Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) breech seating ?? (Read 15867 times)
geronimo.tn
Participating Member

breech seating ??
Nov 3rd, 2008 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Newbie question here.

Someone please explain breech seating for me.

I've read on the forum that some use a 'tool' to breech seat and have also read that it can be done with just a 'plugged' case.  Huh

How is breech seating performed,  with black or smokeless powder and what are the reasons to breech seat?

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Re: breech seating ??
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
I'm a relative newbie to breech seating... essentially everthing I know I learned here in the last 6 months or so.

Happy to pass that on..

Breech seating is pushing your lead bullet into the rifling with whichever manner of tool is convenient and useful (more on that in a moment).  Then put your primed, powder charged case in after it.  Most often, with some sort of light wad on top to keep you from accidentally spilling any powder.

Typically, most folks seemt to think that a bullet should be seated fully in front of where the case ends in the chamber, and far enough into the rifling that the rifling engraves on the base-band of the bullet. 

As for the tool to put it there...
A case with a piece of dowel the right length in it (a "plug") will work if the rifle you're breech seating in has some camming force to the block.  That is, a rifle with a block that moves striaght up and down, with little or no bevel on the block face will be difficult to use a plugged case in... not much force can be applied.

There are also a number of different tools made for different actions that will seat the bullet into the rifleing. I don't know much about 'em... I have started out with a variation on the plugged case, made by a friend of mine.  It has a case, and a piston inside with a domed top in back.. It works well in my Aydt, but can't quite work in my Martini (not enough bevel on the block).

Now.. as for "why" to breech seat;
The theory (and remember, I'm new at it with relatively little experience) is that it can seat your bullet into the rifling more concentrically than using fixed ammo that whacks the bullet in the butt and makes it "jump" to the rifling.
I will say, that I have had better accuracy in my testing with the breech seated bullets I've tested than I had with the Stop-Ring bullets in my 8.15x46R Aydt. 

Hope this makes things a little clearer!
Paul F.

IP Logged

geronimo.tn
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Paul
Are you using black or smokeless powder??

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 12:16am
Print Post  
I'm using smokeless...

I don't think there's any reason not to use black, but I think (just my impression), that most folks tend to go with smokeless and breech seating, and fixed for black.
But if anyone who has more experience (that's almost everyone) contradicts that, listen to 'em Smiley

Paul F.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 7:08am
Print Post  
Paul gave good advice. Can give you some history. All 2nd hand. It was before my time.

In the late 1800's cartridge guns would not deliver the same performance as muzzle loaders.  Reason was loading the bullet from the muzzle deformed it less than squeezing it into a case and pushing it down the barrel cleaned the bore.  Methods were developed to load a cartridge gun from the muzzle seating the bullet on a plugged case or with a stopped ramrod. Then opening the breech and inserting a charged case loaded with Black powder.

Loading from the muzzle was inconvenient and soon the idea of pushing the bullet into the rifling from the breech end with some sort of lever device, pusher tool or the same plugged case developed. The primary advantage was introducing the bullet to the rifling with minimal disturbance, This method came into it's own when cleaner burning smokeless powders were developed.

Today breech seating is without a doubt the most accurate way to shoot plain base lead bullets.  It's just as effective smokeless or black powder. However black powder you do need a cleaning routine to get good results. Breech seating does nothing to clean the bore.

What people use depends on the results required and rules for a particular match. Fixed cartridges are more often used with black powder because of match rules that either don't allow breech seating or do not give the time required to breech seat bullets.

Schuetzen has plenty of time to load and the rifles have to be very accurate to be competitive, Most Schuetzen shooters breech seat.

Boats

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 10:52am
Print Post  
I question the advantages of breachseating. how do u know the bullet is straight in the bore. For me a good tight neck concentric chamber works best. Benchrest guns are the most accurate in the world.
they rely on a concentric tight neck to locate the bullet to the bore. cases last just as long to. I still have some of the original cases first fired in my guns and they havent changed none have been resized. Shoot, clean case, reprime, charge powder,slide bullet in case.shoot again. no fumbling with bullets or powder in chamber.
how many people here use a tight neck chamber?
tom

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 11:01am
Print Post  
I think Tom raises a good point... (though I'm experimenting with Breech seating and getting good results, I'm a little sceptical of it also...).

If you're BUILDING a rifle, I don't see much point in breech seating vs a properly dimensioned chamber and a good close tolerance fit.
However, if you've got a rifle that was originally built for breech seating, I think you're probably better off not fighting the chamber and throat dimensions by NOT trying to breech seat.

Paul F.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Screwloose hear what you are saying,

Breech is a whole lot less trouble. No case prep work.  I switched a fixed ammo BPCS rifle in 38/55 to a Breech seated Schuetzen and it performed better.  I always called it a 2 moa rifle when shooting fixed ammo. 2 moa was from cross sticks at 200 yards.

Now I call it a 1 1/2 Moa rifle. It will maintain that sort of performance on shot 100 of a Hudson match.  My other  offhand rifle in 32/40 using smokeless powder has only been breech seated so have no comparison. I think it's a 1 1/2 moa gun too.  Difference in performance fixed vs breech is not a lot but does make a difference in scores. Or does to my scores anyway.

Offhand rifles don't shoot worth a hoot from a bench rest though and thats what both of mine are.  I will run 10 round groups using a high front rest holding the muzzle with the rifles hook plate in my shoulder and elbows on the bench.  While the positon is not perfect when the shot breaks you know exactly were it should be on target.  

Improvement with the 38/55 when switching to breech seating was noticable.  Thats also how I came up with the 1 1/2 moa figure. the 32/40 or 38/55 barrel will keep them inside 3 inches at 200 yards anytime muzzle and elbow rest.

Proper bench rest set up it could be better. 3 inches at 200 is not going to win a bench rest match at our club. Guys that are winning bench rest matches in a bench rest stocked rife and with the same loads breech seated are getting better results. It takes 3/4 moa to clean the ASSRA target. 

But the main reason I Breech seat is less trouble.

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Tom and Paul, you may be right.  Keep doing it that way if you wish, meanwhile I will continue to shoot the way I have seen the majority of the winners at a variety of Schuetzen venues (both offhand and bench) shoot... breech seated.  I also have seen my personal groups shrink and scores rise breech seating, but you may be doing something more right than the current majority of top shooters.  That's why we actually score the targets, to find out.

Regards,
GreenFrog

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
like paul said if i were building a new rifle i would not consider breach seating. My tight neck loads are within .0005 concentricity cant check concentricity with bullet shoved into rifling. agood chamber is the answer to accuracy & a lot of practice. easier is the less u have to fool with. my 30/30 wesson martini will usually put ten into less than an inch with a couple of cast bullets. i also have a 7mm ihsma in a m/s sporter that is the same way.i think if it works in benchrest it should also work off hand.tight groups require consistancy.
tom

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #10 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Breech seating is more accurate, but only if you have a good seater that actually inserts the bullet in a concentric manner; and allows you to refine your powder load to better fine tune your barrel's sweet spot when the breech seater is adjustable.

The other good point is breech seating means you don't have to size cases. Then you can fire them at least a hundred times without needing to replace them (until primer pocket wears out). However fixed ammo brass stretches more, requires trimming, sizing and neck thickness adjustments and then it cracks from the sizing opertations after about 10 uses.

Breech seating is much less expensive, requires less time and labour; plus is more accurate when the seater is adjusted properly.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Minor point of contention...
A benchrest chamber in the bolt-action competition sense of the word will have almost zero clearance above the outside neck diameter, and will ALSO require no sizing, and last for hundreds of firings (and that's in a higher pressure realm than schutzen...).

I won't take a stand on which (fixed or breech seated) better aligns the bullet with the bore, and/or which is more accurate.  I dunno... I have a few more years of shooting before I can give an opinion backed up by personal experience on that score.

Paul F.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
It's all voo-doo! Those with the best ritual win! Grin

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
      When we insert a bullet into a case all sorts of bad things start to happen, but if we jump through enough hoops we can get close to breechseating.  If modern brenchrest shooters could breechseat a jacketed bullet thats exactly what they would be doing.   leadball

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 9:05pm
Print Post  

Quote:

It's all voo-doo! Those with the best ritual win! Grin

You're giving away the secrets of the sport!
Now you must sacrifice 3 groundhogs, or 6 grey squirrels (whichever is native to your area), and use their fat to brew a batch of "special magic scheutzen bullet lube"... (which you don't actually have to USE... just TELL people you're using...)

Cheesy Wink Wink Wink

Paul F.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint