Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Jerking the trigger (Read 4967 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Jerking the trigger
Oct 24th, 2008 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
As part of my offhand progression post guys have mentioned jerking the trigger, It's the other side of hanging too long and not breaking the shot.  Not to say I have it licked but jerking the trigger is not a big issue, have some methods to keep it under control.

First thing is your finger needs some warm up, not a good idea to go from cold to expecting good control. This is no different from other sports, baseball player swings the bat before coming up to the plate or practice swings golfers take.  I always put some repetitive motion exercises into place before addressing the trigger take up.  Schuetzen pull on the trigger rest instead of the trigger, Modern rifle tap my finger on the side of the trigger guard.

If the jerk is going to be a problem though you really need to pull the trigger and work it out, Dry fire is the way to go and will often dry fire during a match, re-shoot a miss dry, cock the trigger and dry fire a number of shots off before cocking the hammer and re-loading the rifle for the real shot,

Got into a problem one Small Bore Silhouette national match this way. Missed the first easy pig and raised the bolt short and dry fired a number of times with 4 unfired cartridges in the magazine to work it out. Then went on and finished the other 4 shots.  Scorer questioned it and called me out for too many shots fired. Had to prove the magazine only held 5 and unless he showed some rule against it no limit on how many times the trigger was pulled, only on shots fired. It was settled in my favor.  None of this helped shooting a good score but other than that time have never had a problem with it.

Anyway won't say I cannot jerk the trigger but if the tendency raises it's head that's what I do about it.

Boats

IP Logged

John Louis
Ex Member

Re: Jerking the trigger
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Boats you said a mouth full and thank you for saying it!

That is the most truthfull statement I have heard in a long long time.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 8:25am
Print Post  
boats wrote on Oct 24th, 2008 at 3:11pm:

Not to say I have it licked but jerking the trigger is not a big issue, have some methods to keep it under control.
Boats

You are one of the disciplined shooters whom I love to watch go through the 'routines' of off-hand shooting - to see what I can do to improve my shabby techniques.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Cat go to School on the shooter that wins most of our offhand matches.  He has every part of the equation down right.  If Bob shot big matches we would see his name often.  It would do me good to sit down and make notes from his routine, although watching him half a dozen years I think I could do it from memory.

It's the small things added up that make a difference.

Boats

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:15am
Print Post  
I was talking to C Blender last night on the phone about this post [jerking the trigger] he said in his opinion good trigger control was more important than a rock steady hold.
     I also agree, Bob H is very good offhand shooter, probably at least in the top five or ten offhand  schuetzen shooters in the country.    leadball

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Oddly enough, I feel that bench shooting has helped my offhand shooting to this degree, when shooting from the bench, the trigger pull step is the only thing I have to concentrate on when it is occurring.  Charlie Dell watched over my shoulder as I started shooting the Penguin and made sure I was getting a good release without jerk or overtravel, something pretty difficult to see in offhand.  See it he did, and you can bet he let me know when I did it wrong!  Then I noticed my OH trigger technique more, or I should say, could concentrate on fixing what was wrong with it.  YMMV, of course!

Froggie

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Leadball Chuck is in the top half dozen thats for sure, and very good about sharing his knowledge.   

Boats

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
boats;
        C. Blender does have a lot of offhand knowledge he could share, he has a computer ,but his sister says he's not smart enough to even access his e-mail.  When a post about offhand appears [such as your's] I usually call him and have a discussion on the matter. We had a talk the other night about German rifles, I have one that fits me like a glove, but he feels they don't fit most offhand shooters, too much drop, etc.  leadball

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 5:40am
Print Post  
LeadB,

Could be not using a computer is smart after all.

Boats

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
How do you get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! The few times that I’ve shot decent offhand scores were when I had been practicing. Air rifle practice is good, 75 foot gallery practice is better, 100 and 200 yard offhand practice are the best! Successful offhand shooting requires discipline and lots of practice, as your sights (iron or crosshair) cross the middle of the target; the finger should automatically touch the trigger and BANG! It's hand-eye coordination, if you have to think about pulling the trigger, it won’t be a good shot, also you have to stay on target for a moment and not let the sights wander, when shooting a center fire rifle, after the rifle recoils back you should bring the sights back to the middle of the target again, don’t let yourself relax and drop the sights down until well after the shot has been made. Now, do as I say, not as I do, and get out there and practice!

Bob
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2008 at 6:49pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint