Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Single Shot Rifle Picture Thread (Read 212229 times)
pacific5
Ex Member

Re: Single Shot Rifle Picture Thread
Reply #240 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Here are some pictures of three of my Ballards. Hope they go through. Think I have this figured out.  The top one is a Pacific 5.  I took off the ramrod because I shoot it off bags all the time.  Second is a 1 1/2, 38-55.  It was a junker, but I built it into a shooter.  Third is a 4 1/2. 40-65.  I took the original barrel off because it was a 40-65 everlasting, and the new barrel is cut to the same dimensions so the wood will still fit on the original barrel when I put it back on. The new barrel is a 32 inch 40-65 Win. Enjoy!

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #241 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
pacific5 - very nice! Good to see someone other than me shooting a 32" barrel.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #242 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Very nice Ballards!  I want them all, REAL BAD!   

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

pacific5
Ex Member

Reply #243 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 12:34am
Print Post  
I had three more Ballards, but i could't get the pictures to go thru. I'll try to send them tomorrow, i was probably just doing something wrong. Thanks for the response.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #244 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 4:14am
Print Post  
What caliber is the Pacific?   

The Pacific is one of my favorite rifles. 
Is the barrel original? 
Is there an inlay at the tip of the Forestock? 
What kind of sights are on it?

Joe.

IP Logged

caithness77

Reply #245 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Hi,
Nice piece. Had one very similar to yours, retailed by Banziger of St.Gallans. I very good friend owns it now. He is a collector and old die hard shooter. I just sent him this link because I'm sure he would love to chat to you. Cheers and happy new year to you,
Stu
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Oct 7th, 2011 at 3:04pm:
I'll try posting a couple of my 7.5x55 Hammerelli/martini.  This "swiss stutzen"  appears to date from the 20's maybe very early 30's.  the action and stock are very similar to the ones Springfield bought from Hammerelli and rebarreled in .30-'06 for building "intl. free rifles". I don't know enough about proofs to come up with a closer date.
The top of the breechblock shows some lightly oxidized nickel-plate and the lever some faint traces of the same.  The wood is solid with some wear marking but shows good care.  There is a large "dutchman" plug/patch in the forend that appears to be contemporary with the mfg of the rest of the stock
In what I am told is the standard for Swiss gvmt. spec. Stutzen rifles designed for competition with gvmt. issue mil. match ammo; the rear sight is a finely crafted sliding open rear with built-in elevation and windage.  The front sight is a round-butted front-insert dovetailed plain post--that oddly enough is precisely the same dovetail size and contour and precisely interchangeable with the one on my German 22 rf schuetzen.  I have one of Steve Earle's clamp-on scope base adapter that clamps solidly to the rear sight dovetail "rail" with out leaving a mar.

IP Logged

pacific5
Ex Member

Reply #246 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
My pacific is a 40-63. It's the most accurate rifle i have, and i have some good ones. I shoot it all the time. I'am sure i've put put at least a 800 to a 1000 thru it. Love it. Smiley

IP Logged

pacific5
Ex Member

Reply #247 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
The pacific 5 is also one of my very favorites. The barrel is original the bore is super.There is no buffalo horn insert in the forend, the forend is the only weak part of this rifle. It has a piece of the wood missing on the left side at the front. About 1/4" by 2". I'am hoping to find a take off to put on mine. My front sight is a lyman 20 MJT, the tang sight is a long range soule made by Ron Heilman. I have really enjoyed this forum, i've only been a member for a week or so. I can see there a lot of real single shot NUTS here, myself included. I love all the good info and ideas, seems to be a lot of knowledge among you guys. Happy New Year Smiley

IP Logged

caithness77

Well here is an unusual for you.
Reply #248 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 8:29am
Print Post  
This is a Trantor 'Little Monarch' 300 Rook rifle. I don't shoot her, just there to admire. To hold is an experience in itself, very slim and light. Wonder if you could make a stronger copy, being that these rooks are usually mild steel.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #249 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Another Pacific. This one is a 45/70. 30 inch barrel. 

Ballard tang sight and Winchester windgauge sight. 

Joe.

IP Logged

pacific5
Ex Member

Reply #250 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Ya, Mr. Westerner thats a nice one. I tried to purchase another Ballard wednesday on an auction but the modem for my computer quit, so i missed out. Have a nice day. Smiley

IP Logged

pacific5
Ex Member

Reply #251 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Here is a Brown Ballard i've had for several years. It's a .44 EXL has an excellent bore, the duel ignition was changed over to center fire long ago. When it was changed it was done without any alterations to the rifle. The nipple was removed and replaced with what appears to be the firing pin assembly from an old SXS hammer shot gun was screwed into its place. Shoots like a dream. I'am trying to find a nice #3 Ballard, even a #3 Fine if i can find one not priced out of this world. Any Ballard that's been converted to a .22 would be nice. Smiley

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #252 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
"My pacific is a 40-63. It's the most accurate rifle i have, and i have some good ones. I shoot it all the time. I'am sure i've put put at least a 800 to a 1000 thru it. Love it."

Pacific5, I also have a 40/63 Pacific, it's the one shown under my name, do you have any loads to share?

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

pacific5
Ex Member

Reply #253 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Hello Mr.Frnkeore: I have a load i've been using in both my 4 1/2, and my Pacific. You probably won't think much of it since most of the stuff that i have been reading on the forum has had mostly negative things to say about putting a wad over the powder charge. Most say its a good way to ring a chamber, i have no doubt that it is a possibility, any time your reloading things can happen. So here goes, i use 19 gr. IMR 4227 over a CCI large pistol primer then i cover it up with a .040 thick felt wad on the powder. I use 410 gr. Snover bullet, i seat it out far enough so when i close the breech it imprints the rifling into the bullet. I,ve had very good accuracy. I use the same load and procedure in my 40-65, it's a 4 1/2 Ballard. I also use the wads in my 38-55. I,am not going to say a wad won't ring a chamber, all i know is i have never had the problem. I shoot my rifles on regularly at least 2 weekends a month for years. Please don't think i'am trying to say anyone is wrong, i just haven't had that problem but i'am sure people have for what ever reason. Keep shooting those single shots. Smiley

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #254 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the load, I will try it but w/o the wad as I have rung a barrel using a wad against the barrel in a 30/40 Krag (once bitten, twice shy Smiley )

Thank you,

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21
Send TopicPrint