even with modern steels I'm not sure I would shoot any 'hot' .243 rounds out of it.  However, am guessing you could contact Browning directly with your questions and they would answer.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Browning did not make the B-78 in a Low Wall version, only the Model 1885.  It's a different beast, similar but not identical.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

zeke

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
     Hi David:

You are correct! It was an1885 Low Wall.

A funny thing happened when I went back to the store the next day to see what the gun had been priced at for sale.  It had no price on it when I was looking at it the night before and the owner said to come back tomorrow and he would have a price on the gun.

When I went back the nest day and asked the owner if he had priced the gun, he said that he sold it the night before to the guy who was in the store with me the night before.

When I was looking at the gun the night before, this guy said," Let me see that gun."  He looked at it and said that he would not buy it because he disliked the shinny finish on the stock.  He only liked oil finished stocks.  In any case, the guy left with the gun.  He told the owner that he came to buy that gun.

This gun shop is in a small town of 200 people and the guns are very low priced.  There are people who check this store up to 3 times a week for good buys.  I saw a nice pre 64 Win 70 in .270 caliber for $450.00 and wen home to get my money.  Three hundred yards to my house and three hundred yards back with my money.  Guess what, the gun had been sold in that short period of time!  I have learned to put some "hand money" on anything that I see in this place!

Enough for now,

Zeke Embarrassed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint