Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Re: Al Story's borschardt Rifles (Read 11473 times)
harry_eales
Ex Member

Re: Al Story's borschardt Rifles
Nov 30th, 2008 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Rafter3c,
Many thanks for those pictures, they're much appreciated. Like myself Al Story had a dream of producing good copies of Sharps 1878 Borchardt Rifles. 

I envy him, I have to make mine on a  7 x 12 lathe and an X2 mini Mill. I've been working on mine for the best part of two years, but then I only have the use of my right hand during the summer months due to Arthritis. Never the less, I hope to have my action and stock finished by the end of next year. I'm going to buy a barrel, an old engineer I may be, but I do have my limitations, both in engineering experience and having the cash to buying Gun barrel drilling and Rifling Machines. 

I'm too old now to consider going into mass production, being over my mid 60's, I'll be happy to make just one for my own use and get it shooting. Hell, at my age I don't even buy green bananas.

Harry

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Al Story's  Borschardt Rifles
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Rafter3c, thanks for reminding me of Al and his great work.  I had the pleasure of spending a weekend at the NRA meetings with Al the year he donated one of his rifles to ASSRA for the Single Shot Classic.  That rifle was an absolute joy to see and hold, and the "standard" model he sent me to review was just as sweet if not as fancy.  That .45-70 was very difficult for me to send back after the article was written!  Cry  Al is one of the good guys and his work is absolutely top drawer.

Charlie Shaeff
Green Frog

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 10:47am
Print Post  

Does Al have a business agent ?   Some one to suppliment Al's technical knowledge and experience so that some of his products can be brought to the market place and generate cash flow.

Perhaps Al doesn't need to money or the head aches.

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
I have been hearing of Al Story and his action castings for many years but had not seen either him or any samples of his work. Now I have pictures of both. No wonder he keeps a low profile. From the appearance at least he has a quality product. Cannot believe he would put that much effort into the outside without doing the same inside. Now I have another want item on my list. An Al Story Borchardt. Thanks for the post. Regards, FITZ. Smiley Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
He's diversified a bit with several products in the Brownells catalog/website.  Look under "Borchardt" in the search block.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
FITZ wrote on Dec 1st, 2008 at 12:59pm:
I have been hearing of Al Story and his action castings for many years but had not seen either him or any samples of his work. Now I have pictures of both. No wonder he keeps a low profile. From the appearance at least he has a quality product. Cannot believe he would put that much effort into the outside without doing the same inside. Now I have another want item on my list. An Al Story Borchardt. Thanks for the post. Regards, FITZ. Smiley Smiley

Hello FITZ,

I think you have got the 'Handles' mixed up. (your by no means the only one to get confused, been there, done that myself. lol).   

Al Story of the Borchardt Rifle Co. Silver City, N.M. is not the same person as Rodney Storie, who manufactures a number of single shot rifle action kits, made from castings, which are marketed by Wes Stanley, under the Trade Name of Frontier Arms.

To the best of my knowledge, Al Story machines all his parts from metal bars, no castings being involved. I know a lot of his machining work is done using CNC machines, I have nothing against that, I wish I knew more about CNC work, (I'm an old fashioned milling machine handle cranker myself, that's the way I was trained, oh, so many years ago).

From what I have seen in pictures of Al Story's (machined from solid steel stock) rifles, they are very faithfull to the original Sharps 1878 design.

A look at the pictures of Rodney Storie's 'Sharps Borchardt' casting kit and the supposedly 'finished action' (on the Frontier Arms web page) 

See:- (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

reveals a number of 'errors' that would not help the first time 'home build gunsmith enthusiast' one little bit. Having some 80% of a home made Borchardt Action completed by myself from plans (that were not particularly accurate to start off with). I know a little of what I am talking about. See:- (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Harry

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
FITZ, I would confirm that Ken is correct, I am 99.9% confident that Al uses no castings in his rifles... if you look at the picture of the actions before machining, you will see that they are solid blocks that have been profiled, I believe.   If I were going to put down the shekels to buy a modern repro, I would be much more likely to go for one of these cut from a solid block, even though I know I couldn't blow up my "cast action" Ruger #1!   Cheesy  Maybe that's why I haven't bought a new repro lately... I've got champagne taste and a Budweiser pocketbook.  Undecided

Froggie

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Al is one top shelf guy, and one heck of a gunsmith.

Bar none.

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
OK guy's. You are correct, I had mixed up the two. I being a Machinist myself and working in a dept full of cnc machining center machines should have seen the difference. But what went thru my mind was he must have cast them quite large and left material every where to guarantee he would clean all surfaces up. We do it that way with some really fussy implant parts from chrome cobalt a really tough and high hardness material that we investment cast. Never the less I still want a  Al Story Borchardt. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Regards, FITZ. Smiley Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

acelungger
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Before everyone starts hammering on me. Those are awesome!!
Is Al Story and Rodney Story related?
Thanks 
ACE

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
No, they spell their names totally differently (Storey vs Storie IIRC.)  I've never met Rodney in person (though we have talked on the phone) but I did get the chance to spend quality time with Al (as previously noted.)  I'm sure that since their names sound alike and they are both involved in the gun trade, they are victims of a lot of similar misidentification.

Charlie Shaeff (not SChaeff nor ShaffER, etc)
aka Green Frog (not Greene Frogue, etc.)  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

acelungger
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Froggie, I am sure you are right!! I didn't  look at the spelling!! I am just so amazed at all the talent there is out there  that build custom rifles! i guess the reason i didn't get that talent, is that I would have to live in a shop with the machines, because i would spend all my time and money making guns for my self!! and maybe if I would of been talented I wouldn't have blown out my back!There are so many of the old Falling block actions, and I love them all!
thanks for clearing that up!!
ACE

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 11:24am
Print Post  

Hi Ken:

Please do not think for a minute that I was attempting to pry into either Al's or your business ... as that was not my intention nor desire.

Along with my background in historical breech loading American and European long guns, I have studied the lives of their designers/ inventors and the business entities that produced them for the market place.  Men like Joshua Stevens and Arthur W. Savage pimarily, but Colt, Browning, Winchester, et al., were all absolute mechanical wizards when it came to mechanical designs.  However, each of them had the assistance and guidance of professional business people, whether in the areas of finance, legal, marketing, accounting, production, etc. in order to bring their arms to the market place in a timely and profitable manner.

I am able to see the definite quality of Al's product from your photos, but was just wondering about the overall potential of Al's endeavor.  For me, people with such a vast talent do not go un-noticed.

Thanks Ken for the pleasure of seeing your friend's fine work.

Webb

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 12:46pm
Print Post  

Ken

Glad we're still pals !   That was a wonderful bull Elk from New Mexico.  I usually hunt the four corners in Colorado ... in the San Juan National Forest.   Maybe the N.M. and Arz. pressures will move some of those big boys up to us.

Webb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint