Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Re:  Information on 33-47 needed (Read 5050 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re:  Information on 33-47 needed
Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Ken, I have an original Winchester barrel (#3 octagon) rebored from .32-40 to .338 by Segrist (sp?)  I haven't shot it a whole lot, but it shows a lot of promise with a couple of the 200+ gr bullets Ideal used to make.  The original .32-40 chamber was retained so I just have been breech seating, but that's what I like to do with my high-walls anyway.  Oh yeah, this is a 1 in 10 twist also, IIRC.

Froggie

IP Logged

mriisj assra Life

Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Ken I have a 33-47 reamer with removable pilot on order at Manson Reamers that you can borrow if you need when it is finnish.

Michael

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Ken,

I don't know who told you the 1 in 10 twist .338 wasn't suitable for schuetzen, but please share with me, since that's what I was planning on doing with mine.  Use a PM if you would rather, or you have my e-mail and phone number.  I'm a little baffled.

Charlie (the Frog)

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Frog. Winchester offered the Hiwall in .33WCF with a 12" twist. The standard loading for .33WCF was with a 200 gr bullet. I would think then that a 10" twist would handle 200Gr and over bullets with ease. I hunted for many years with a Model 86 Winchester in .33WCF and found it to be very accurate for a hunting rifle. HTH, Regards FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reassurance, FITZ.  I know the barrel I have seems like it really wants to shoot, so I figured a high-wall "special sporter" would give me a good all around iron sights gun.  Now if I can just get some time to do a nice stock for it.  So many projects, so little time!!  Roll Eyes

Froggie

PS  Are you headed down to see Jim any time soon?  I'd love to get together with you guys and chew the fat a little.  Maybe we could even do some shooting or something radical like that!  GF

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Ken,

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, or looking for frustration, or whatever, but I have a #5 Pacific in an unavailable caliber that would look real good with a .33-47 barrel on it.  Let me know what you want for it if you do decide to sell.   Cool

Regards,
Froggie

PS  If it DOES prove unusable as a .33-47 schuetzen barrel, I guess I can always chamber it out to .33 Win or whatever.  Huh

IP Logged

mriisj assra Life

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 6:13am
Print Post  
Does anyone know what rifling pope used in his 33-47?

I know that in his 32-40 he used 1in 14 twist with a bore of .316 don’t know the grooves though

Ken, I went by Ron Petersen 14 days ago and he had a beautiful Ballard with a heavy Pope barrel in 33-47 for sale, to my disadvantage it was sold the day before I arrived by what he called a regular costumer Sad

Michael

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Michael, I believe that Pope used gain twist on his .33-40s as a matter of preference.  I would be guessing at a start and finish twist rate, but would expect the final to be pretty quick since the bullets he made for them were a bit on the heavy side.  Maybe one of our more collector/historical type folks can chime in with a more specific set of info.

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint