Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Caretaker Status (Read 12497 times)
SPG
Ex Member

Re: Caretaker Status
Reply #30 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Flat,

That rifle looks very familiar...I think I may have owned it. Who did you get it from?

Joe,

I'm not so sure that I can go along with old forged Ballards being stronger than the new ones made from 8620...it is more critical about what the block and internals (link, lever pin, link pins) are made from. When I was at Ballard these were done from 8620 which is some pretty tough stuff. And...there are forged Marlin/Ballards and then there are forged Marlin/Ballards...the early guns are generally inferior in quality than the late production. And please note that cast-frame Ballards are not being included in this discussion. They make good .22's...period.

Gute Ziele,

Steve

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #31 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Flatlander, 
allright , put your billfold back in yer pocket. Put the mother of pearl away. Thats too nice a little lowall to tear apart.  Dont do a thing to it.  Shoot it ,and if you must build a fancy lowall get a an old crapper junker. Geeez !!!     Cheesy

Steve,  are you saying I shouldnt shoot my 25/20SS super rat rifle? Its cast iron.   Roll Eyes

Ive got another 25/20SS project going using a Smith barrel and one of your machined frames.  I wont be loading it any hotter than I do the cast action. Which makes me wonder why nobody ever used a larger lever screw on the Ballards ?

Heres the buttsock for the new .25 project.  Fancy wood!  Oooooh!!!!
This piece came out of a tree I cut down in 1976. I had to slap Chucks hand several times over this piece.  Grin

Joe

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
SPG:

The rifle came out of a neet gun shop in the middle of Boulder, Colorado about a year and half ago. I figure any gun shop in the middle of "Liberalism" needs my support-just to piss them Lefties off if nothing else. It came with a damaged Wollinsack scope (brass-no paint left) when purchaced. Sound like yours?

Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

SPG
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Flat,

I sold the rifle to a guy at the Raton matches two years ago...it sure looks like the same rifle. If it is...it was a good shooter. I used it as a small game rifle for about four years. Bought it from a feller from Indiana who was at the Denver gunshow. When I sold it it had a Lyman tang sight and a Beech front site.

Nice little rifle...I won a bench match with it at one of our Cody monthly matches and shot a bunch of prairie dogs with it.

Too nice to tear apart, I'm thinking...

Steve

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #34 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Boats: 
     Yes, the wood and hardware is all correct and origional. The only replacement is the barrel.

SPG:
     It looks like it is indeed a small world. Yes, it is a better shooter than I am. Are you planning a road trip to the Denver show again this year? I have stopped by your table the last two years but things were quiet-you must have been out looking for another deal? I would like to stop by and say howdy.
      You convinced me-I am going to look for an origional Lyman or Kings tang sight and then just leave her alone and enjoy her for what she is.

Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

SPG
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Flat,

I plan on being at Denver this year at the SPG/Wyoming Armory table. Stop by...and I'm glad you're going to leave the old Low-Wall alone.

Steve

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #36 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks Steve. We will see you in May.

Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner