Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) American Gun Co (McGowan Barrels) High Wall-SOON! (Read 17755 times)
R.Dupraz
Ex Member

Re: American Gun Co (McGowan Barrels) High Wall-SO
Reply #15 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Highwall:

Your are in the middle of exactly what I had just about decided to do. Give C-Sharps a call and get one of their in the white actions. From what I have seen that was about the only option if one wanted to build something and do your own work. Cause I refuse to pay the exhorbant prices that are asked for these things by others. After learning about the American Gun Co. and reading your post, I am very glad that I waited. However, the real test will come when I can have one of these hiwalls in my hands. Time will tell I guess.

Regards
RD

IP Logged

Highwall Jack
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
RD,

Don't get me wrong, the C. Sharps based gun is going to turn out nice, but the action shouldn't have had so many the things needing to be fixed, especially considering the price.  

When I talked to C. Sharps about the block and bent firing pin, they told me to send them the original firing pin.  I assumed that they wanted to see for them selves, but nooooo.  They just straightened the original firing pin back out and sent it back to me.   I could have done that myself in about 5 minutes if that was a good solution.  So now I've got a gun that I intend to shoot competitively with that has a firing pin that is likely to fail, and they tell me that they don't sell parts.  What a sack of A-holes.

Stamping their logo and the serial number on the side of the action, instead of putting it on the tang where it belongs also hacked me off.

I'm primarily a target shooter, BPCR Silhouette, Creedmoor, and hopefully next year the Quigley and the Lunger's mile match.  So I consider a set trigger a must.  My favorite Highwall configuration is the double set trigger with the spur lever and a pistol grip.   I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready to start another gun, probably next spring, these folks will have gotten around to building that configuration.  Otherwise I'll probably go back to plan "A" and buy an Uberti just for the action.   The Uberti will definitely need an internal cleanup, but will be about $500 cheaper and probably won't have any unfortunate surprises.

I guess my best other alternative would be to find an original Highwall that someone had bastardized into a varmit rifle and return it to respectability.  Decent originals are out of my price range, as are Ballards and Meachams.

If AGC makes theri projected roll out date, there should be plenty of feedback regarding their quality before decision time next spring.

Keeping my fingers crossed...... Cool Cool Cool

Jack

IP Logged

Tar_Baby
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
JACK   

i have one bastard varmint hw for your consideration that winchester did up for some one.  219 zipper  no 3 round barrel.

IP Logged

JDA
Participating Member

Reply #18 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Highwall Jack,

You could do worse than a Uberti highwall action.  I've had one for about 12 years now and the thing I like best about it is that nothing ever breaks or wears out.  I do have a Badger 45-90 barrel on and the rifle shoots very well indeed.

As for the new kid on the block, American Gun Company, I emailed them the other day wanting one in .22 rimfire.  Sorry, they say.  Don't make one.  I guess I'll just buy components, as Richard, and just build one myself.

JDA

IP Logged

JDA
Participating Member

Reply #19 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
SSdave,

Check your PM's

JDA

IP Logged

Mike_Hunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 10:33am
Print Post  
The only thing that bothers me is that they are making the frames out of 4140 steel.  Very good, tough steel which is excellent for frames,  but is not ideal for conventional Color Case Hardening.  SAE 4140 steel has .40% carbon, adding any more carbon (Color Case Hardening) could cause the metal to become too brittle. 

I understand that thy are having the frames cast by the Shilo Sharps foundry; Shilo Sharps has the capability to cast both 4140 and 8620,  SAE 8620 is a lot more user friendly when doing conventional CCH.

I e-mailed AGC to see if they would offer the HW frames in 8620, we will see what happens..

Mike Hunter
Hunter Restorations
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2008 at 3:16pm by Mike_Hunter »  

Mike Hunter

IP Logged

acelungger
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Mike, My Action Kit, came from Shiloh Sharps, it is a C.Sharp Hi Wall, I emailed and ask what mine was cast out of, and Randy told me it was 8620. So has the American Gun Co. ask them to make them out of 4140?
Will I need to do any harding, with mine being made out of 8620?I can't make up my mine if I can finish it. When I mentioned selling it, I had just got a email about some parts that I had been chasing down for my Clerke Hi Wall, but now I havn't heard back from the guy on price.
If I didn't have a blown out lower back, i how enough about running a mill, to do every thing butt threading the reciever and theading the barrel. Later Mike!
ACE

IP Logged

Mike_Hunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 11:03am
Print Post  
ACE

This was covered in another post (which has disappeared)

8620 is more than adequate for a Highwall frame. Shilo Sharps, Ballard, Winchester/Browning all used it for their HW actions.   8620 is also considered a Case Hardening Steel which makes it ideal for Color Case Hardening. 

For firearm frames you generally want steel with a hard wearing outer layer and a softer inner core to absorb shock and reduce cracking/warping. 

4140 is excellent steel, but it’s a thru hardening steel (the hardness goes thru the steel, no soft inner core).  4140 is also an OIL quenching steel, quenching oil quench steel in water, cools the material too quickly.  Problems with quenching oil hardening steel in water can cause non uniform hardening, warping and cracking. 

Since Color Case Hardeing requires quenching in water; 4140 is an inappropriate material for this.  Today’s steels purposely are designed for specific applications, 4140 was not designed for case hardening, 8620 was. 

An example I used earlier:  Bar chain oil is an excellent lubricant, but you’re not going to put that in you family car.  Use the correct material for the job. 

Now 4140 can be case hardened, by induction hardening… but neither you nor I have the money for this, and besides the colors look terrible. 

Considering that Shilo’s foundry can cast either 4140 or 8620,  little if any price difference between the two materials, 8620 casts nicely, easier to machine, and takes blue well, to me its an ideal frame material. 

I’m not quite sure why AG Co. is making frames strictly out of 4140, they really need to consult a metallurgist. They are a barrel manufacturer, they use plenty of 4140 for barrels, more than likely they are used to dealing with it… but they don’t Color Case Harden Barrels. 

A simple check in Machinery’s Handbook , American Society of Metals (ASM) Metals Handbook or quick Google search on quenching 4140 in water; answers will range from “Not Recommended”  to “Don’t do it” 

Mike Hunter
Hunter Restorations

Mike Hunter

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #23 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Perhaps they're only going offer their actions in a blued finish like the later Winchester Hiwalls?

Bob

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Knowing it might insult some of you "purest", I hesitate to bring this up, but will anyway.  Winchester is currently offering Miroku manufactured M1885 BPCR and Creedmoor models with color case hardened receivers.  But the color case process is a potassium-cyanide-based technology.  From my point of view they have quite brilliant colors and are very attractive, but I don't know the type of steel used in modern Winchester/Browning receivers.

This brings up a good question for Mike Hunter, the compatibility of SAE 4140 with a potassium-cyanide-based process?  Based on the little I know about the process I'd expect the results would be less dependent on the carbon content in the steel.  But this is a subject I know little about.  By the way, Winchester and Browning use Signal Mountain Gun Works, out of Roundup, MT to do the color case hardening.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
I asked the Product Manager at Browning/Winchester about the material used in their modern 1885 High Wall receivers.  His response was, "All of the 1885 receivers are made of heat treated 4140."  Following are 4 examples of the potassium-cyanide color-case-hardened Winchester receivers.

Wayne

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Click on photo to enlarge

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint