Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Single Shot Rifle Picture Thread (Read 212253 times)
MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Single Shot Rifle Picture Thread
Reply #225 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Not really - quite a lot of Comblains had external, non-shrouded hammers.

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #226 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Interesting, I have never seen one with a hammer.
The only ones I have seen have been in very rough shape and not nearly as nice as this refurbished example.

IP Logged

Jonathan Kirton
Ex Member

Reply #227 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 6:53am
Print Post  
Re your Comblain rifle, was the action originally from a military rifle or from a sporting or target/match rifle?

The action may to have come from a military rifle, probably from a Comblain Modele 1882 originally built for the Belgian Garde Civique (Militia) units, which is the most common form of this particular style of action. The Comblain Syndicate Serial Number below the "COMBLAIN  BREVETE" stamping on the right side of the action may confirm this, although this action form was also used in a few sporting  and target rifles produced by the Syndicate.
The presence of a second "Batch Serial Number" will usually indicate a military rifle production run, while individually produced sporting or target rifles usually carry no Batch Serial Number.
Providing the serial number(s) would help in identifying the source of the action.  Jonathan Kirton, Canada

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #228 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Yes, I'm sure that one began life as a Garde Civique just like its little brother here, now in .45-70. The barrel on this one is what remains when you start with a 577-450 Martini-Henry carbine barrel and take just enough off to clear the chamber for .45-70. With a 500 grain bullet and a case full of Swiss this one will get your attention when you pull the trigger. I haven't seen a Brazilian model with the shrouded hammer in person but I have seen a brass framed Comblain in France. Lest anyone bemoan altering an original, this one was lacking a barrel when I got it.

IP Logged

Jonathan Kirton
Ex Member

Reply #229 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Comblain Modele 1870 for the Belgian Garde Civique with phosphorous bronze action. This particular rifle was one of the annual "Prix du Gouvernement" prize rifles which were awarded to the high scoring member of the Garde while this rifle type was in service between 1870 and 1882. The bronze was sculpted in a style known as "rocaille", and all the bronze parts were then gilded. This particular rifle, Comblain Syndicate Serial Number 9926 B was completed during 1871.
Total production of rifles using this Comblain patent action was around 138,000, the majority being military rifles.
Jonathan Kirton, Canada

IP Logged

Jonathan Kirton
Ex Member

Reply #230 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Photo !

IP Logged

Jonathan Kirton
Ex Member

Reply #231 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Photo 2

IP Logged

Jonathan Kirton
Ex Member

Reply #232 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Photo 3

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #233 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Was a rifle like this just a trophy?  Or did someone actually shoot it, perhaps in the next year's competition?  I should not think that a member of the Civil Guard would take it along on a drill or exercise.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #234 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Wow!

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #235 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Thank you very much, Jonathan. I've never seen such a embellished rifle.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #236 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Jonathan,
The Syndicate Serial Numbers are 105238 and 95106 respectively. I notice that the serial numbers on the left side of the action are accompanied by 2 marks. One of the marks is the same on both but the other is different. Do you know if one of these is the maker's mark? I understand that different manufacturers in Liege made these. By the way, did you get my private message? I don't know if I sent it correctly.

IP Logged

Jonathan Kirton
Ex Member

Re: Single Shot Rifle Picture Thread - Comblain Rifles
Reply #237 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 11:26am
Print Post  
To: oneatatime,
Thanks for the SSN & Batch Number - which confirm that the action came from a Belgian made Garde Civique Modele 1882 rifle. These were well made and strong actions, most of which were produced by Auguste Francotte of Liege.
You can find my study on the Comblain rifles which was published in the late, lamented "The Gun Report", issues:-
Vol. 50, No. 5 of October,    2004.
           No. 6 of November, 2004.
           No. 7 of December, 2004.
           No. 9 of February,   2005.
Used copies can probably be found on the internet.
Earlier versions of these articles were also published in the UK in
"The Journal of the Historical Breechloading Smallarms Association",      
back issues of which are available, and can be ordered on the HBSA website.

IP Logged

Jonathan Kirton
Ex Member

Reply #238 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Comblain SSN 9926 B "Prix du Gouvernement" rifle, illustrated above:-
While this rifle is still in excellent, original condition, and has been generally well looked after for the last 140 years, there can be little doubt that it has seen a considerable amount of use on the range !
The phosphorous bronze is quite strong, and evidently adequate for use in a black powder rifle, however, it is a bit ductile, and the face of the bronze breechblock on this rifle shows a distinct depression caused by the expanding / recoiling bases of what one guesses must have been a great many cartridge cases fired in this rifle !   J. G. K.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #239 - Nov 5th, 2011 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Another action which, like the Comblain, is operated by inserting the thumb and pulling down is the Heeren. Only the Heeren pulls back instead of forward. This one is from the 1880's and is in 6.5x58R Sauer. A modern version of these actions is still being custom made in Europe. 
The shot with the scale shows how compact they are. That's a double set trigger, sort of. It's actually an extension of the hammer which cocks on opening but if pressed forward sets the front trigger.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2011 at 1:29am by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21
Send TopicPrint