Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) bad news (Read 8032 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

bad news
Oct 27th, 2008 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: bad news
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
I've been reading this and other reports on the death all week. 
I'm about over my irrational hopes for deaths for some involved/responsible, suing into poverty others, eradication of the Westfield club, and other punishments.

I'm sure that someone will explain that the right to shoot machine guns is worth the life of an 8-year-old child. 

In 1968, after RFK and MLK and my brother Tom (vietnam) were killed, I silently quit the gun hobby for about 6-8 years. 

This puts me in the same frame of mind. 

I was really pissed, now I'm mostly sad.
joe b.

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Joe,

Does this story make you want tot stop driving? (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
It is a senseless death, and a sad affair, but irrational thinking, and responses don't make any more sense. Maybe we should stop doing anything that might somehow be involved in death.

IP Logged

contrary_kid
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Joe, I agree with your point of view. I have the same reaction as you. And yes, we should stop doing anything that causes death. I often find the human race to be warped when it comes to protecting our rights at all cost. Bernie

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
When something like this happens the proper and sensible action is to learn from the incident and make sure it is not repeated. Guns are dangerous, cars are dangerous, power tools are dangerous, life is dangerous and none of us ever get out of here alive. Quiting doing anything is not the answer. Quiting doing stupid things that get people needlesly killed is the answer.

IP Logged

OLReliable

Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 12:34am
Print Post  
A father (a physician) put a live machine gun into the hands of his son. His son didn't have the upper body strength to control the live fire, and he shot himself.

Generally, people only become responsible when given responsibility. One or more people who were given responsibility acted irresponsibly and a horrible price was paid. Who is responsible (?) ..... no one is admitting fault, everyone is being blamed, and all are pointing fingers elsewhere. THAT/THOSE act(s) of not accepting responsibility, once having accepted it, is equally reprehensible. 

It's not the National Park Service's fault for allowing Cub Scouts to start a campfire that ultimately burns-down a forrest. The Westfield Sportsman's Club begrudgingly provided an opportunity for an outside group Police/ ParaMilitary Weapons Training Group to provide a supervised machine gun exhibition, as they have without incident for several years passed. 

So, where does fault lie? Club? Training Group? Instructors (there were two, one on each side of the boy)? Father? Boy? Second Amendment? You pick ONE. No one else seems to be able to.

Gary
Westfield Sportsman's Club
( and yes, I voted for not allowing the exhibition)

OLR
wyyyyyyy iiiyyyyyy awwwttta ......

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
I assume you're getting all your guns together to sell? Afterall, they can and have caused death. Probably selling the cars, kitchen knives, baseball bats, etc.?
Yes, the fault lies with all those mentioned, except the boy. Everyone who was in a position to allow the boy to fire a mini-Uzi witha cyclic rate of 1600 rounds a minute should have stopped the father from handing this gun to his son, as it is a handful for adults to use, let alone a small boy. 
Better judgement on the part of all involved is the answer, not over reaction or rash thinking. Anyone who thinks that lawsuits or wishes of "death" for those involved will fix this, needs some serious mental help themselves.

IP Logged

ernierodbp
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
I read the story about the death of an 8 year boy using a machine gun with his parent and instructor present. It is a sad story. I feel both the parent and the instructor should receive jail time. This wasn't an accident. It was beyond stupidy or irresponsible-it was well into criminal negligence. Anyone with a modicum of common sense would NEVER let a person who is totally unfamiliar with the pulling of a trigger and the reaction which follows-do this. These people make it bad for everyone else.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Sadly there are far too few parents or fathers who are willing to teach their kids safe gun handling at an early age. A typical example can be seen here:- (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

This bloody idiot is damned lucky to get away without injury. You can tell by the look on his face in the last second or so of the clip, he had no idea that the pistol was loaded.  I wonder what his excuse was when he was asked where the bullet hole came from?.

Harry

IP Logged

c.robertson
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Amazing. The man's child is killed in a stupid accident and it is suggested he get 'jail time' for punishment. 
Really want to 'punish' the dad some more?? HOW???? 
He will live his life in a prison of guilt, what more would be worse??

IP Logged

ernierodbp
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 8:22am
Print Post  
C.R.-My comment had nothing to do with punishment. It has to do with the fact that the vast majority of people in our country absolutely refuse  to accept responsibility for their actions.Too many young people are involved in firearm accidents/deaths /murders because adults allowed the firearms to be accessible or mis-used. I don't see this changing unless "gross incompetence/stupidity" is aggressively prosecuted by our society with it's existing laws. Perhaps SOME firearm deaths could be prevented.Cheers
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2008 at 8:36am by »  

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 7:23am
Print Post  
This unfortunate incident hits us all in multiple and different ways as shown by the range of comments.
The tragic death of an innocent child rings all of our bells. 
As (I assume) responsible and relatively experienced gun owners who enjoy our chosen interest we have a tendency to be a bit defensive about it because of a history of adverse opinion in this country.   We react strongly to what appears to be a an incident of tragic gross stupidity in part because we understand that it will just mean another fresh load of grist for the mills of those who neither understand or share our interest (or who choose to use it to further their own political agendas).

Most states have a rather complex series of laws that offer escalating degrees of culpability/punishment when a humen life is lost.  One can only hope that the legal authorities will evaluate the event and assign the proper level of responsibility free of political pressure.   Sadly by then it will be "old news" and the profit and politically driven news media will fail to report it as they did when it was a hot sensational story.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

stevens52

Reply #13 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Maybe we should quit selling and making electricity. It's killed too many people. Trained and untrained, intentionally and accidentally. It's just inherently too dangerous.

IP Logged

contrary_kid
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Stevens52
To compare the tragic death of a boy to electricity is just plain stupid. Grow up. Events that put a machine gun in the hands of a private citizen have no place in our society. Machine guns should be for military and police use only. I will always defend the constitution, and did so 1965-1966. Just in case any of you think I live in an anti gun state, I own a ranch in the great state of Montana, where my great grandparents homesteaded. At this stage of life I try to only associate with reasonably intelligent people, so I am done with this thread.  Bernie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint