Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lyman tube sight (Read 4263 times)
shoothog
Participating Member

Lyman tube sight
Nov 22nd, 2008 at 8:34am
Print Post  
I have recently purchased a Lyman Poloraoid tube sight from an Ebay auction. I have never seen one before this one came up for sale. I have only seen Unertl and the short Freelands. Does anyone here have any information about them? Someone asked the seller if it had the polorizing lenses and he said no. Whas this one of the advantages of the sight? Stroebels books do not make any reference to this sight in the old scopes or old sights books.

Trying to do some research online was not much help either. I did find a couple of reproduced catalogues that have them listed. They are apparently not very common.

Any additional info would be apprecitated.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lyman tube sight
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
I wish I could help. I was watching this on Ebay and thought about bidding on it. It looked intresting and unusual, just what I like. Glad somone here got it. Curious to see what you find out about it.

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lyman tube sight
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
I have one of the Lyman Tube sights. I have only seen 3 of these sights. I have never found the filters intact nor a front insert. The only source for information has been reproduction or original Lyman cataloges.  It came with a polaroid filter in front of the rear eye piece ( aperture) and a polaroid  insert for a Lyman 77 front sight. ( It would also fit a  Lyman 17a front sight..)  The filter in the sight could be rotated by loosing the screw on the tube. As you rotated it, the contrast would be increased by lining the polaroid dots in the front and rear  filter up. Today Gehmann makes an adjustible rear aperture (diopter) and  filters for a Anschutz front sight that works the same way. I have been playing with some camera polaroid filters which I cut to fit the diameter of the tube sight and the Lyman front. 
Kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint