Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How do I use a Winchester loading tool? (Read 6045 times)
zeke

How do I use a Winchester loading tool?
Oct 1st, 2010 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
     Hi:

I recently purchased a High Wall that came with the original loading tool.

Can somebody tell me how I use it?

Should I clean the "patina" from the tool or will it decrease the value of the tool.  There is no rust but many black stains on it.  The same question for the lead ladle.  Fortunately the bullet mold and handles are pristine!

TIA,

Zeke Smiley

IP Logged

CajunRebel
Oldtimer

Re: How do I use a Winchester loading tool?
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Picture or something, there were several.  I have a copy of the 1894 inst. I can e-mail you.

IP Logged

zeke

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
     Hi CR:

Thanks for the help!  I don't have a camera  so a picture is out of the question.   

The tool is a large black thing that has two legs that screw together at a pivot point.  The case is primed via a punch that is cam operated  that presses the primer int the case while the case is in a shell holder.  To size the case and seat a bullet remains to be learned.  There is a bent rod that has a decapping pin on the end of it but how does one press the primer out of the case?

In any case, I will send you my e mail address in  a private message.

Again, thanks for the help!

Zeke 

IP Logged

podufa

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you have the 1891 Model, it was made just before the 1894. They are nothing alike. The 1891 is not real common and usually missing the decapper.

IP Logged

CajunRebel
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Yep, sounds like the 1891.  Hard to come by in .32-40, I've looking.  Two for sale on Ebay, .45-70 and .38-55.

IP Logged

blackpowdermax
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Zeke.......here goes:  Winchester Model 1891 reloading tool...

1.  Decapping...this tool has the tap out kind of decapper.  Insert in case, tap lightly with a leather or wooden mallet and out comes the primer.  If you don't have a piece of wood with a hole in it, you can use half of the tool with the left hand screw in plug.  Remove the plug, drop in the case, replace the plug, turn over the whole thing, drop in the decapper and tap as above.  Then remove the plug and case.  The tapered part in the plug is also used to bell the case mouth.

2.  Recapping...take the same half of the main tool as above, insert case with new primer in the shell holder slot on one side, turn over  and screw in the recapper part of the recapper/decapper and the primer is seated.

3.  Bullet seating...after adding powder (this tool originally had a small brass powder measure for black powder) and hand seating bullet, take the same half of the main tool as above, remove the left hand plug and insert the case with bullet through the plug hole and put the left hand plug back in but don't tighten all the way down.  Take the other half of the main tool and slip it over the bullet end of the case that sits in the 1st half of the tool and start screwing the two halves of the main tool together.  At this point you can tighten the left hand plug all the way down.  Screw the two halves of the tool all the way together.  This will seat the bullet, full length size the case at the same time and crimp the bullet in place.  Unscrew the halves and the plug and you are done.

A bit of a PITA, but the tool actually works.  It is just a bit slow.  Keep the die clean as noted on the tool.  And don't clean the patina from the tool, it will harm the value of the tool.  Not the rarest Winchester tool, but they are right up there.   Cool

max

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint