Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 25-20 Winchester (Read 7359 times)
Rich_Siegel

25-20 Winchester
Jan 2nd, 2009 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Reading though the recent issue of Black Powder Cartridge News,  I see that Steve Garbe won a 100 shot Schuetzen match using a 25-20.  While I realize he is a VERY good rifle shot, do many other people use that cartridge to shoot 200 yard Schuetzen?

How does the little 25 caliber stack up against the 30-30, the 32-40 and the 38-55.  I would suspect wind might play a large part in the out come of a match.

What about other less powerful rounds like the 38-40 and the 44-40?

Any thoughts?

Rich

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Re: 25-20 Winchester
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Rich,

The .25/20 WCF should be a good cartridge for 200 yd. Schuetzen shooting. It pretty well duplicates the .25/20SS in ballistics as it was Win.'s answer to the SS for the 1892 lever gun. Many clubs and EG have regular matches just for the .25 cal.'s.

Accuracy-wise it should shoot as well as any of the bigger Schuetzen calibers..... IF you have calm conditions, or are one heck of a good wind and mirage reader.

The big advantage of the WCF is the easily availability and price of cases. Good SS cases go for around $1.50 apiece if I recall right. I make my own.

I'm not aware of anyone in our club that uses the WCF but several of us use the SS. Some even shoot nothing but!

As for the .38/40 or .44/40 I'd forget about them if you want to shoot in the matches. They are strictly short range pistol cartridges with some lever guns chambered for them. Even if you set a gun up specifically to shoot Schuetzen I'd make a guess that you won't get the kind of accuracy you need.

If you want a nice pleasant/cheap caliber to shoot you can't go wrong with a .25/20 WCF.

PETE

IP Logged

Rich_Siegel

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info Pete.  Only reason I asked about the 38/40 and 44/40 is that I have seen original Stevens 44s set up in those calibers and was just wondering if they were good for anything besides hunting.  Then again, a gun shop here in Maine has an original Highwall in 38 long.  Not much use for that either I suppose.

Rich

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
If the price is even remotely right, grab the High Wall in .38 Long.  Run, don't walk.  You can always resell it to someone who is or WAS  Cry a participant in this Forum.  But before you sell it for a tidy profit, you have an opportunity to try the frustrating sport of getting an old rifle in an odd caliber banging away again.  Keep us posted.

waterman

IP Logged

Rich_Siegel

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Waterman,

An interesting idea.  I'm not up on Highwall prices though.  This gun is in the $1500 range.  I'll need to go back and take a closer look at the condition.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Rich

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 7:22am
Print Post  
rish,
I have a wall with an eldon montgomery barrel in 25-20 wcf. and it shoots extremely well.
he barreledit and made the mold. i have seen one other low wall with one of his barrels shoot consistant 248's at 200 at brady. yes they are good shooters, and are very competitive with lead slugs.
cheers
irish

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Sirs
If you were a new shooter and had a choice between a 25-20ss or the 25-20 winchester which would you shoot??? What would be a bullet weight for each caliber or do they shoot the same bullet??? Tommy

tommyauger

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Tommy,
I would shoot the 25-20 SS for several reasons . The first is for the cool factor having an odd caliber rifle. The second is that they have a reputation as good shooters. third is because of the nostalgia. I enjoy trying to shoot the single shots like they existed in the old days. .25 Match shooters mostly used.25-20 SS back then. After all my main interest is in the lore of the old single shot rifles.

The brass availablility thing is somewhat overstated. Yes, .25-20 SS brass is about $1.50 each but when you breech seat how many do you actualy need? a half dozen will last for a couple years.

As far as bullets and twist. I like 100 grain bullets and 12 inch twist. This was popular among match shooting with .25's. Pope used somewhat faster twist and I have heard where sometimes heavier bullets were used
in his rifles.

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Quarter-Bore
Thank you for the information I am thinking I would like the 25-20ss just for the reasons you stated. As far as barrel lenght what were the lenght of the barrel? would you get a round or octagon? I think the octagon would look great but would it be correct???  Do you have any feelings to one maker over the other? The reason I am asking is because I would really like to have the best but being new to the sport I just dont know whats out there. Let me end by saying thank you for any help you could give.  Thank you Tommy

tommyauger

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Tommy, 
Barrel lengths varied according to taste from 26" to 30" generally. Although I have seen longer barrels, you seldom encounter barrels shorter then 26". Although this may have been caused by need for length to burn black powder and for balance of the rifle, even to this day single shots with shorter barrels look better with barrels 26" or longer. Barrels are often in lighter weights in .25 also, though they still need some weight if going to be used for match shooting. As far as whether ocatagon or round, again that is a matter of taste. Very nice looking rifles can be made up in either style. I personally like octagon or 1/2 octagon. I have no idea why. Maybe because they were the standard configuration durring "the period".
I am not sure whether you mean barrel maker or action maker? There are many good barrel makers. Who did you have in mind? As far as actions I always suggest original Stevens 44 1/2's because they are relatively inexpensive and have many features that suit them to Schuetzen. This is not critical and most any of the standard old single shots will handle .25-20SS.
If you are a beginner and really want a "feel" for single shot rifles I recommend that you get and read "Major Ned H. Roberts and The Schuetzen Rifle" by Gerald O. Kelver. Some of the facts of this book can be argued but the feel of the information is unbeatable. It is available on E-bay.

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #10 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Quarter-bore
Thanks Again I will look into GreenMt barrel or Douglas maybe one of those barrel maker will do?? I think a 30 inch octagon would look outstanding. Thanks TOMMY

tommyauger

IP Logged

sluggunner
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Rich,
P.M. sent.
               Rich Hicks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1