Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Caretaker Status (Read 12521 times)
KAF
Ex Member

Re: Caretaker Status
Reply #15 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 8:41am
Print Post  
"And then there is Chuck Blenders Miller"

That reminded me of the first time I saw Blenders rifle on the line.

It was between relays, sitting on the bench in the rests, action opened and cleared.

I saw a pipe nipple hanging off the end of the barrel, and what looked like scrap wood stuck on the butt end of the action, all chopped up and bondo, no finish, Just a pitiful thing.
I thought it was a joke or somebody was going for a prize I wasn't aware of, Ugliest rifle at the match.

I didn't even think it was for shooting, just show, but I watched when the relay started and he started shooting it. OK must be part of the joke.

I looked at his backer thru the scope and ALL his targets were match targets, for score....... 

And they were damned good targets.

So I asked guys I knew well that were at the shoot, they told me  Yes that is his real rifle.

Talking to chuck later that evening he said he would fit the stock to his cheek, shoulder etc using a hatchet and when he got the stock to where it was just right he'd use it as a pattern to make a nice butt.

Years later it was the same stock.....guess it is still a work in progress.

I think he shot like a 2200 or 2300 or somewhere in that area with it that weekend.

Marty Stenback has a butt that has like 24 different pieces of wood glued to his rifle for the same reason, he shoots real well too. No plumbing though.

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Boats,

No offense taken, and hope you didn't take any.

My rifle is strictly stock except for that sling swivel and the liner. So with my gun and two or three others I've sen, I've always thought CC was a decent gunsmith. But, I suppose back then, like now, the customer is boss and they'll do whatever the "boss" wants even if it goes against the grain.

PETE

IP Logged

SPG
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

One of the hardest things I've ever done was boxing up a nice Ballard to ship to Chuck Blender. I felt like I was leading a lamb to slaughter. When the rifle saw the name on the box it kept trying to crawl out.

Chuck's targets more than make up for his rifle's "fit and finish"...

Steve

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 11:16am
Print Post  
SPG

I understand Chuck is the only guy who ever blew up one of your Ballard's and admitted it was a double charge. Not some mysterious detention problem with 4227 ?

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #19 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Ten-X,  from conversations with CC Johnson's grandson, Jerry, and from other contemporary accounts (and Johnson's own shop records) it seems safe to say that Charley did very little stock work for his customers.  It was not that he couldn't do it, it was just that he seems to have preferred to do the metal work for which he was justifiably famous and leave the wood work to those who specialized in that aspect of gun building.  Unfortunately, some of the CC Johnson high quality metalwork was offset or even overcome by the low quality, poorly thought out stock work that was done on his rifles by others (after they left his shop.)  Finding a rifle with Johnson's fine metal work that has a good, well thought out stock or one with the original wood conserved as part of the job is a real plus.  JMHO, of course, but I have owned one or two examples and have spent time talking with Jerry and reviewing the literature for various articles and projects.

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

SPG
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Actually he was the second guy. A shooter in Cody double charged with 2400 in a 45-70 shooting 400-grain jacketed bullets, not once, but twice and then wondered why the lever wouldn't snap tight anymore.

I thought that Chuck double-charged with H108...anyhow he did take the slack out of the action...bent lever pin that I had to drill out and the headspace went out about .015". The nice thing about a Ballard is that even with an overcharge they don't fail catastrophically. The first thing to show pressure is the lever pin (screw)...the action we sent to White's when we started production was taken to near .458 Mag pressures when it started to lose headspace and actually begin to shear the lever pin...bent the tail of the block, also.

Gute Ziele,

Steve

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #21 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Boats, SPG, etc.,

The only guns I've seen that actually came apart were 44 Stevens actions. One time a bunch of us were out shooting at Brea Range in California, Ray Day was shooting a very nice 44 Stevens in 32-40, and suddenly the gun exploded, luckily everything went downward, I think Ray only got a few nicks on his arm, as I recall the breech block had cracked. A friend of mine has double charged his favorite Ballard several times (a Marlin action) and although it needs some attention each time, he's still shooting it.

Bob

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #22 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
I was the first person to look at Chucks Ballard when he double charged it. He walked up to me with a pitifull look and said he just double charged his new Ballard. Then asked if I knew how to get it open. If I remember right I told him to put it away and worry about it later. About that time some knowledgeable Ballard shooters started in on it. One thing I knew for sure was the lever pin was bent. Chucks dead honest and a great offhand shooter.  I dont know who's rifles are uglier, Chucks or Martins.  Undecided   After thinking about it, I think I may have a runner up or two.  Roll Eyes

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Interesting, Blown up was too strong a phrase.  I suspect any of the modern reproductions will stand charges far higher than we use.   
Good to know if you do double charge one it's not going to cost you any fingers,

On Chuck, I watch his scores in ISSA.  If he shot bench rest at all no doubt would have won overall at that match at least once.  Asked him about it one time. He said offhand was the only thing he wants to shoot and suffers when the match has a bench leg

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #24 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Nov 17th, 2008 at 6:46pm:
Interesting, Blown up was too strong a phrase.  I suspect any of the modern reproductions will stand charges far higher than we use.  
Good to know if you do double charge one it's not going to cost you any fingers,

Boats

That may be true Boats, but considering that the weakness of the Ballard is in the design rather than the steel, I do beleive the old Marlin forged actions are superior in strength to the modern Ballard actions. 
Steve may not agree since he has an obvious bias.  As far as fingers go, dont count on not loosing some digits. I have pictures of a forged Ballard that let go. The owner has passed on and I dont see any problem posting the pics, if I can findum. To this day I dont beleive it was double charged.  I'll dig around and see if I can come up with those pictures.   Smiley  Note, you are certainly correct about modern barrel steels Boats.   Wink

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #25 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
I once had a Hi Wall in .22 Hornet, with both CC Johnson and Buhmiller's names on the barrel. It had some beautiful custom stocks, done in the typical 1950's varmint style, and wonderfully checkered.
I believe I would still have that gun had it not been for one glaring issue I just couldn't get past. Somebody cut the right side of the receiver down to aid in chambering and removing spent rounds! I often thought about having a piece welded in and restoring the action, but in the end I just traded it away, and let somebody else worry about it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Here is a photo of the questonable 1885. The wood is still proud of the metal but the action pits are "The Pits." Thoughts?

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Another of the complete rifle. The scope blocks and tang base were added by me for milling parts when purchaced.

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Make that MISSING, not milling! I guess I can't spell much anymore either. The barrel was already drilled and tapped when bought.

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 6:52am
Print Post  
Flatlander is the wood Winchester as from the Factory ? I don't know them well enough to tell from the photo. That could be the signifigant factor.  Figure the gun is 1/3 action 1/3 barrel and 1/3 stock then consider originality and condition for each part.   

To my eye your rifle has potential, lots of it, and the Johnson Barrel adds large to the appeal. But personaly would not pick it up off a sellers table in it's current conditon.  Of course everybodys eye is different. If it was mine it would go for a complete re-stock and finish preserving the barrel and markings.  It would be a real nice Schuetzen remodled, well worth investing the money.  It would also sell easy if you wanted too.   

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint