Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Single Shot Rifle Picture Thread (Read 212329 times)
GuzziJohn
Ex Member

Re: Single Shot Rifle Picture Thread
Reply #90 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:57am
Print Post  
This highwall is a .219 Donaldson - Wasp. The scope is an eight power Unertl. Although it was turned into a varminter some time in the past it is a very nice shooter. 
John

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #91 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Hey Frank.......You aren't trying to put any pressure on me, are you???? Roll Eyes. What kind of wood do you like??  Do you have the barrel and in what caliber? We need to talk about this.  Undecided Undecided Wink

Dick

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. - Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #92 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Dick,
Not only was I there, I hosted it! I handled, drooled and fondled that gun....mostly when you weren't looking!! 

I still hope to someday be able to work something out with you about stocking up some parts I have. I love that thing and I love trapdoors. Match made in heaven!!

Will you come to the gathering again next February? I know it is a long drive for you, but I bet there are more who would like to see your wares in person!

Jon

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #93 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Okay! Trapdoor Schutzen  *drooool*.  I'd use the trapdoor lockplate with all the parts from a sporting front action lock on it. Double sets of course. The Meunier stock made from a  nice piece of wood such as this. The Meunier buttplate or the Berg buttplate which I have a couple on hand. 

Caliber? 32/40, 38/55?  False muzzle picket barrel??   Huh  Reminds me of that old song, I Dreamed I Was There, In Hillbilly Heaven. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)  Where he wakes up.   Angry

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Joe.  Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2010 at 6:10pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #94 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Hi Jon. Haven't talked to you in a while. Good Lord willing and the creeks, etc. I will be there next year. I'll try for a little less of an entry, promise.  Health has been a problem, but I'm still upright, most of the time. I wonder if you have a better memory than I. Do you remember if I had already re-stocked that Greener when I was there. If I hadn't it would be kinda Gemmerish, otherwise much more English. No big deal, just can't remember myself.  Hey Westerner, that be some mighty fine lookin' walnut ya gots there. Personally I like working with maple, Maybe 40 years of building Longrifles got me in the habit, but those pieces are nice. What old chassis are they laying on??  My other weakness--- old car hotrods. Nuff jabberin' for now. Oh, and Jon, a plug for a plug. Anybody that misses the "Gathering" next year is really missing something. It's a 4/5 hour drive for me and anybody closer than that has NO excuse for not being there. Later guys. Wink

Dick

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. - Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #95 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
I like Maple too. I have a bunch but it's Western Maple.  Not good for gunstocks in my opinion. 

The chassis is a 1949 Dodge Power Wagon, B1.  Nother hibernating project.   Roll Eyes

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #96 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 1:30am
Print Post  
Hey Joe,
Do you have any idea where i might find a piece of walnut shaped like your? It dosen't even have to have 1/2 that much figure in it.

The other thing is when I was about 7 my folks used to go to a hall where Cliffy Stone had his TV show in the LA area. I got to see Tex Ritter sing in person and got his autograph. '51 or '52 Fords were new then.

Dick,
I have a '35 Ford truck and a '48 Ford truck.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #97 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Old trucks and guns, what else could you ask for. Last I'll say on the forum about it so we don't get tooo far off track, 1927 Ford Roadster Pickup. Nuff said. Back to wood: You're right about western maple. Mine all comes from northern Wisconsin or Michigan and a smattering from PA. Really high figured walnut, while being one of the most beautiful there is, can have some major strength situations even with a straight grain wrist. And I just like the "feel" of good maple. It also takes the finish I make really nicely. Jon, you saw the examples at the Gathering. Much of the rich reddish brown is in the finish as much as in the stain. And to be honest, it works every bit as well on good walnut. It just brings out the base colors with no other finish or stain (who stains walnut?? Sad). Sorry guys, I'm ramblin' again.  Embarrassed

Dick

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #98 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
I stain Walnut, almost always. 
Heres ma zip gun with a piece from the first tree I harvested back in 1976. 

Joe.    Smiley

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #99 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Nice stuff Joe. If I can dig out the pictures, the most beautiful piece of wood I've ever worked with is on a flintlock Schimmel I built 20 odd years ago. It is curly ash. Also the most miserable. really had to watch grain direction when scraping it. Come off grain instead of into grain and watch a piece pop off into the land of cussin' Undecided   

Dick

IP Logged

contrary_kid
Ex Member

Reply #100 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Anybody ever use Koa from the Big Island of Hawaii for a rifle stock ? Fiddleback Koa is the most beautiful wood I have ever seen and I am retired from the U S Forest Service where I saw a lot of beautiful wood.

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #101 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 11:56am
Print Post  
This is my ugly duckling 222 R It was built by a benchrest guy Orlin Gilkerson in Ohio for purpose of shooting varmints from his truck. barrel is 17 1/2" Hart. Stock is Herters Dot on target is 3/4" shot at 200yds. This is a very eficient tool. 
Tom

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #102 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Anybody ever use Koa from the Big Island of Hawaii for a rifle stock ? Fiddleback Koa is the most beautiful wood I have ever seen and I am retired from the U S Forest Service where I saw a lot of beautiful wood.

Koa is gorgeous for sure.  Smiley

The price is high. Priced a piece today. It is 3" X 28" X 56" Nice figure but not fancy stock figure.  1250.00 US.

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

contrary_kid
Ex Member

Reply #103 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Joe, Hawaii is the only place in the world where Koa grows. The only trees being harvested now are all on the Big Island. There are a few places where you can buy it cheaper (as opposed to cheap) than what you found. The problem is the local woodworkers get most of it first on an allotment system- rightfully so. By the time the guys who sell to the rest of us get theirs the best figured wood is gone and the price is very high. I have seen pieces of hand crafted Koa furniture that would have made a show stopper gun stock.

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #104 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 11:03am
Print Post  
I saw an old Ford "Woodie" station wagon where the owner had al the wod replaced with Koa. All highly figured Koa. Hate to think what that cost.. Whew. Anyhow, I dug out some pix of the curly ash gun, so I'll post a few here. I think you'll all enjoy this one.

Dick

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21
Send TopicPrint