Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Unification of rules re: shooting jackets, classes (Read 12587 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Unification of rules shooting jackets, classes
Reply #15 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Just a probably irrelevant comment here:  it seems like only a relatively small percentage of the shooters I see at Etna Green (my limited perspective) do any offhand shooting.  as just a WAG I'd guess less than 25%.  not sure why but maybe the physical demands are more than many can or are willing to handle.

I'd never shot any offhand in my life until I started trying with the 22rfs a year or so ago.  it is a long slow learning curve for me.  but I'M HAVING AN ABSOLUTE BALL trying!!!!!!  someday maybe when I grow up Wink I'll try centerfire.
  I REALLY appreciate the addition of the 100 shot/100 yard rimfire mini-hudson--any time I can mange to shoot a few less 10's than my last match I feel pretty good.

I've tried shooting both with and without a tightly fitting vest and am not convinced either way yet.  I'm perfectly happy with the rules the way they are at present

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #16 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
If it aint broke,don't fix it. FITZ>

FITZ

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #17 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 9:59am
Print Post  
It’s always something. If the ASSRA is against it then we’re not inclusive, if we allow it than we need a special class. How bout we just show up and shoot?

40 Rod

IP Logged

Wapiti

Reply #18 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Dick, 

Your issue is, in effect, with the ISSA. If you check I think you'll find that of the "Founding Fathers" only one even owned a coat, although most of them were shooting the ASSRA postals.

This issue came up at the membership meetings for the first few years at Raton, but when a BOD member says " I've been TOLD a coat doesn't make any difference" you'll understand why the rules are what they are.

Don't spit into the wind! Grin

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Yes, don't spit in the wind. But I'll bet a properly fitted shooting jacket is worth at least 75 points in the Hudson match. We had an assortment of them at the Fairfax Club some years back and test results i.e. score improvement were eye opening. These jackets were NRA-type very heavy. One comment was that when properly strapped "I could not have
broken wind". As far as being "no help" just talk to the high power shooters. Again, I'll just keep shooting in those old t-shirts.

fred

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Dick no doubt a lot of the high power shooters swear by them but some of the best high power shooters don't strap in tight.

I never shot much match rifle but did shoot a lot of service rifle matches while in the Reserve and my take on the offhand skill level with over the course shooters is not real good.  Fact that a lot of guys wear jackets to me is not a ringing endorsement of jackets.

Best offhand shot in America today is Silouette and tight jackets are not allowed. We get a lot of high power guys that come to our Silouette matches, and very few ever make a showing.  Couple of cross over guys are pretty good though. in fact one of our best High power Silouette shooters is ex Service rifle and he claims the jacket makes no difference to him at all.

Anyway for Schuetzen in ASSRA it's shooters choice.  If I thought I could get some points out of one for my Hudson match would surely put the one gathering dust in my closet on.

Boats

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Try that jacket. If it's very thick length of pull could be a problem. Jim Luke shot a Hudson a couple of weeks ago using an ISU jacket which
is limited to 2mm thickness. This was his first attempt at using a jacket, shot a 2297 which in considerably higher then he has shot in recent years. Jim is a superb shot, I was there at the Fairfax Club in 1992 when he shot an incredible 2321 without jacket, Ballard rifle.
fred

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Dick I would sell my soul for 75 points on the Hudson.  Mine is a ISU too.  Used when I was working out of the country and all I could shoot was the "English" match. 50M  Smallbore prone. They shoot under ISU rules.

I have shot the 10 M Air Rifle offhand some with it. Can't get the Gun to balance well with a palm rest, No hook to the buttplate like a Schuetzen, the rifle does not feel like it's anchored well with just a T shirt.  Anyway shoot it off hand held in the palm close to the trigger guard, elbow on the Shooting coat rather than hip rest. Everything is sticky so it gives a pretty good position.  And Using the ISU style glove.  Shoot the same rifle and target with a Silhouette vest too and can see the difference.

My two Schuetzens hang a lot different than the Air Gun. Steady due to the high cheek piece palm rest and hook plate.  My body can swing too but always go for a neutral point of aim, the rifle can swing back and forth but always wants to come back to center.  It's a fluid feel that I think I would miss strapped in.

But you never know, I may well give it a try indoors over the winter.  Luke and Blender ? just good shooters that's there key.

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #23 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 8:34am
Print Post  
I still have a lasting memory of shooting with in a match with Jim McDermett on a hot muggy July day. He had on a shooting jacket and was soaked with sweat to his knees. At the end of each relay it looked like he was going to pass out. How that helped his shooting is beyond me. But that is why they make chocolate and vanilla.

40 Rod

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 9:58am
Print Post  
40 thats why they wear layers of sweatshirts under them , not for me thank you

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #25 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Dick, that was not Jim's first use of the jacket, as he used it a month ago @ Chinquapin.  I don't know whether that was his first outing with a jacket either, but I do know he used it at that time.

Froggie

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #26 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Yes, that's the shoot I was refering to, I think Chuck Blender shot a 2185.

fred

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint