Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Unification of rules re: shooting jackets, classes (Read 12574 times)
dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Unification of rules re: shooting jackets, classes
Oct 19th, 2008 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
ASSRA permits shooting jackets. 

ISSA does not permit shooting jackets.

WSU permits jacket in it's "open class".

Suggestion: That ASSRA and ISSA adopt the WSU sytem of classes; traditonal class means equipment dating to appx. pre-1917, repros. of
course permitted. No shooting jackets. Open class means just that; modern striker actions, modern scopes, shooting jackets, pants,etc.

In the past few months I've talked with a number of HP shooters who are
reluctant to start a new competition without bringing in their usual shooting apparel. Your thoughts please.

fred

p.s. No horse in this race, I'll always shoot in my cleanest dirty t-shirt.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Re: Unification of rules shooting jackets, classes
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
No real position here either...
'Cept to say that I kinda got into Schutzen to get away from the overly "equpiment raced" Highpower rules.

I like the "run what you brung" sort of matches run in my area.  Of course, since I'm the match director, I try to engender that in my matches.   
If the rules called for it, I'd abide by shooting coats, or classes, etc...
But I do kinda prefer a "stand on your hind legs, shoulder to shoulder with everyone else, and shoot" atmosphere.

Paul F.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
I don't think there's anything wrong with the ASSRA rules.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
we tried a combination of assra and wsu matches the past 2 years, and yesterday at the tssra membership meeting we voted out the wsu matches, and rules.
keep it simple
irish

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
As the match organizer of the Chinquapin matches, I would speak in favor of leaving things "as is."  If somebody wants to shoot with a jacket, fine; if not, that's fine too.  At the last match the two top shooters were one of each style, and oddly the jacket had a classic rifle and the shirtsleeves had a modern action.  Go figure!!  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  Wink

Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
This mentality of "doing whatever it takes to win" is what turns off many shooters from competitive shooting. When people get caught up in using everything that's legal, rather than just enjoying the event, it ends up with a few people desperate to be the best, and the rest just tired of it.
I like Froggie's attitude, just have a good time and don't worry about what the other guys are wearing!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 6:36am
Print Post  
Agree with Froggy, Don't complicate it, leave the rules open to shoot whatever somebody likes. That makes it more accessable to new shooters.

I think about how many people shoot our offhand matches. If we break it down into more categories it leaves few competitors in each class.  

Boats
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2008 at 6:42am by boats »  

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Quote:

'Cept to say that I kinda got into Schutzen to get away from the overly "equpiment raced" Highpower rules.

I like the "run what you brung" sort of matches run in my area. 
Paul F.

Agree.  We need a category for iron sights only - in calibers under .40 so I don't have to use the .458WM for the only category of ONLY iron sights.   Shocked

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 7:31am
Print Post  
Why does the ASSRA have to change there rule to fit in with other Assoc.
that came into being after the ASSRA!  Angry
The other Assoc. made changes to fit there idea of how they wanted to shoot! Which is just fine! Wink
But WHY do we the ASSRA need to change anything! Undecided
It is just fine the way it is!!!!!! Wink

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #9 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 8:26am
Print Post  
An additional humble suggestion... it is for the interested new shooter to find what he wants to do, and ask of the organization what he should use to do it by their rules.  If he likes what they are doing, he can join them.   Smiley

My strategy was to look at the various organizations I would like to shoot with (or might expect to have a chance to get into) and assemble my rifle and shooting kit to suit the most restrictive set of rules.  By default, the more liberal rules would be met and I wouldn't have to change anything.  If the prospective shooter decides to specialize in or concentrate on one specific discipline or organization, he will probably be upgrading his gear for that one anyway.   Cool

CatWhisperer, the categories you mention exist in ASSRA at larger matches.  We just don't have enough shooters at CSV to offer every match that exists across the boards.  If there is enough interest, I would love to have an any caliber iron sights match, perhaps at 100 yds for bench or offhand... if enough attending shooters request it, I will add it to the June program.  That will give me an excuse to drag out another high-wall!  Wink

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Froggie

PS  I also would like to reiterate what Jim said;  The biggest reason these other organizations exist is that their founders wanted to do something different from what was already being done since the late '40s by ASSRA.  That does not mean we have to change to accommodate their wishes, they have their own organizations for that purpose.

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 9:15am
Print Post  
           I've seen the same off hand shooter shoot good and not so good scores with and without jackets.  I will keep trying to do my best without a jacket and not worry about the guy on the next bench.
           The rules "or maybe the lack of rules" is what makes the Assra the best --it really is a "shoot what you brung" match.
            As far as conbining our rules with Issa or WSU, it will probably never happen, I get very up-tite whenever the word traditional is used, it means "lets have a match I can win."   leadball

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Actualy it's my opinion a tight shooting coat is a disavantage offhand. Not everybody see's it that way but it's OK with me if somebody wants to hinder his offhand positon.

Tubb shoots Match rifles offhand with his coat on but unsnapped. And has won more than one Silouette championship with just a light vest. He claims in his book strapped in does not let you control the rifle as well.

I have one wear it smallbore prone but want no parts of a tight coat offhand.

Boats

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #12 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Green_Frog wrote on Oct 20th, 2008 at 8:26am:

CatWhisperer, the categories you mention exist in ASSRA at larger matches.  We just don't have enough shooters at CSV to offer every match that exists across the boards.  If there is enough interest, I would love to have an any caliber iron sights match, perhaps at 100 yds for bench or offhand... if enough attending shooters request it, I will add it to the June program.  That will give me an excuse to drag out another high-wall!  Wink
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Froggie

THANKS!  (AND thank you for including the .40 and ^ iron sights categories too.)  I enjoy these because of the challange of shooting off hand without the overhead of having to put the high-dollar scope on everything.  Scopes have their place, but ANY SIGHTS means in practice "use the scope unless you're planning on doing the best".

It also makes it easier to bring in new folks.  But that may not be a concern of some folks  Tongue .

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
As I said in the initial post, I don't have a horse in the race. A couple of comments, I own recognize one serious offhand shooter in the replies a fact which lead me to do a bit more research. After browing through several years of the ISSA* shoot report, ASSRA scores as listed in the Journal, and what has been printed in Black Powder Cartridge News it became obvious that if a very modest 2000 points in the Hudson Match
were the cutoff, above that indicating some offhand shooting skill, it 
appears that only about 20 current shooters reach that level of competency!! Hence, I guess it does not make any differance as all of the above-mentioned 20 probably know what scores their fellow shooters post, and which ones use jackets.

fred

* Since the ISSA matches offhand are 50 shots at the international shoot I just doubled those 50 shot scores.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Dick you hit it on the head. 

2000 is the break point with 2100 a good shooters score.  I will say in the 100 shot match scores over 2000 represent hard earned points.  With anything over 2100 a real accomplishment.    

ASSRA has very few offhand shooters at that level so the rules on coats are relatively unimportant.   Nobody I know that shoots offhand worries about it.   

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint