Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Schuetzen rifle (Read 3252 times)
acelungger
Ex Member

Schuetzen rifle
Dec 15th, 2008 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
i posted this the other day, but I don't think I worded it right?
What I was trying to ask is, why is the Butt stock on a Schuetzen Rifle angle down ward? I under stand the purpose of the High cheek rest for eas of sighting, but the angling downward would have to cause more felt recoil In my thinking? but hopefully someone will jump in here and explain the pricnable of the Schuetzen stock.
Thanks ACE

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Schuetzen rifle
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
If you stand in front of a full-length mirror and assume the position, offhand shooting position that is, you will notice your cheek is higher than your shoulder. Therefore, the cheek piece is high for sighting and the stock slopes down to meet your shoulder or crook of your arm. Schuetzens in 25, 28, 32 and 38 calibers generally have mild recoil so the felt recoil is not uncomfortable. If you compare a 19th century schuetzen with a modern Anschutz style small bore rifle stock, set up for offhand shooting, you will notice a similar placement of cheek piece and butt plate positions.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

acelungger
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks crash Landing, 
I can't believe that some one had to explained it to me, but it all makes since, first rule of shooting skeet, keep your head on the stock threw your follow threw!
Thanks 
ACE

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
In any position you want to keep from tilting your head side ways. Equalibrium, tilting forward is OK but side to side your balance gets affected. More up right your head in your stance the more stable you should be.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
So then what are the 'scheutzen' arm positions?

With an M14 (much straighter stock, but with (add on) cheak piece the right arm is horizontal (raising the shoulder) and left arm aligned and parallel with the bore being under it supporting the rifle under the magazine (close to the chest).  Also one bends a bit back to put placement of the weight of the rifle more directly above the feet.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
The raised shoulder forms a pocket to help aid with recoil. In small bore you leave the arm lower (and relaxed) no recoil. Smallbore and schuetzen hooks you need to be sure that the hook is not pressing on your side or the arm is such a way as to cause unwanted influence. arm can be elevated or not to help achieve this.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint