Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Simpson Ltd Rolling Blocks (Read 3344 times)
Ziggy

Simpson Ltd Rolling Blocks
Sep 8th, 2009 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Any one ever purchase a roller from Simpson Ltd. If so was it as advertised?

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Re: Simpson Ltd Rolling Blocks
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Ziggy, bought one about two years ago. Is chambered for the 8x58 rimmed danish cartridge. As far as I could tell the condition quoted was the same as I received it. This is the one that was reheat treated, new block and hammer. The forend was cut down. As yet to have shoot it. Hope this helps. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

Dutchman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Simpson's doesn't want to take the time to learn enough about Swedish rolling blocks to make accurate descriptions of them for potential buyers. The mistakes they make may seem small and picky but they indicate their lack of knowledge on the subject.

For a wee little example....

Many of their listings will say "finished turned brown"..  Some would say "patina". The fact of the matter is m/1867 Swedish rolling block barrels were BROWNED when they were manufactured. They didn't turn brown with age. To a serious collector that's not a minor detail. Its a huge mistake.

I've gone through their listings a few times and made notes of the mistakes intending on informing them but I didn't. I've been through this before with Simpson's in regard to a m/1894 Mauser carbine they had for sale that was not a real carbine but built from parts using a m/96 rifle receiver. As the carbines have unique serial numbers it wasn't hard to place the receiver in a rifle in the year marked on the receiver ring. Simpson's had this fake priced at $1,800.  On having some email with them on the matter they admitted it probably wasn't a genuine carbine and lowered the price to $1,200. 

They don't get high marks from me for integrity.

Dutchman
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Swedish Mausers & rolling blocks

IP Logged

powderhead

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
I've been to Simpsons many times.  There are about 7 or 8 people working there.  One person just photos guns, another writes descriptions and posts it on their web site.  Those folks are probably not that up on gun jargon as you would expect them to be.  I believe there are two brothers who own Simpons.  I also believe they are so wealthy that they don't care what you or I think about their descriptions.  They seem a little arrogant when you first get to know them, and some believe they truly are.  I have found more than a few guns on their floor misidentified.  I have pointed these things out to them.  They don't care.
However, It's a great gun store.  I just hold my nose and enjoy my visit every time.  If you ever go there, what you see out front is only about 10 or 20 percent of what they have in the back rooms.  It's just amazing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint