Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Tell me about action finishes (Read 12468 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Tell me about action finishes
Dec 10th, 2008 at 9:08am
Print Post  
This for my Low wall rim fire project.  Frame is in good shape smooth no pits.  If I don't go for engraving want Color Case. If I do get it engraved want a matt nickel or french grey appearance.   Blue is not under consideration except for the barrel.  Will leave the Hammer trigger and block with existing finish, look good with nice patina as is.  Lever will be color case.

Who does this sort of work and what are the pro's and con's All comments appreciated

Boats

IP Logged

Rooster
Ex Member

Re: Tell me about action finishes
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 9:41am
Print Post  
I'd go with Turnbull for case colors.

IP Logged

Mike_Hunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Well, I do that sort of work.

Engraving really doesn’t show up well on CCH parts, unless they are gold inlayed. 

Instead of matt nickel think about an antique sliver wash, it really makes the engraving stand out. 

Price wise; Silver Wash or CCH probably about the same, engraving. Let your pocket book be the deciding factor.

And yes Doug Turnbull does a great job on CCH, don’t think I’ve ever seen a problem with his work,  (just so it doesn’t look like I’m here just to sell my services)

Mike Hunter
Hunter Restorations
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Mike Hunter

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Boats 
Look into metalife if the action is pollished it will come out somewhere between old nickle ans stainless steel. It really shows off engraveing.

40 Rod

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Mike agree CCH and engraving don't go well.  Both of my CPA's are Color case and never got any engraving, would have had to polish the case off and start all over again. Plus mine are working target rifles not high grade presentation anyway.

However this low wall is start from Scratch.  Thinking I should go with something that suits engraving even if not getting it done as part of the rifles build.  Or even getting the engraving done pay as I go, borders first then motif on the panels later. Am going to talk to Ken Hurst about that point.

I know a bit about Satin Nickle and how it stands up, Have a Colt 1911 thats Satin and it's a very durable finish. Very matt though which is probably a function of how much it was blasted first.  This pistols finish would not particulary suit engraving. I guess you could blast less and the finish would be finer but still satin not gloss.

What's silver wash ?  and of the two finishes which would be fairly authentic to a late 1880's production Low Wall

Boats

Boats

IP Logged

Mike_Hunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Boats

Both types of plating were available during the 1880s.   

Nickel plating is a bit more durable. 

Silver wash is a little less shiny than nickel, it also tarnishes which can give you some neat effects.  Tarnish the sliver in the engraving (silver tarnishes to a grey almost black color), then polish the high spots; really makes the engraving stand out.   

You can get somewhat the same effect with nickel; have it engraved, bead blast or acid etch the metal, then polish the high spots before plating.

Have the hammer, lever & breech block CCH, screws/ pins fire blued or engraved then plated...really makes it stand out.

Mike Hunter
Hunter Restorations

Mike Hunter

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Go over to the other forum and pose the question to SDH in reference to the photos of his engraved low wall over there which is about as nice as I've seen.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Hey Boats, go back and look at Dale McGee's "Frogmoor" Ballard with engraving by Ken Hurst and Metal Life finish.  He then "filled" the engraving with a special ink/paint substance recommended (IIRC) by Ken and got a look that was classic and durable beyond belief.  When you talk to Ken about the engraving, see whether he still likes this approach or has found something he likes better, since he knows what works with his engraving.  While you are at it, see if you can talk him into coming up and visiting us at the June CSV shoot... I'm already working on him.

Froggie

IP Logged

Rooster
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'd go with Turnbull for case colors.

This is typical Turnbull work.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Froggy,  know were the link to Dale's Frogmoor Ballard is ? remember it but can't get it to come up.

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
It was in the Journal a few years ago... maybe even a cover shot.  If you can't find that, maybe we can prevail upon Dale to post a couple of shots.

Froggie

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
What is wrong with case color? Here is an engraving by Ken Hurst with case color by Classic Guns. It don't look too to bad to me?

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Depending on the polish, the Metalife goes from bright chrome to a dull satin. I had a Ruger #1 engraved by Mr Hurst (EXCELLENT work) and Metalife plated. I polished the metal to 320 grit. The benifits of the Metalife is it goes on thin so fits are not affected, high surface hardness (60+ Rc IIRC) and corrosion resistance (better than stainless steel). The engraving was then highlighted by rubbing black acrylic oil paint into the scratching and gently wiped off the excess. That was several years ago and it still looks great even after monthly use.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #13 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
More Rollers please. I love old Rollers. Dont stop now.   Roll Eyes

Joe.    Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Flatlander that's a beautiful Roller that's for sure.  You have chosen a nice pattern too.  I think it may be the pattern controls the finish. I have a motif in mind with some illustrations that would need a contrasting background to stand out.

Not going to tell  you guys what it is though

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint