Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Scope Building Questions (Read 2782 times)
nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Scope Building Questions
Dec 16th, 2008 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Hi all, I am considering attempting to build a 3/4" scope. I would like to use 17mm front and real lens's like on the Leatherwood scopes. I have read several times the post on scope design. I would like to make the scope somewhere in the length range of 23". Before I start I do have a couple of questions I would like to toss out to the collective knowledge on this site.
First, has anyone else attempted this project and how did it go for you?
Second, since I would like to thread on both the front and rear lens's, does anyone out there know what the thread pitch is that they used on Unertl scopes? I figured that asking would be a lot easier than taking apart a scope just to measure the thread pitch.
Thanks all
Sam

IP Logged

sluggunner
Ex Member

Re: Scope Building Questions
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 11:14am
Print Post  
I've built several but not as short as 23". You'll have to play with focal lengths to make it turn out right. Don't know what Unertl used but I have always used 48 TPI.
                                                         Rich

IP Logged

wildbill
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
I have had no experience building scopes, however, Rich Hicks has an excellent article on building a full length scope, published in Issue #62 summer edition of The Black Powder Cartridge News. Rich details what he did as far as machining, and also sources for lenses.

IP Logged

dead_eye
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
if you look in general discusion page 10 on scope design.  this should help you.

IP Logged

e15cap
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
56 TPI

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
I read somewhere of 40 tpi, but it was not on an unertl. I know my winchester 8X and my Lyman 438 are not the same. 

If you use a two lens achromatic erector set in the middle, you cut the focal length in half. Example; if you use two 120mm fl lenses facing each other, you get 60mm focal length, or there abouts when considering lens thickness, etc. This may help "shorten" your scope. ( flat parts facing out and curved parts facing each other)

If you move the erectors a slight bit closer to the objective you can slightly boost magnification.

Some of this is experience, some is read knowledge. So, buyer beware.

I have a large, unmarked scope end or booster I am trying to make into a complete scope. I have tried the three lens theory and decided to try the five lens. It seems to give more flexibility to "adjust" the overall length amongst other things.

I have done many web searches about building terestrial telescopes and found an abundance of info that way. Well worth the effort.

Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint