Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 74 SHARPS .22LR (Read 2389 times)
contrary_kid
Ex Member

74 SHARPS .22LR
Oct 29th, 2008 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
I know this might sound crazy -but-I want to take a 74 C. Sharps in 40-70 SS and make it into a .22LR. I do not want to convert the breech block to rimfire but want to put a Ron K Smith .22LR gain twist barrel blank that I own mounted with the chamber offset so that the .22LR fires with the centerfire fireing pin. This way if I want to put the 40-70SS barrel back on I can. Would this work and who would be the best gunsmith for the job ? Since I know that this kind of a conversion has been done before, I would like a gunsmith who has experience with this type of coversion.   Thanx   Bernie

IP Logged

acelungger
Ex Member

Re: 74 SHARPS .22LR
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Hi Bernie, 
SSDave has give you good advice! If it was me, I would order the 22LR conversion kit from Lee Shaver $150.-$189. I think he went to the $189.00 price! Simple to install, My friend bought one, installed it, he has shot over 2500 rounds threw it, I have seen him put 3 shots in the same hole at 50 yards! I shot it the other night and almost put 2 in the same hole at 100 yards, the second shot just opened the hole a little bit. This was shooting a Browning Hi Wall in a lead sled on a beench! He is to get his new 80% Sharps in 22LR out of Dodge City Kansas anytime! And I get the kit!! I can't wait!!!
This is only my option, which isn't worth much! But what I have told you is the truth. I was going to go get one, because I only live 60 miles from Lee's shop, but when My friend ordered his 22 sharps, since I sold a truck for him, he ask me if I would like to have his kit for helping get rid of the truck?
I said you bet!
ACE

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
contray_kid;
                  You might consider buying a Charles Daly "Little Sharps" in 22RF from Impact guns for $899--then you will have two Sharps. leadball

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
I believe that Dave Crossno makes a removable 22 rf liner system that is offset so you csan use the standard centerfire block and pin.   you MIGHT be able to get him to turn your smith barrel down to use.  that way you'll get a "3-furr"  keep your original gun, have a 22 rf AND the smith barrel.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Glenn Fewless converted his Remington Rolling Block with a .22 liner conversion (takes about 3 minutes to convert). While on a visit to my home, I took him to our .22 Silhouette match and he set a new record for iron sights. Terrific shooting rifle AND rifleman.

If I wanted one to convert, Glenn would get the nod without hesitation.

Dale53

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint