Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) shipping a gun?? (Read 3701 times)
xxgrampa
Ex Member

shipping a gun??
Nov 17th, 2008 at 5:25am
Print Post  
greetings all,

just got back from the post office. shipped a rifle in a cheap plastic hard case and a cardboard box.. 

got the shock of my life. them rascals charged me $33.58 to ship it priority mail. the last one i shipped to gary quinilon was only 17.00 something..  and it wasn't that long ago. or maybe it was. my memory is mostly conviniant now. Sad.

so.... my question is, how do you guys ship rifles and how much does it cost???

tia and ..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Re: shipping a gun??
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 7:11am
Print Post  
We all have concern over shipping rates.

I try to look at it as higher rates pay more qualified workers, that might have more care. not always but I hope so.

And how much would it cost me to deliver it personally.

Once you figure time, wear and tear on your vehicle, fuel costs, having to be on the road with a bunch of...ahh.....idiots, the shipping don't seem so bad.

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 7:41am
Print Post  
gents,
last year a long time friend in connecticut shipped a 1903 m22 to me here in so tex. the gunstore in southport ct ended up charging her over $100 for the priveledge, as they had to charge her transfer of ownership fees and lord knows what else!
this particular gunstore has been around for a long time and when asked by me about it they told me thats just the law in ct.
I call them thieves.
irish

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 7:56am
Print Post  
My Local shop has been charging 35 bucks to ship via US Mail.  He told me last time price was going to go up due to increased cost.  Also noted Cherry's was increasing his standard 35 dollar charge.  If you go UPS or Fed Ex  pack yourself and deal direct with them it's nearly 75 dollars.

If your shop is charging 100 it must be for Fed Ex Shipping.  I go  US Mail every time, problems are random and as likely to happen with one as the other.

Boats

IP Logged

moshannon

Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Just shipped two this past week. Both priority mail in a hard case, weights were 18 lbs and 21 lbs. Shipping was right around $34 each, at least before you add the insurance. I think it is still less expensive than UPS and FEDEX, and probably a lot safer. Gets to the destination in two days for 90% of the US.

Mike

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 10:32am
Print Post  
What should not be forgotten is that USPS has a max insurance rate of $5m which is usually not an issue but claims will drag on lots longer than UPS. If anbody has a favorable claim experience could you share it?

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

moshannon

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
You can send Registered Priority with insurance up to $25k. It will cost you a little more, but all edges have to be wrapped, by the PO, in the top secret proprietory brown tape and stamped with the date stamp at the PO. This may take a little time, so be sure to go at slow time and hopefully the attendent will be in a good mood.

Mike
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2008 at 1:47pm by moshannon »  

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
I sent a priority package 10 days ago. Max coverage allowed $5000.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

zampilot
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Over the past 6 years or so I've shipped maybe 50 rifles through the USPS, all Priority Mail, never had a problem. Prices have went up from about $16-$17 to about $30 (insured). I like PM because it's only in the system for 3 days or so, that's important to me and the buyer!
Never had a "lost" or "broken, shipping or receiveing.

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 1:13am
Print Post  
thank you all,

guess i'm gonna have to suck it up and pays the money..  Cry Cry

that 16-17 is what i remember. in the recent past the wife always went to the post office. she nevers tells me the cost and i didn't ask. if i knew, woulda raised the price on the guns. Wink

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Mike,
You said, "You can send Registered Priority with insurance up to $25k. It will cost you a little more, but all edges have to be wrapped, by the PO, in the top secret proprietory brown tape and stamped with the date stamp at the PO. This may take a little time, so be sure to go at slow time and hopefully the attendent will be in a good mood."
=================
Most of what you mentioned is true, but you can box up and tape your own packages.  I've shipped at least 100 firearms using USPS Registered Mail.  That "top secret proprietory brown tape " with water activated glue is available from office supply stores in large rolls at around $10/roll.  Office Depot and Office Max always has it in stock in my area.  My son is a Business Mgr. at a precious metal supplier.  They only ship via USPS Registered Mail and also do their own packaging and taping.

By the way, I've used both FedEx and UPS to ship rifles and have had several damaged.  I've never had a problems with USPS Registered Priority Mail but have had firearms damaged with USPS regular Priority Mail.  With damaged firearms claims, I have found FedEx easiest to work with, UPS terrible and USPS the worst of all.

USPS Registered Mail is a Priority Mail option.  I find it is actually cheaper than regular USPS Priority Mail with Insurance because the insurance is cheaper with Registered Mail.  What i really like is the knowledge that every person that handles Registered mail has to sign off on it, which just about insures the package gets kids glove care.  

I believe someone mentioned that FedEx and UPS is more expensive than USPS, which is not the case.  I can ship most any rifle for $25 or less (insured) with FedEx or UPS.  USPS, either regular Priority or Registered, is more, which is why I generally charge $45 to ship a rifle.  But the rifles I sell are in the $1500 to $2000 range and the insurance adds a bunch to the shipping costs.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint